Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Vision loss/strain W/speedglass 9000x
- - By StainlessSavage Date 02-05-2014 00:20
Ive owned a speedglass 9000x for the past 13 years or so & never noticed any problems with it until today. I took of the clear protective lenses today to replace them which I rarely do, maybe once a year. S.S TIG welding is all I do so it rarely needs replacing. When I took them off I noticed a ton of dark "dead spots" in the lens, almost all of them on the left hand side of it, probably 30 of them. I would describe them as dead pixels in a computer monitor. My 2 questions are......have any of you seen this before and what is this? Is deteriation of the actual filter?

The main reason I'm concerned is that over the past year I've had fairly rapid vision loss in only my left eye and frequent headasches & muscle spasms in my left eye. After seeing my lense today it dawned on me that this could be the cause of my vision issues. Do any of you know what I'm talking about with this lense and is it the filter going bad that could be causing my issues? I'm done using this helmet and in the process of shopping for a new one.

I have no clue how long I've been welding with it in this condition, I can't believe I didn't notice all of these spots in the lense before today. Its my own fault
Thanks for any info you can provide.

Jon
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-05-2014 13:33
I bet a worn out lens could trigger headaches for sure.

Whether the lens "changes" or not, you still have full UV protection... Thats the good news.

I doubt brightness alone in a few spots would cause vision loss.... Nonetheless, It might be smart to take your hood and visit an optomitrist... Let him see what is happening and why.    As any vision loss over a short time needs to be addressed by a Doc.
Parent - By Paladin (***) Date 02-05-2014 13:53
The eyes are nothing to ignore. An Ophthalmologists might even be a better idea.

Like it or not, our eyes age and change as we do. They need a regular check up too.

Floyd
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 02-05-2014 14:29 Edited 02-05-2014 14:32
Since there are no pixels in a welding lens, what you are seeing is likely damaged crystals, which could be due to damage from impact, heat, or other causes. A new lens is the only remedy, and of course, seeing an opthalmologist.
Parent - - By Metarinka (****) Date 02-05-2014 17:45
grab a new hood.  AD hoods are a single liquid crystal screen, hence they don't have pixels.  You can damage the matrix though mostly from extreme heat, cold or impacts.

13 years seems like a good amount of life out of a helmet, grab a new one you got your money's worth.
Parent - - By StainlessSavage Date 02-06-2014 01:13
Thanks for the info guys, I ordered a new 9100xx today. I realize they don't have "pixels", it was just the best way I knew to describe the issue. Thanks again
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-06-2014 03:48 Edited 02-07-2014 01:40
I converted myself to auto lenses quite a while back and boy they are not all created equal.  Because of certain types of work I have had to do I take the vision stuff very seriously, but hey if you weld for a living your vision is your life....you can weld in a wheelchair but there are no blind welders.  I have had very few issues with standard glass filters but with auto lenses I have had many failures over multiple brands/models.  Optrel builds top notch stuff and you will be hard pressed to find anything more reliable or better in quality.  Having said that the longest I have had any auto lens last is 3 years and that was a $400 lens.  They do not like cold, they do not like impacts.  Larry is spot on in saying they do protect you from UV even shut off, BUT if they are not working right they can absolutely strain your eyes to a bad point.   Like others said, got to the eye doc and let em have a look.  Your eyes are more important then any other equipment you have, take care of em.

Just for info these lenses work by "crystals" flipping orientation (90-180 degrees?) with input of voltage through the liquid media.  Variable shade filters use a selection of doped crystals that flip at various voltages/current levels to achieve the lighter or darker shade.  THANKS NASA.    So the actual bad light filter is already there whether it is turned on or not, we cannot even see UV anyway....I could stand in a room with 10000 watts of no light other then uv and I would think I was in a dark room.   All any SHADE of welding filter is really doing is just making it comfortable for your particular level of acceptable visible light to look at with out any strain or discomfort.  Yes I just had to put that wives tale bs welder talk crap to rest....all the filters protect you from radiation damage...the rest is just muscle strain damage and perhaps some temporary stress on the rods and cones at the back of your eyeball.  For giggles I submit the following by others if your so inclined.

Auto-darkening filters utilize a shutter type of LCD to decrease light penetration when energized. All electronic welding filters exhibit a characteristic known as “angle dependency”. This characteristic may make the lens appear to be darker in the center and lighter toward the outer edges or when the lens is viewed at an angle not perpendicular to the filter’s surface or not perpendicular to the arc.

Angle Dependency
If you look at a passive filter at an angle, it becomes darker as you are looking through a thicker cross section. An auto-darkening filter is a completely different animal. It appears to be lighter if you look through it at an angle. The technical term that describes this observation is angle dependency. We like to describe this observation as the venetian blind effect. When you close a venetian blind it reduces the light coming through the window, but if you look through the blinds at an angle parallel to the blinds it appears lighter. This same thing occurs in an auto-darkening filter, as they are similar in function. The liquid crystal in the LCD has elongated molecules that lay parallel to each other (see Figure 1). As they rotate to a closed position, when energized, the amount of light that passes through the filter is reduced (see figure 2). When you look through the filter at 90 degrees to the filter surface, you will experience the darkest shade. If viewed at an angle less than 90 degrees the shading appears lighter. You are experiencing the venetian blind effect otherwise known as angle dependency.  

