Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Some Friends learning to test pipeline style
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-23-2014 21:07
Don't laugh out loud too hard.  You should see some of the holes I used to be asked to weld in up in OR when doing hot taps. 

I will definitely have to try to find some of my old 135 pics and scan them.  But, don't hold your breath.  :lol:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 02-14-2014 18:55
Stan,

I have been busy and haven't been on here much. Good job with this! What you are doing I believe will be a great gig for you and will help those wanting to break out. Training is a good thing!!! One question though, what is the truck next to the 67-72 Chevy bed? I have a 1938 Chevy truck that my great grandfather bought new. The one in your pic looks like my truck but I can't see the grill on yours.

Keep us posted on your endeavor. I am wishing you great success with this! Personally I hope the younger guys wanting to jump into pipeline work realize they need some time as a helper before breaking out. Lots of knowledge can be gained by learning the job as a helper first.

Keep up the good work!
Wade
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-15-2014 13:51
Wade,

I am not sure on the truck as it's not mine but I believe it's and early 40's model.  As to the helper situation I can attest to that either some sort of helper position or definitely some practice and advice from somebody that's been in the business.  I never went down that road as it never occurred to me to hire in as a helper and I didn't know anyone in the business.  Talk about a learning curve.  But I guess you can say I got broke in fast on my first go with the (worst) contractor I worked for was the kind who encouraged the firing line to drive around each other an go like heck all day and who ever got to far behind was or was last at the end of the day got FIRED! Sometimes we would be stretched out a quarter mile.  I was job scared and learned to get fast real quick.

Thanks for the encouragement I will be posting more up as the new building progresses.  Cold weather is killing my time schedule.  My building should be up by now but due to weather were still messing with trying to finnish concrete.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-26-2014 17:24
Any chance i could see some pictures of a close up of a down hand root, down hand fill and a down hand cap?? i've played with it but not sure if i am running the fill correctly.

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-28-2014 00:04
I am sitting at the house and was gonna burn a little practice pipe this week I will take some pics and send em to ya when I do Chris.   The "root"  or Bead looks funny in between the bevels....kinda like a piece of string sitting in there....the wagon tracks are deep...like its not tied to the sides....inside the pipe it will just look like a smooth weld bead when ya get it right.  I am still working on consistency and finding my heat ranges where it works well for me.
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-28-2014 01:03
Thanks Tommy, I had the chance to watch a 69 year old that I work with and watched him run the filler down hand but I'd still like to see your pictures. Could you please send them to my email address?? My cell phone is to small to really make out the picture.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-28-2014 21:20
Ok for what its worth anyway....um maybe pics of my stuff can show ya what NOT to do really.  :grin:
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 01-28-2014 22:33
That'll work to :lol:
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-19-2014 15:09
I have one question; The joint between the branch to run, is that a fillet weld or complete joint penetration with fillet reinforcement?

The layout and fit up look good. Nice and uniform and tight all around.

I know API 1104 calls the joint a fillet weld, but the sketch indicates the weld is suppose to be CJP. I always questioned the terminology.

Oh yea, the shop looks like a nice set up.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-19-2014 15:34
From the tests I've taken it's always CJP and the inspector ALWAYS looks that inside bead over REAL GOOD........
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-19-2014 19:07
Al like smooth operator stated. It in essence is a fillet weld with CJP. You set a gap between the carrier pipe and the branch connection and put a bead in.  If you look close in those pictures Al where the throat is and it is laid back .  The main purpose of that is to allow you to get your rod in there to get a CJP.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-20-2014 14:51
This is not referenced as a fillet weld when CJP is required. API doesn't call it a fillet weld. The confusion comes from figure 10. API tried to clarify this confusion in section 3.2.2 and refer to this connection as a "branch weld" (which may or may not include a fillet weld). And this is also referenced in Guidelines and Interpretation and Application of API 1104. Section G5.3.2.4 "A branch weld can consist of a groove and/or fillet weld. A branch connection that includes the use of a beveled branch and a full penetration weld is considered a groove weld". Published in the 'official' interpretations, when the procedure qualification includes a reinforcment fillet weld then the PQR (coupon test record) also qualifies the WPS for fillet welds. But, when this is done, fillet weld detail in section 5.3.2.4 shall show shape and size of fillet welds or the procedure is not valid for fillets.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2014 15:17
Thanks for the excellent clarification.

I appreciate the help. Old dogs can learn new tricks!

