Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Winter Storm!!!!!
- - By unclematt (***) Date 01-24-2014 04:54
Hello;
Well, here in East Texas, we have just been hit with what the weatherman calls an Arctic Vortex. And now they have taken to name every thing that moves; whether north or south. Here about an hour and a half north of Houston, we have gone through our first freezing rain band. They say we may get an inch or two of snow by dawn. That will be a novelty. Hope it will be enough to kill off the durn skeeters. While not a fan of the knee deep stuff, it will be cool to see a little white stuff laying around in the morning. It is only supposed to last through the morning and then probably back to the mid 60's. You've heard what they say about Texas weather; If you don't like it, wait five minutes; it'll change. I hope wherever you all are at tonight, you are safe and warm. I will say a prayer for those that are less fortunate and have to endure this mess out of doors and those that have to travel. Y'all have a good night.

Matt
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-24-2014 05:33
Snow in Houston :roll:  Well, it couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of folks.  Really, they deserve to see it once in a while. 

It is great to see global warming is at work in Houston too.  Oh, excuse me, climate change.  Yep, it changes everyday around here.  And it goes in cycles just as it has for a few thousand years. 

You have a good one Matt and enjoy your brief moment in the snow.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-24-2014 12:31
Just drove to work in Houston (about 5;30)

A little freezing rain... Prolly some ice on the bridges... I took surface streets :)

Schools are closed today... Non essential workers told to stay home till afternoon.....General panic on the radio..

Back home in Wisconsin -2 just another day and everybody is going to work  .... Heh
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-24-2014 23:17
well Milk and Bread panic runs in the deep south are kinda common when the local weather guy says anything regarding snow/sleet/ice....and in general (general I said) for the most part in the deep south they are horrible drivers on the white stuff.  However in defense; instead of 12" of snow on occasion we do get 1-3 inches of serious ice....hence the panic I guess....usually means no electricity for 1-5 days and you are not going anywhere unless you hold interest in putting a few lbs sheet metal screws in those new Yokohamas you just put on your 4x4.  Had a pretty bad one back in North Arkansas back in the late 90's....shut the whole dang town I was living in for 5 days, shut the interstate down for 3.  Much rather have snow.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-29-2014 14:43
60's, something I dream about and have not seen in months out here. High yesterday while we were out got to around 8, at 4pm as we were driving south. Spent the three hours we worked in minus 1 with a wind chill of I don't even want to think. Woke up this morning and it is minus 2. It's sad when you go outside to work and it is 15-20 degrees outside and you're excited to have it so warm!! Hope ya'll made it thru the big storm and cold snap!! This week should be in the 30's....sometime, think we are going to break out the shorts and t-shirts!!!
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 01-30-2014 00:37
Man, that is cold. Coldest I've been in is 5 degrees in Utah. I wasn't there very long. We had another round of the frozen stuff this week. Had Highway 59 shut down in places due to the overpass' icing up. It will be in the 70's at the end of the week with storms. I do feel for you fellas having to endure that cold mess. Get warm when you can.

Have a good one;
Matt
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 01-30-2014 08:50
I've seen it so cold, dogs were frozen to fence posts and car tires on 3 legs...
- - By Dualie (***) Date 01-28-2014 07:23
Before every big storm theres a run on bread, eggs and milk.     I'm starting to think French toast is the official food of weather related shut ins.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-28-2014 21:20
I was in Huston/Deer Park area last July...not fun!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Winter Storm!!!!!