Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / The "Engineer"
- - By marktski (**) Date 01-14-2014 14:19
D1.1 and 1.6 make many references to the "Engineer". My question concerns D1.6 (4.7.5)
A welder if qualified to D1.1 can be considered qualified to D1.6 materials with the approval
of the "Engineer". In a small shop, 7 welders, can the owner take that designation? What
about a manufacturing weld engineer. I have not seen the "Engineer" defined in the code,
although I may have just not come across it yet. Any suggestions are welcome.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-14-2014 14:37
D1.1-2010, look at Clause 1.3.1.  Engineer is defined.  He is the representative of the owner of the project and is the only one with authority to accept/reject, modify designs and/or intentions of codes, etc.  As this is also in D1.4, I don't have D1.6 with me, I am presuming it is in D1.6 as well.  Even if not, to answer your question, NO, the owner of the shop cannot take that designation.  Neither can the owner of the project.  And, NO, the weld engineer cannot take that designation either. 

All WPS's, welder's certs, and any variations of joint design, and many other items are to be submitted to the Engineer of Record (the customer/project owner's representative and Registered Design Professional) for approval before work begins. 

Your people can submit those changes for approval but they are not the ones responsible, nor qualified, to approve them.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By marktski (**) Date 01-14-2014 14:41
Thank you Brent, very clearly stated.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-14-2014 14:43
No problem, good luck with the job.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / The "Engineer"