If a day passes where you don't learn something new, you must be dead.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-20-2014 15:30
Right....we all know you were making a point, not asking a question. Nice try!:grin:
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2014 15:42
No, in all seriousness, you did a great job of explaining the joint details.

Al
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 01-20-2014 16:23
Thank you Al...appreciated.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-19-2014 15:59
Hillbilly;

I see you posted that you are looking for a used bend testing machine. I see from the photographs you have some basic machinery. It looks like you have the necessary tools needed to make a wrap-around bending fixture. They are more versatile because you can fit it with any of several different mandrel diameters  needed to test different thicknesses and material types as required for AWS and ASME testing.

Al
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-19-2014 19:23
If you look close in one or two of those pictures Al I have a bending/tensile pulling machine that probably looks like it came out of the 70's I am guessing that dies may have changed over the years as my ASME dies look to be correct but my 1104 dies look all wrong and don't add up to whats in the book. Besides that both gauges that came with it are broke and I am having a hard time finding any thing to cross reference them to. But I haven't messed with it to much as of yet.  I have never used any that I think your referencing to. I am always open to ideas.  Maybe you could P.M. me a link or a picture of one that you particularly like. If I built one I would have to send it to Oklahoma city and have a third party  lab inspect the dimensions and calibration of my gauges and write me a letter or certificate of conformity. Most gas companies these days seem to be asking for cal papers.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2014 15:32 Edited 01-20-2014 23:54
I failed to see the testing machine, but the blacksmith's vice caught my eye! I almost bought one this past fall, but it had already been sold when I saw it. I did get a really nice 100 pound anvil. It is in mint condition, with a hot chisel for the hardy hole.

The wrap around I designed and built is patterned after a bending machine. I can't think of the name off the top of head, Oh yea, a Hossfeld bender. I can use different diameter mandrels and it is light enough I can check it as checked baggage when traveling. It uses people power to operate it, no jacks, pumps, just a long handle is all it takes. I have even bent samples of HY-80 with it. It took two of use to push/pull the handle, but it did the trick.

As you well know, API 1104 uses the same diameter mandrel for everything. AWS, ASME, and NAVSEA on the other hand required different mandrels for different  thicknesses and different strength or elongation properties. So, several different mandrels must be stocked.

Calibrated? The tolerances for the bend diameters are pretty liberal. I can see calibration for the tensile testing apparatus, but not the bending machine.

Al
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 01-20-2014 23:03
Jeez Al.......Sure get around...How do you find the time for all these "peripheral " activities.......Besides running my business and family time I'm tapped out of time.....
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-21-2014 00:26
Hillbilly,

A few questions
1.  What year and make is the truck close to the door.
2.  What look like a vise that's mounted on a table across from the truck.  What kinda is it?
3.  When do you think you're gonna start doing the classes?
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-21-2014 00:56
Jeremy

1. that is a 48 and not for sale.
   2. That is some old school blacksmith vise. I am not sure.
   3. That depends.  I am writing the curriculum now.  I can take one on one welders now. Your more than welcome to come on up anytime. When I start doing full on classes it will most probably be late spring and last about three days.
Parent - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-21-2014 01:07
Nice yeah I wouldn't even try to make an offer.  Just saw it there but couldn't see any details.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-21-2014 02:15 Edited 01-21-2014 02:20
Al,

Here are some pictures of the old beast I have.  Not that I pull a lot of tinsiles but the one inservice test in API requires one for welder testing and your right  about the Cal for tensile and I have never made a home made bender and not sure what it would entail to be bought off as "fit for use"  

I know I have heard of the Hossfeld bender and will have to check them out again on the net.

These ones like in the picture shown are dual purpose  which I like.  I can only imagine what the cost would be to buy them individually.

Note Anvil with the Hardy hole  left of picture.
Attachment: NCM_0298.JPG (289k)
Attachment: NCM_0299.JPG (452k)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-21-2014 02:43
It may be old, but it looks functional.  The only issue may be the calibration.  I didn't go back and look at the previous posts with you and Al, are you having problems finding a new gauge?  Or an outfit that does the calibrations and certifies them? 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-21-2014 02:46
Okay, gauges.  Have you tried comparing them to anything in Grainger?  You can access them on line if you don't have a current catalog. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 01-21-2014 04:27
Yes sir,  The gauge is made by Airco which is no longer in business. I have looked at grainger and various others.  So far I have gotten ahold of a hand full of different gauge companies to no avail.  Some others that are similar range are in the price tag of 1200.00 to 1600.00 which seems absured to me. Here is a few pictures of the gauge.
Attachment: NCM_0297.JPG (185k)
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-21-2014 05:04
Stan,

Not sure how your API stuff works for doing the tensiles, but if it were similar to D1.1, all you have to do is reduce the size of the area between the grip ends and you could use a gauge with a lower maximum rating.  That would also increase the accuracy as it would have more markings between each 5000 lb. unit. 