The better filters, I.E. higher quality ones, reduce this "angle dependency" effect in mho.  The best ones shade very evenly which means they are a much higher density, if you will pixel count, then the bargain filters.  I quickly return or toss one that filters even slightly unevenly because I know in the end I will have headaches and throbbing eyeballs.  They are improving and I think optrel is leading the way in this.  I just purchased a single shade arc one for my stick hood and so far it is much better then my last two miller lenses.  Hell I still got a couple of AO cool blues in the toolbox.....
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-07-2014 20:20
Cool info Tommy. Retired my miller due to the quarter moon ring in the right corner. Think I need to strip it down and have it painted up in Montreal Canadiens colors and logo!! That's about all it's good for now!!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-08-2014 03:31
Thanks for sharing Tommy I'm about to send back my jackson EQC lens I hate it, I should have tried the arc one lens in a shade 10 but had heard the battery operated ones were better then the solar but this person maybe wrong I heard it from. I need to have a decent auto dark in the weird out of position welds I make. I would prefer the glass permanent lens but need to be able to swap a auto dark when needed but finding one worth a darn has been an on going battle.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-09-2014 20:15
Since my old high dollar Jackson Boss died (it was really heavy anyway)  I have wanted one of these for my tig hood but have not tried one yet....fits in any hood that will accept a glass lens (very thin and light). 
  X540V
http://www.arc1weldsafe.com/auto-darkening-filters.html       I got one of the arc one singles in my flip up, so far so good but I have not had it very long.  I guess I would pony up myself for some Optrel stuff but ya got to use their hoods and gear.  That means odd cover lenses, headgear and you cannot just get it at any LWS.  I don't really like their hoods for field work.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 02-09-2014 23:06
Tommy, Seems Optel has been around FOREVER but they seem to march only to their drummer.......Everything technology wise I believe they are on the cutting edge!!!!!!!! But if your parts aren't interchangable with other makers (lense covers, inter & outer and shell parts) I think as a company your on the losing end of the market share game......... Had one guy who worked for me that bought their shield and was PISSED about the cost of clear lense cover plates when he went for replacements!!!!!!!! I myself found an older model Miller w/auto change that I like for outside and inside work......Really light weight, no problems w/ head gear, been dropped a few times (minor , not like Shaun) and works in the cold....( -10 the other day)...... Also use Arc One in my pancake w/ no complaints other then they only go down to #9 and I would like to try an #8 !!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-09-2014 23:18
Looks good Tommy!

Now, please don't take this the werong way but, I just peaked around the Arc one link and found this you tube video on on of their inverter power sources...

The gentleman who is demonstrating the products form Titan is hilarious in the way he attempts to show folks how their stuff works and - well, let's just say that it was revealing about the demonstrator in so many ways and, I'll leave it at that...::yell::yell::yell:eek::roll::roll::roll::lol::lol::lol:
Here's what I'm talking about:                 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkMHi_n3DD4

Enjoy the comedy!:twisted::twisted::twisted::eek::roll::grin::lol::lol::lol:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-10-2014 20:51 Edited 02-11-2014 02:49
NOOOOOOO Hank!! 

That video is a gold mine, a revelation and revolution I say!   Gosh does AWS/ASME/API etc. know about these "RELIANT" electrodes?!?:!   My gosh that one rod has completely replaced so many processes...XX10 and Lohy rods are now obsolete.   I love how they have eliminated all those pesky rod designations and all that bs about fillers and alloys..FINALLY.  AND they have solved the energy crisis as well....he said " the machine draws no current as long as your not welding"   .....that means that fan and PS run on MAGIC....all we got to do is put 20 billion of those fans to work driving some generators!:grin::grin::grin::grin:

OH yea....I am trading my rig in on a Toyota Camry (doubles as an xray truck), throw one of those machines in the trunk with a really long extension cord and get RICH!
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 02-10-2014 22:17
Box of reliant and a box of avalanche and good to go......Can weld most metals!!!!!!!! Wasted alot of money on cc/cv and AC/DC machines..... Wire feeders, Hi-freq box, air supplies for air/arc & plasma...... One of them little boxes and "welding rods for the non-welder" and your good to go........No wonder their advertising for "welders" on Roadtechs for $ 10.00 hr. in Panama City , FL. .....Guys like that "huckster" make it sound EASY!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 02-10-2014 01:36
I'm using the fibre metal pipeliner shield and I really like it the most out of many shields i have tried. I can get into tight places and the biggest plus is it is so dang LIGHT I prefer the rubber strap over the ratchet because it has a more custom fit on my big head. I prefer a permanent lens but I need a auto dark in some of the screwed up positions i am in sometimes. I remember trying a arc one shade 10 once and it wasn't to bad it was better then this EQC I have now. i might get a rain out Tuesday and on the way home will stop at the welding store and maybe pick one up which I should have done to begin with. A friend of mine today I tried his miller solar and well it wasn't to good the lens worked great in the center of the lens but off to the sides of the lens it didn't go dark so wasn't crazy about that. The arc one is probably a better quality lens.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 02-17-2014 04:20
Geez tommy....write a book!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-10-2014 13:13
Just a logical observation. If the UV is fully protected all of the time then it seems unlikely that your headaches and partial blindness would be caused by unnoticed white light. Seems to me if white light was finding its way through due to damage you would see it.
Parent - - By StainlessSavage Date 02-16-2014 18:24
Thanks for all the info guys.I've been welding 2 weeks now with my new 9100xx & couldn't be happier. Muscle spasms in my eye stopped after 3 days, havnt had a headache or eye pressure. I've even noticed minor vision improvement. Nothing crazy but my current glasses subscription matches my eye again.
I'm not sure what was going on with that old lens but it defenitly had an effect on my eye.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-20-2014 02:12
ELECTRONIC lenses degrade over time...static glass lenses over a much much longer time frame.  Your lens was depleted/wore out....you replaced it all is well.  This is an important post because it exposes the reality of auto lenses.
Parent - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 02-20-2014 02:58
Very informative thread.....best info. I've received on a subject in a long time!!!!!!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Vision loss/strain W/speedglass 9000x