Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / what software do u simulate welding construction and welding
- - By edisonwang (*) Date 01-24-2014 15:12
now there are many sofeware of finite element modelling.for example ansys \sysweld .which do u use.i dont use sysweld ,because the date of it so few,i cant operate it ,but when i use ansys ,i find i cant set the welding parameter and the material of weld bead different base material.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 01-27-2014 13:51
Hi Edisonwang,
I use Weld_IT for quick and dirty calcs.  On complex geometries, I'll get the FEA guys to use (UG)NX-FEA.  Ansys was removed a few years ago from their workstations.  You should be able to model the weld and assign it it's own allowable stress.

You mentioned "set the welding parameter".  Are you talking about specifying the heat input? Are you interested in predicting distortion?

Tyrone
Parent - - By edisonwang (*) Date 02-03-2014 15:30
yes i want to know what will occur when the weld joint formed by weld metal and base material in different matching and differnt heat input  suffered force . of course it will involve stress and distortion.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 02-04-2014 12:01
The Edison Welding Institute (EWI) developed their own software.

http://ewi.org/ewi-weldpredictor-innovation-in-modeling-simulation/

"...With each calculation, you get a virtual prediction of the resulting microstructure, thermal profiles, residual stress, and distortion for plate and pipe welding – all without performing extensive designs of experiment.
The latest version of EWI WeldPredictor allows for more weld joint configurations, dissimilar materials combinations, user-defined weld bead shape, and the abilities to apply thermal-mechanical conditions and predict specific time-temperature history."

I've seen a demonstration of it during the development phase in its infancy.  It looked like it had huge potential at the time.

Tyrone
Parent - By edisonwang (*) Date 02-04-2014 15:30 Edited 02-04-2014 15:40
thanks ,but if the simulate software is more popular,it depends on two things ,first  is huge training material of it ,second is easy to use.
hope the EWI solve them
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / what software do u simulate welding construction and welding