Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Blueprint reading for welders
- - By marktski (**) Date 01-22-2014 19:33
Does anyone have any information on free written information for blueprint reading help. We have a couple guys who are great welders,
but they lack the tech skills to advance. Yes, I could point them to the Tech school here locally. I would like to give them some literature
to get them interested, and help them. I suspect they may try Tech school afterwards. Any feedback is always appreciated!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-22-2014 19:57
A google search will give you quite a bit.  AWS.org has some online BPR and weld symbol training.

Buy why point your men......  They are "your" men.

Invest in them and get them the training they need.

You got them cheap because they had very little training, and it sounds like you want to stay cheap by making them figure out how to get better on their own.

You get what you pay for.

Invest in your men.
Parent - - By marktski (**) Date 01-22-2014 22:00
I'm only the shop CWI, not the owner. I'm only trying to help them as much as I can.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-22-2014 22:04
And your efforts are appreciated here, and I'm sure there as well. 

Lawrence is correct with avenues available.  AWS Online classes are great.  They can learn at their own pace.  Symbols is a good place to begin. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By marktski (**) Date 01-22-2014 22:08
I was able to loan him a book on symbols, prints are where he falls short.
Thanks for the advice, I'll check out AWS.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-23-2014 12:28
Well sir, you are a nice guy for trying to help a fellow you work with !

The James F. Lincoln foundation is the cheapest place to get new books.

They have a book called "How to Read Shop Drawings"  its a great start and only 10 Bucks !

http://www.jflfoundation.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=H

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-23-2014 12:36
Another resource would be a copy of AWS A2.4 and use a chalk board or something to draw out all sorts of welding symbols and have them describe to you what work needs to be done and in what order the work is to be completed in, according to the symbol. I love to try to dream up complicated looking symbols and see if I can stump my guys when I was the QC manager at a local structural fab shop. At that shop we never had any shortage of shop drawings to train from.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 09-25-2014 14:22
Yes, If we the company invest and train/educate them and they leave! or ~ If we the company do not invest and do not train/educate them and they stay?
Parent - By Plasma56 (**) Date 09-25-2014 01:58
I hope to attach a pdf which may be of assistance to your efforts.
As this group of outstanding gentleman have advised,the efforts to a search on this site in simplicity, offers a treasure of learning.

People do things for a varity of reasons. I have mine.
But the greater the effort the greater the reward. If this saves you a bit of energy, good. Put it towards helping those guys.  I would suggest, there is a teacher in all. Pen and paper works as well.
Attachment: Weldingsymbolsondrawings.docx - Converted to word (0B)
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-23-2014 16:34 Edited 01-23-2014 16:41
I suggest looking for a used text book in a used book store. They often carry outdates textbooks that can be purchase for little cost.

We have a used book store in town that buys books from estates, libraries, etc. I've purchased books on boilers going back to the 1800's (my hobby), all sorts of interesting reading materials from all technologies. I don't believe any of them set me back more than five to ten dollars.

My wife hates it when I go "shopping." I can get lost in the book store for hours. She doesn't know what to do with the books I already have.

A book on technical drawings should be pretty easy to find. Since the assortment changes, a couple of trips spaced a few months apart should do the trick.

AISC printed a series of technical books on steel detailing and structural design that are excellent if you are a structural fabricator. They are pricy, but well worth the investment.

If you are the "go to" person in QC, you should think about adding them to your personal library. They are available through the AISC. They can serve as the basis of the training you give to your fellow workers (hint, hint). Depending on the size of the fabricator you work for, a copy might be available in the company library or from one of the people in the front office. One never knows what resources are available unless the question is asked.

Al
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-23-2014 18:33
Your own DOE provide some very educational documents all available for free. I'm sure Henry or someone else must have linked to this wealth of knowledge before but here is a link to the first of two DOE Fundamental Engineering Symbology, Print and Drawing Manual:

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2013/06/f2/h1016v1.pdf

One can spend hours looking for information on this site!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-23-2014 23:56 Edited 01-24-2014 03:14
Excellent resources except that you forgot to include the url for the DOE FUNDAMENTALS HANDBOOK ENGINEERING SYMBOLOGY, PRINTS, AND DRAWINGS Volume 2 of 2 (DOE-HDBK-1016/2-93) That's okay because I just happen to have volume 2 of 2:

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2013/06/f2/h1016v2.pdf

And as a bonus, I will also include this: DOE FUNDAMENTALS HANDBOOK MATERIAL SCIENCE Volume 1 of 2 And Volume 2 of 2, and the 2nd volume above covers the type of drawings for your application (Structural & Fabrication):

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2013/06/f2/h1017v1.pdf

http://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2013/06/f2/h1017v2.pdf

So, enjoy the handbooks!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-24-2014 13:27
Hi Henry, I didn't forget, I just chose to people who so wished find it for themselves.:evil:
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-25-2014 02:14
Henry is just nicer than you Glyn, he does all the leg work for us.  :lol:  :wink:

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 01-25-2014 02:54
Yeah seems so!  I like to make people work for their upkeep, but Henry's contributions are legendary and I guess we all benefit from them eventually.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Blueprint reading for welders