Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking for Small Welding Shop Software Ideas
- - By welder03 (*) Date 01-31-2014 15:16
I have been running my own part-time welding shop for a few years now and so far I have been doing everything on paper.  With more work coming in, and eventually planning on going full time, I can already see that I need to get some software found, that will help with billing, metal inventory, basis cost, profit tracking etc.   Are there any software programs that are welding shop specific, or any programs that work well with a welding business? It has been mentioned to me to try QuickBooks. Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 01-31-2014 18:06
We tried Peachtree many years ago but were not satisfied. 

We have been using Quickbooks for many years and it works very well.

Of any programs I have seen that were geared more specifically for welding shops they were: 1) Very expensive, 2) Geared more toward large (over 100 employees) shops, 3) Rather cumbersome and time consuming (do you want to spend more time in the office or working?) for small shops, too many things to enter in all the time.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welder03 (*) Date 01-31-2014 20:10
Brent,

Thanks for the info.  I always enjoy reading your posts, they are always full of wisdom.
Have a great day.

Regards,

Mike
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2014 00:13
You're welcome.  Hope it is helpful.  Hopefully others will make some suggestions as well.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-01-2014 00:21
Brent, does Quickbooks have an Inventory tool? What were your issues with peachtree if I may ask? I was tending toward peachtree myself till I read your post.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-01-2014 03:30
Well, to give you specifics I would need to talk to my wife and she what she remembers as she dealt with it.  I remember on several occasions that she would show me items and I couldn't believe how difficult it was to get what we needed.  We used it because that was what our accountant used, liked, and wanted us to use so we could send him our books and he could keep our tax info filed with minimum effort.  I finally said, 'SO WHAT'.  It isn't worth it.  Get a real program. 

I'll see what I can come up with over the weekend to answer your question.

I believe Quickbooks does have an inventory tool.  Again, I will check.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 02-01-2014 12:12
I've used Quick Books for several years. I used Peach tree to start with but it was too complicated. Quick books in my opinion is more user freindly. You can start with Simple Start which is very basic and build up from there. Quick Books Pro has inventory tracking.
Parent - - By jd369 (**) Date 02-03-2014 16:50
I have been lookign for something similar for my shop (small welding shop). The best one for my application that I have reviewed so far is E2 from Shoptech. It's affordable and will work with Quickbooks for the accounting. They have an end of year sale, so if you like it hold off until the end of December to purchase it.
Regards
Jim
Parent - By Darrell_B (*) Date 02-03-2014 22:23
I have been using E2 for about 10 years. It works fine, but I have also heard good things about Job-Boss.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Looking for Small Welding Shop Software Ideas