Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Tablets and inspection
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 01-14-2014 15:46
Pen and paper in hand is the normal for me in  inspection mode. But on my last gig I saw tablets being used very effectively. The general and his Jr both used them. They had access to all of the drawings and specs. and were able to look up any thing pertinent to the job as they walked the site. I like technology and think it has its usefulness but I am not ready to plunk down a lot of cash until I have bounced this off of you guys first.

I would continue to handwrite my notes because typing on the fly would be sketchy at best. But for the ease of being able to look at any detail, without having to carry a full set of drawings around, would make me more efficient and accurate.

Now comes the biggy, what equipment to buy and what software? Is AutoCAD the way to go? will it fit on a tablet. I think a PDF program would be in order and a word processing program? If you have already made the transition to a tablet may be you would share your experience with me.

Thanks

I'm going to Sacramento CA, in April, for my 9 yr. recert. Maybe I will see some of you there.

Dennis
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-14-2014 18:11 Edited 01-14-2014 21:28
Hello Dennis, a "major" advantage to some of the tablets goes like this: there is a feature that is called "saery"(probably spelled that wrong and now I realized that this is associated with the I-phone), it allows you to "speak" to the unit and it prints it all out for you on your screen. Then you can edit as required to allow for the few slight flaws from voice recognition and put it into a document, send it via email or text message. I could personally see a great benefit to this in the sense of time and the ability to get your thoughts down before you lose them or get side-tracked.

I believe that "Dragon Speak" is the program that is compatible with PC, MAC, the I-pad, and the Samsung S4 tablets and is of the voice recognition type. Regardless of the unit that you are using at the time there are voice recognition systems available for them. My wife is a realtor and she has just about every gidget and gadget known to man in that department. I do know that she is able to pull-up contracts and have them signed onsite and maintain legally binding paperwork in doing so. The contracts are generally of template origin and then they can be typed on and also "signed" with that cool little stylus at the same time that they are displayed on her tablet. I would certainly believe that you could have templates of various AWS/ASME/API or other types of documents and easily type into or sign/print words, signatures, etc. There is another program/application called "Bamboo" I believe that it has over-rite capabilities if you were simply wanting to add written comments to existing documents or possibly mark-up prints or other such tasks. If you have access to any computer gurus in your area you would probably be well served by having a sit-down with one of them and seeing what they could come up with to address your needs.

Off the top of my head and associated with the forum here, Henry comes to mind with his vast knowledge of much of the computer world. Maybe he'll chime in here and have much more information for your consideration. I know there are certainly others too.

These are just a few tidbits for you to consider. I'll go away for now. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 01-17-2014 18:21
Dennis,

I totally agree with you. This is a new age we are approaching.  I have most of my code books on PDF and I can use them on my iPad.  Then what I did was had a girlfriend of mine re-make all the WPS, PQR, and WQTR's for all the codes I use into PDF "write-in" files just like how the AWS website does.  So I can pull up a blank inspection report or a black welder qual and fill it out on the tablet, even sign my name if I wanted to.  Then go to my truck where I keep my mini Laser jet printer that uses wifi and print them right there on the spot.  You have the ability to take signatures from others as well.  You can use the Ipad, especially the newer ones to just take a photo of the prints and you can easily blow them up on the screen.  They also make a mini bar shape scanner that is just a tube you can run papers through and it will load into your ipad or computer.  The only thing I don't like is using the PDF code book. it is not fast enough for me.  An actual book is best I think.

Jordan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-17-2014 23:41
Every time I ask my wife and kids if I should trade in my old phone and get a smart phone and go to a tablet they say "NO!!

Seems they think my 4 lb hammers don't mix well with technology. I only use two, one in each hand, to type.  I'd probably drop (pronounced 'throw') it off the top of some building. 

But, watching my oldest son, who is also an inspector and works with me, use his smart phone and tablet out on shop floors and up on job sites sure makes it look useful, quick, easy, etc. 

Just not for me I guess, at least, that's what my family says.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 01-18-2014 00:48
Hee, hee, some times "old school" is hard to drop :lol:
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-18-2014 01:41
I have the hardest time with my codes on the computer.  I can find things much faster in books that I am familiar with, which only takes one reading.  The same with a set of plans.  They are terrible to view, especially for bidding on the computer, much easier in hard copy 24X36.