I'm sure you know how to calculate tensile once you have the measurements of the reduced section of the sample and the lbs it took to separate it so I won't be tedious with all of that info. 

I'm pretty sure a good part of the problem is the top end pressure coupled with the increments.  The more increments, the more accurate, especially for smaller more precise measurements.  Just like on a micrometer or any other measuring devise. 

Something with a lower top end should be cheaper even if it would be more accurate.

I'm sure Al or one of the others will correct me if I'm not looking at this right.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Josephp (**) Date 03-30-2014 17:51 Edited 03-30-2014 22:09
A gauge Manufacturing Company made the gauge, I do not think Airco made the gauge.

You can have the gauge repaired and calibrated.

Do a search or try
http://www.gageitinc.com/service-pressure.php

You wrote and posted on 01-21-2014 at 04:27

"Yes sir,  The gauge is made by Airco which is no longer in business. I have looked at grainger and various others.  So far I have gotten ahold of a hand full of different gauge companies to no avail.  Some others that are similar range are in the price tag of 1200.00 to 1600.00 which seems absured to me. Here is a few pictures of the gauge.
Attachment: NCM_0297.JPG (185k)"
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 04-01-2014 01:30
Thanks for the Tip off there Joseph I have yet to find anything for that and will be calling them tomorrow to see if they can fix my gauges.  If you ever end up in Oklahoma give me a yell lunch is on me. You just probably saved me a lot of $$$$.   I am curious if  you are familiar with these with this style of benders/ pullers? If so I would like to pick your brain abit.

Thanks for the tip
Parent - By Josephp (**) Date 04-12-2014 22:22
These type tools are still made, research Sawyer Manufacturing Company.

Review;

http://sawyermfg.com/index.php/weld-testing

Joseph
- - By Stoneage Date 03-29-2014 04:58
Stan, how much are you charging for your 3 day class. What city are you located in, and are there nearby accomodations.
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 03-30-2014 14:45
P.M. Sent,    It probably wont be till summer till I can fit any more in. My first two classes are already filled up.  My testing facility is located just outside of Ponca City OK.  There is plenty of places to stay around here,  I will be putting together sometime a list of accomodations together here soon.  In the mean time get online and take a look.
Parent - By atc250r (**) Date 03-31-2014 00:19 Edited 03-31-2014 12:41
- - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 04-01-2014 02:13
So here is an update on how the new facility is coming as of 3-13-14 for all the good folks that have been calling me up to get a spot in the pipeline course.  I have been getting calls as far away as Washington and Pennsylvania for when I am going to open and I although I was hoping to be open by now I am not.  My summary includes breaking ground last November.  Firing three different contractors and ultimately ended up erecting the building my self along with a few friends.  The skin goes on next week and then I hope to have electric done soon after.  Then I can start taking some guys even though my test booths won't probably completely finished yet.  Hopefully 4-1-14 I will be ready to start taking some guys.  Enjoy the pics
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 04-01-2014 10:06
Very nice work.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-06-2014 03:02
ehhh I am dissapointed, I wanted to see you up there doing those perlins at least.....still stuck in that point and yell mode!  Jeez.

BTW I should go ahead and announce something way more Important.   MR Hillbilly Delux became the proud Daddy of a future Pipeliner a couple of days ago!!!!!    LETS SEE SOME PICS of your new son bro!
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 04-07-2014 19:15
Congrats on the new addition!...and the building too.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 04-13-2014 00:09
Congrats Stan on your new arrival! Enjoy every second spent with your family.

Good to see the progress on your new facility. I hope I get to swing by this summer and check it out!
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 04-14-2014 02:33
Thanks Wade..  Every hard dollar earned will never amount to quality time spent with the family.  I will make you a killer steak on the new smoker/ griller I am building.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 04-14-2014 04:04
Congratulations hillbilly!
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-15-2014 01:43
congrats Stan
from our family to your family, best wishes
my little woman hopes your little woman and baby are doing GREAT
and so do I
sincerely,
Kent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Some Friends learning to test pipeline style
1 2 Previous Next