Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certifying Welders Question
- - By welder2 (*) Date 01-13-2014 03:41
Hi, I would like to know from others your guidelines for certifying a welder. If you have a company or person come to you just wanting a simple 3G SMAW cert, what is your normal format for completing this? What I have done, and hear from others are to have: a WPS, complete PQR if not a prequalified joint, administer the weld test, inspect before, during, and after, complete visual examination, then guided bend test. Write up a WQR and stamp if pass or fail.

Is this the norm? Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated?

Thanks,
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-13-2014 07:09
"WELDCOME TO THE WORLD'S GREATEST WELDING FORUM of THE AWS Welder2:grin::smile::wink::cool:!!!

It all depends to which code or standard you are referring to... According to the AWS there's much to be clarified when someone talks about certifying their welders and here's what they mean according to this white paper from the AWS:

"Welder Qualification vs. Certification and AWS Certified Welders (CW)

There is much confusion about the difference between qualification and certification and many individuals and institutions think that “certification” of welders is required by welding codes.

Nowhere in any welding code (AWS D1.1, ASME Section IX (and others), API 1104, etc.) is there a requirement for “certification” of welders. All codes require “qualification” of welders by performance and testing of a weldment on a specific material using a specific welding process, test position, etc. following a Weld Procedure Specification (WPS).
The record of the test results, known as the Welder Qualification Test Record (WQTR) is the essential documentation (signed by a qualified or certified inspector) required for a welder to be deemed qualified to weld in production according to a code.

If certification is desired, a wallet card can be issued that attests to qualification of the cardholder in the process, materials, positions, etc. permitted by the code to which they were tested. Thus, the certification of someone is merely the verification, by the issuance of a certificate or card, that the welder is qualified and to what he is qualified. Since most codes also require continuity (welding in the process qualified at least once on the last six months) to maintain qualification, maintaining qualification is dependent on documenting that activity.

Only candidates who go through our Accredited Test Facilities (ATF) get AWS welder certifications. After the candidate takes his/her test at an ATF, the ATF conducts visual inspections and the tests required (typically bend samples or X-ray). The resident or contract CWI inspects the weldment prior to sectioning, inspects all test samples, and then determines if the weldment passes the qualification criteria stipulated in the code. The WPS and WQT Rrecords are then sent to AWS where they are verified and filed, and a wallet card is issued. All AWS certifications are good for six months, at which time a welder is required to renew and prove his continuing welding activity for which he is qualified.

At no time is an independent CWI who is not contracted with an AWS ATF permitted to conduct qualification tests for issuance of an AWS CW (Certified Welder) card and
number. All AWS CW applicants must have undergone qualification test(s)at an AWS ATF by a CWI employed by the ATF or under contract with the ATF.
All legitimate AWS CWs are issued certification cards by AWS directly with an AWS-assigned CW number verifiable at our online Quick Check site at:

http://www.aws.org/certification/cw_search.html

Peter Howe
Managing Director, Certification Technical Operations
American Welding Society"

I used to explain this using similar words to all my students at the beginning of every course I taught involving "Welder Certification" in order for them to know from the get go that whatever it is that you have been told previously regarding the definition of being a certified welder according to the AWS must be forgotten and you must accept this explanation in order to clarify any confusion that may exist amongst you who have a totally different understanding what being an AWS certified welder entails...

Needless to say that most of the time afterwards the administration would come up to me asking me why I would explain this to them and I would answer: "Because they deserve the right to know the facts regarding this topic and it's my duty to inform them of this!" I was never fired because of this but, it sure did cool my relations with the administrations wherever I was teaching at.:yell::twisted::eek::roll::grin::lol::smile::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By welder2 (*) Date 01-13-2014 14:59
Hello Peter,

Thank you for responding. I am a little familiar with the CW program and the ATF. As an independent CWI, I have heard there is much confusion regarding certified vs qualified. Let me rephrase my original post regarding your answer due to now knowing the word certify a little better with your post. If an independent CWI is called to a company, what format is being used to qualify a welder. Are the items I listed correct or are different formats for welder qualification being employed?

When I wrote the post, I debated using the word certify and I'm glad I did now to know so much more from your post.

I'm just wanting to confirm my method when testing welders.

Thanks,
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-14-2014 00:18
welder2, it is sometimes a long and tortuous route welding inspectors follow in their search for knowledge! Your question is an easy one to answer, however you failed to provide several relevant details such as standard etc. I hope you can provide these for a more comprehensive reply.
Parent - - By welder2 (*) Date 01-14-2014 04:05
The qualification will be in conformance with D1.1. I'm basically wanting to confirm how I have been taught and seen from others when testing welders. I am only working with D1.1 right now and working closely with others. I'm just wanting to make sure things are being done properly with my way of testing welders in simple GMAW,GTAW,SMAW 1G through 4G applications (prequalified).