All that said, I do have most of my codes on the computer.  I have all my forms on the computer, most of which I did myself (go figure, boy was that a disaster and took all the patience MY WIFE could muster).  I have customers send my plans in electronic format.  I use these for reference when really needed but when I am getting down and dirty and want the hard copies. 

As one of the almost old timers, here is my biggest complaint: you get a new laptop, or just a new program for it.  You ask for some help to find out how to do something and someone reaches over your shoulder and hits a button and boom, there it is.  I say, what did you do.  They say something totally unrecognizable.  I tell them to leave my computer alone and just tell ME what to do so I can see what and how.  They say, fine if you don't want any help we won't help you and leave. 

How am I to learn how to do it when they do it and I didn't even see what they did in order to get there?  And then they say I'm the one that can't learn and is impatient.  So, after 30 years, I stopped trying.  Now, technology has gotten so far ahead of me I can't even begin to catch up. 

Another factor is money.  For many years I couldn't afford any of it.  Not even at the cheapest levels.  It wasn't until we bought the shop in AZ and the kids were older and working with us that we started making enough money to start getting things like up to date computers.  And being the bidder, fitter, welder, installer, bookkeeper (until my wife and daughter started helping), chief cook and bottle washer, I didn't have time to learn new things like that.  So my family took those tasks over and dad still got left behind.

Bottom line, technology is very useful.  Young people need to learn how to use it and keep up with it's changes.  Don't let it conquer you.  Use it as another tool and take the time to be proficient with it while not letting it over power you and waste your time when you should be working with the welder not the computer.  Both can make you money, but there is a balance.  It is often better to have the better welder welding and the better computer operator doing all that work.  But both need to know how to do both in varying degrees.

As a great actor once said, a man has to know his limitations. 

You must know your strengths and weaknesses and do what makes you money to the best of your ability.  Then, use those other things to help you along the way.

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2014 18:23
I've been using computers for my business since 1989.

A computer is a tool and like any tool, it has a limited life expectancy. The difference is, when a wrench wears out, you replace it and there is no learning curve to use it. when you purchase a new computer, you have to upgrade the software which is more expensive than the computer. Then you have to learn how to use the software, which is usually less functional than the old software. 

My last purchase, this past fall, I opted to buy a computer from Dell that was previously leased. It looked as if it was brand new and it ran my existing software. The fact that the "older" computer came with an older version of Windows was the deciding factor, not the cost of the computer. Dell would not sell me a new computer with the older version of Windows installed, so they lost a sale. 

I find that a computer lasts about five years. By then it is cheaper to replace the machine than it is to fix the old one. The software is a different story. The older software serves my needs. It pisses me off to no end when I am forced to upgrade the software only to discover it will not do what the old software did. If it will still do what the old software did, it takes more keystrokes to do. Have you tried to delete a page from an Excel spreadsheet or a slide from a PowerPoint presentation recently? The software people recently hired by Microsoft must have been in the "slow learners" class.

By the way Brent, there have been several studies comparing reading hard copy versus reading from a computer screen. Reading from hard copy has proven to be easier and faster. The reader comprehends better and remembers more when reading from hard copy when compared to someone that read from the computer screen.  

Computers; I would be lost without them, but damn, it wouldn't take much to improve them or the software we use. It ain't rocket science. We just got to get to those weenies out of their office and make them live with us in the real world.

You know my feeling about cell phones. Smartphones, are you kidding me? Give me two tin cans and a length of string. Good enough!

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-18-2014 20:12
"You know my feeling about cell phones. Smartphones, are you kidding me? Give me two tin cans and a length of string. Good enough!"

YEAH! That's how he got ahold of me at FabTech in Las Vegas... :lol: :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-18-2014 21:07
I was a late starter into the computer world, missing W95, 98 etc and really just starting at XP which I still love and still have running on one of my desktops now. I found I have what is, I suppose a natural aptitude for computers and run several set ups using MS and Linux OS.

Never been a great fan of Apple although my wife and son both have iPhones and iPads etc.

Now I find my codes are much more usable in .pdf format, I just type the subject matter into the search box and it will find every reference in the document! If the code references another paragraph or diagram etc. which is almost always the case, it is simple to open another Tab or even two. Gone are the days of balancing two or three pages open at the correct pages!

