Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Interesting Find-Leather Insulated jackets/bibs
- By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-10-2014 17:40
As some of our more seasoned folks know I have an issue with welding clothing suppliers and mostly the lack of any true gear for welders when it comes to cold weather that you don't have to buy two and three times a year. Jackets, bibs and gloves for cold weather work are pretty much nonexistent. Cotton welding shirts basically suck for what I do and using a miserable "leather welders jacket" supplied by our manufacturers is out of the question.

I have been searching for awhile now and think I am on to something. I spoke with a lady this morning that does motorcycle clothing. Insulated bibs and jackets and she will custom make them for you using Kevlar thread. The bibs are full length zippers, insulated(removable or permanent). They have a flap that snaps across the zipper. I see that as protection for the zipper from the sparks and spatter. The jacket is also insulated. I'm going to have her do mine without pockets as they are useless when a harness is put over the top. They don't have a hood but if you really wanted one I'd say that she could take care of it if asked. She custom makes them for you going by your measurements and your situation. Mine is climbing and freedom of movement. All hand made in Wisconsin so it is made in the USA!! She also offers leather welding shirts that make me think of your typical Lapco's and such. Told her I would like to get one of those for the summer instead of wasting my money on cotton.

The cost, well, like your "Whites Boots' they do cost but I figure a carhardt or two a year if I can make the leather last 3,4,5 years I will save money in time and offset the cost. They also test them on motorcycle rides in cold weather. She said her husband rode several hundred miles in 30 degree weather and was fine. The insulation is "Thinsulate" of course so it is already better than your typical carhardt stuff. I also discussed leather welding gloves as I have not found anything in a gauntlet style that is worth a hoot in the cold.

If anybody wants the information let me know here in a pm and I can get a website and #.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Interesting Find-Leather Insulated jackets/bibs