The normal way I go about this is to complete the following steps:

1. Have and confirm WPS from company.
2. Administer and witness the test.
3. Preform visual.
4. Preform bent test.
5. Write WQR and stamp whether pass or fail.

How are others doing this or is this spot on?

Fairly new as you can probably tell and I'm relying on this forum for ideas. Thanks
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-14-2014 04:19
Okay but, can they pass a fillet break test? Sorry Al, but I wanted to provide you a lead in so you could take over when you get a chance so I'll defer the rest to you okay?
Hmmmm I must be feeling better from the meds I'm on because I feel a decent amount better than the days before yesterday...:eek::grin::smile::lol::wink::cool:

Al will set you straight welder2 so don't worry at all, or someone else will chime in to share their thoughts... I'll just say this... For myself, there are many questions that come to mind regarding your sequence of operations in administering qualification testing but I would rather defer to the gentlemen in here that are currently testing because I'm currently retired and there may have been some changes that I'm not aware of that these folks know about so I wouldn't want to steer you in the wrong direction.:grin::smile::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-14-2014 14:41
Henry, sometimes you are just TOO modest and humble.  You know, and have even forgotten, more about this than most of us will ever understand.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-14-2014 18:17
ssbn727 says:

Okay but, can they pass a fillet break test?

To me at least, that's a mucho legit question, there are a ton of D1.1/D1.5 welders that really can't. They pile in a one pass fillet that is easily possible with the consumable used, and it might be a suitable fillet weld for the service (till the "big one" hits). But all that piling up of filler won't pass a fillet break test when you look at the "root" of the problem.
Lincoln literature made this all plain decades ago, but very few follow the recommended Lincoln specs.
In my opinion there are millions of 3/16" plus fillet welds in structural service that absolutely won't pass a simple fillet test. A properly done 3/16"+ fillet is more costly than most contractors want to do, I'd guess it's the same in shops.
Current fillet inspection techniques only make the problem worse, IMO. I'd expect the next major earthquake to maybe tighten those specs up a bit, after the fact.

J
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-15-2014 00:31
That is one of Al's biggest pet peeves for sure.  And well noted by JT also.  Fillet welds are so miss understood, taught, and practiced.  We need voices on the committee who will take the heat and separate groove weld testing and fillet weld testing.  Neither should be a qualifier for the other. 

The only possible exception would be Al's suggestion of the option 2 test, Figure 4.33 (2006 anyway, don't have the 2010 in front of me, still packed from my LA trip).  I actually like it with his procedure being specified.  That is: instead of doing any position filler of the center after the two fillet welds are accomplished the weld would be completed in the same position.  That would give both fillet weld and groove weld qualification in one plate.  Al explains it in much better detail. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 01-14-2014 07:22 Edited 01-14-2014 07:30
welder2

Oooopppps......something is missing in your checklist:eek:
Sorry, you have to repeat the qualification test :roll::sad::cry:.why? you qualified the "Impostor" :mad::grin::lol::yell:

~Joey~
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-14-2014 03:41
Who is Peter? My name is Henry.:grin::smile::cool:
Parent - - By welder2 (*) Date 01-14-2014 03:54
Sorry, I saw Peter Howe in your response and ran with it.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-14-2014 04:05
Okay, now I understand!:lol: Not a problem at all welder2.:wink::cool:
There's nothing to be sorry about in your journey to seek as much knowledge and to ask questions that help you in gaining more experience at any time during your career so don't sweat it at all okay?:grin::smile::cool: Keep em coming!:cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 01-14-2014 02:07
A welder may be qualified by radiography of a test coupon or of an initial production weld or by bend tests of a test coupon. Some codes limit or restrict the use of radiography e.g. radiography is not allowed for GMAW-S by ASME Section IX. You must also need to know whether there are additional test requirements required by project specification or construction code. The responsibility for qualifying welders is restricted to the contractor employing the welder and that it cannot be delegated to another organization. The performance qualification test coupon is to be welded according to the qualified WPS, and the welding is supervised and controlled by the employer of the welder. But I have observed many employers engaging the service of CWI from third party firm to witness the qualification test. This witnessing is normally inclusive in the services rendered when the test specimen preparation and NDE are subcontracted to the Inspection / NDT firm. The WPQ cert is to be endorsed the CWI who witnessed the qualification test. The format of the WPQ is not fixed, you can find example form in AWS D1.1 or ASME IX.

~Joey~
- By welder2 (*) Date 01-15-2014 03:20
Thank you everyone for your responses,

How do the steps/checklist I listed look when qualifying a person? Do you have a certain way or checklist or feel there are other documentation needed when administering weld testing.

Thanks again.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Certifying Welders Question