Using a tablet on the shop floor will soon become the norm, batch numbers and part numbers can easily be checked and instantaneously updated using WiFi and a simple excel spreadsheet to a master weld document. Clients like this uptake of tech and will soon start to insist upon it being available.

If you have ever used pipework modelling software, in the field or even in the office, it is pretty awesome as you can literally fly over pipe racks and raisers to see the required construction details, including pipe details and welder details.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-19-2014 00:54
I do not like the strangle hold Apple puts on their equipment. They apparently have forgotten what that did to them when the PC was first up and coming. From where I sit, it's coming back around to haunt them now.

I use a samsung galaxy note3 phablet for most applications. I am studying and learning how to code for android apps as I see them taking larger and larger shares of the market. At this time, I screen mirror to my flat screen at home;

Type on a virtual laser keyboard;

External storage via 64gig microSD's, Standard SD readers, and a 1 terabyte external hard drive. That external drive works great for movie storage btw. Connected to the video out, it plays on the big screen as well.

Of all of that, the laser virtual keyboard works best.

The way I see it is, we can learn or be left behind. I prefer the former.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-19-2014 07:08 Edited 01-19-2014 07:44
Gerald,

You hit the nail right on it's head when you mentioned that you're learning how to write code for android apps because for myself, it's what helps me get in, and around new software a heck of a lot more easily by knowing how to navigate via DOS, Linux or whatever other open source code that's available... I have taken quite a few courses online via You tube as well as other links to learn basic programming for various computer languages, and some of these courses are run by such universities like MIT, Stanford as well as many others so, they're quality modules for anyone that may be interested... In fact, here's a link to gander at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6U-i4gXkLM

Here are some other you tube online code learning videos:

http://www.codecademy.com/

Here's a link to 25 free online tutorial courses in Android development form beginning to intermediate level:

http://www.freewaregenius.com/twenty-five-free-online-tutorials-for-learning-android-programming/

Want to learn Java?

http://www.youtube.com/user/caveofprogramming

There are a whole lot more but, I'll stop here so that I show you only relevant links instead.:lol:

I tried the Google Glass that also has a virtual keyboard and it's incredible but overall, it still needs a bit of tweaking before the masses will totally embrace a device like that...
They're almost there! What I'm waiting for are the soon to be released flexible roll up OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode) screens that can replace hard copy drawings and then attach it to a holographic projector so that one can take on multiple views, assemblies, how various sections of a structure connect together, and how they interact, etc...

Once the folks @ google fine tune that google glass tool, we don't even have to have a roll up screen because you'l be completely immersed in the plans as you walk right on them or make them to whatever size you want and put yourself to interact with the plans whichever way you want to Brent!:twisted::grin::eek::lol::wink::cool:

Speaking of Android apps... Google stock a few months ago last year were going for approx $800+ a share... Currently the price per share of Google is going for over $1,100 a share!!! They sure are taking a larger and larger share of the market.:yell::eek::eek::eek:

Brent, you're doing just fine with what you need to do, and I agree that you should give the rest of your family more responsibility with running the tech aspects of your business which in turn make it easier for you to concentrate on your work... It's all proportional to what you need technology for as tools to increase efficiency and productivity and tools work real well when properly applied to job at hand but it can also become mayhem and chaos when improperly applied IMHO... So I agree with you and only encourage you to only learn what catches your attention and your support system will take care of the rest...
Embrace technology and it will embrace you!:grin::wink::lol::cool:

I like both hardware and software because I can then customize more to my own needs and it doesn't hurt at all to have more than one USB hub with multiple external hard drives and thumb drives of 32, 64, 128 Gb's, and whatever else size that's available and all sorts of other peripherals... Along with hooking multiple desktops together otherwise known as parallel computing or instead of throwing away an older one, turn it another another DVR if you already have one and put it to use on a different TV!:eek::roll::wink:

I mean if someone was to come visit me today, they would see what looks like a computer repair shop which I do also on the side, and yet I put everything to good use in my place otherwise I just get rid of it if I no longer have any use for it! It's a personal choice of how deep you want to get into technology, and since I used to dive really deep when I was younger man - for me it's become a habit of sorts for me to dive into whatever it is that I desire to learn about!!! Always remain teachable is my motto!!!:wink::cool: I think I'll stop here before I start rambling into obtuse dimensions of reality:eek::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Tablets and inspection