Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Renewal Question
- - By unclematt (***) Date 01-22-2014 02:17
Hello;
I have what may be a dumb question but will ask none the less. Over the last two years I have had five surgeries that have kept me from working. With all these done, the outlook for the future is looking better. I will, however, be coming up for renewal of my CWI at the end of the year. I am thinking that with this gap, I won't have the required time in inspection to qualify for renewal. Have any of you been in this situation and what were you options; if not too personal? I have considered letting it lapse but then again I dread having to go through the testing again. The company I work for has filled my position so when I go back, I won't be doing inspections. If nothing else, I guess I could take Part B again but that was the one that gave me trouble to begin with. I have thought about going back to welding but don't know how my repaired shoulders are going to hold up. I had both repaired in a span of two months; the last on 12/31/13. The way they are feeling now, I think a desk job is in the future but still fairly early. Anyways, any input would be appreciated.

Have a good evening;
Matt
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-22-2014 03:59
Matt,

Good luck with the recovery, you are in our prayers for good healing. 

Now, if this means a GREATER THAN two year lapse in any three year cycle, then you would not be qualified. 

BUT, read through QC1 and the AWS webpage on renewals.  It says, inspections or related activities according to QC1.  Welding and looking over your own work.  Studies that would have qualified you for the CWI in the first place, and other activities qualify you for renewal.  Not just employment as an inspector. 

Check it out and, good luck.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 01-22-2014 12:48
Good Morning;
  That's what I was thinking. I went out for my first spinal surgery in July of 2012 so if I can make it back before July of this year I should qualify for renewal. If my newly repaired wings get better, I am hoping to get back under the hood. I am chomping at the bit to get back to work but I have to go by the doc's timetable. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-22-2014 16:47
Part B gave you the hebbie jebbies, so go for an endorsement instead.

Good luck with the physical therapy.

Best regards -Al
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 01-22-2014 23:01
Hello Al;
That would be another route I could go. Thanks for the suggestion.

Have a good one;
Matt
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Renewal Question