Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Know anything about E&O insurance?
- - By Lewis87 (*) Date 02-04-2014 21:08
I've been a CWI for a while now and have worked full time at a company for 7+ years now.  I've been thinking about doing some certifying/training on the side for some extra income.  Is it a good idea/necessary to have E&O (Errors and Omissions) insurance? Who do you go through and what are the rates for it?  Is there anything to look out for when shopping for it?

Any advice/opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-05-2014 02:30
Andy,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

That could be a rather loaded question. 

Technically, yes, you should have E&O Insurance.  But, define "some".  For just a couple certifications per month I wouldn't worry too much about it.

But, are you going to do other inspections?  That is where you will really open yourself up to needing the protection.  Though you do have a certain level of responsibility that should not be taken lightly even in just doing 'some' certifications.

The rates I got ranged from just over $5000/yr to over $11,000/yr.  And, I have heard of guys who say they only pay about $1200-1500/yr. 

Most agencies that will carry business insurance can also link you up with E&O. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Lewis87 (*) Date 02-05-2014 06:43
starting out, I would say just a few.  Thanks for the input.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Know anything about E&O insurance?