Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Veteran seeking schooling with use of VA chapter 31
- - By Patrick0317 Date 01-20-2014 02:41
Hello all,

Im new to the forums and have been searching them trying to find any information about veterans using VA voc rehab or chapter 31 to attend a welding school. So far I haven't been too lucky so I figured I'd just post my questions and see what happens. I apologize in advance if Im breaking any posting rules. I'll start by giving some insight to my situation and what I think I know.

ok, so Im a Marine Corps infantry vet and got out in 2011 due to service connected disabilities. Im rated from the VA at 80% but have just gone through the chapter 31/voc rehab entitlement process. I've met with a voc rehab counselor once and during the meeting I informed the counselor that I would like to go to welding school. I live in Crestview Florida and have found a technical school in Pensacola that offers a welding program who works with vets and VA on a regular basis. My problem is I have to convince my voc rehab counselor that welding, as a career choice, will not aggravate any of my service connected disabilities. (im rated 10% for my back, 10% for my left shoulder and 10% for my knees with the other 50% due to PTSD) I am trying to gather as much first hand information from anyone who might have some insight with related experience. Any and all help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 01-20-2014 07:07
First, thanks for stepping up and making personal sacrifices very few are willing to endure for their country.

As far as your physical disabilities go, welding is generally a physical career field.  If your back knees, and shoulder are already broke down, welding may be a poor choice for you.  There may be a few jobs that you could do, but your opportunities will be limited... perhaps aerospace bench work or something similar.  I would investigate the jobs for which you are physically suitable before making any decisions and see if the opportunities and pay / benefits will be satisfactory to you.

As far as schooling goes, I recommend you thoroughly investigate the schools you are considering.  They vary greatly in content, rigor, and industry reputation.

Good luck whatever you choose!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-20-2014 15:49
I know welders that have physical limitations and they suffer through the pain. No choice for them, they chose their career path long before the injuries happened.

Welding can be tough on the body. Even if you are working on the bench, your back and neck, arms and shoulders are always in a strain. It can be physically taxing, never mind lifting and maneuvering heavy fixtures.

I hate to discourage anyone from considering welding as a career, but one must recognize the physical nature of the work.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By davetofaute (*) Date 02-08-2014 16:31
Welding School in Louisville, KY
www.knightschoolofwelding.com
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Veteran seeking schooling with use of VA chapter 31