Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / help with ERNiCrMo-14 gmaw wire
- - By marchahn Date 02-12-2014 00:14
im having problems finding welding parameters on this wire ERNiCrMo-14 .035? we are making a wps for it with very limited info! ran it today on a miller 350 xmt with a miller suitcase and 75 argon 25 helium.  im thinking i need to be running a pulse machine and a tri mix for shielding gas. anyone have any info on this?????
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-12-2014 01:24
Marchahn,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Are you sure it is a '-14'?  I find up to -10.  Manufacturer suggested specs say: 26-29 v; 140-190 amps; and 75/25 Ar/He. 

To get further we would need to know manufacturer, metals being joined, and what it was doing that you think requires some changes.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By marchahn Date 02-12-2014 02:08
filler metal manufacturer is special metals corp. and yes it is -14.  we are welding on patch plates on an absorber at a power plant. patch plate i believe is c22 and absorber is 2205. my qc manager hasnt told me much about it the absorber. im on a diffrent shift just trying to help him out. we were just practicing to do a pqr to get a wps on carbon steel.  having problems with the wire being gobular and very ropey beeds til we got up to 39 v; 430 amp with about a 1" stickout.
thanks just discovered this form after being a aws member for a few yrs now.
marc
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-12-2014 02:29
Thanks for the link.  Interesting. 

Hopefully others with working knowledge of those will chime in later, like in the morning more than likely.  I'm out west and working a swing shift job so am up later than many.  Though it isn't all that late yet. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 02-12-2014 03:03
dilbert fits this
http://www.dilbert.com/2014-02-11/
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 02-12-2014 10:44 Edited 02-12-2014 10:47
For .035 filler, those parameters are way too high IMHO... I mean - the suggested current to weld with this filler metal is far lower that 430 amps...:eek::eek::surprised:
This .pdf is what I'm referring to:

http://pccenergygroup.com/assets/smw_docs/joining.pdf

Here's a 686 application article in .pdf:

http://pccenergygroup.com/assets/smw_docs/686WasteToEngergy.pdf

Here's another one:

http://pccenergygroup.com/assets/smw_docs/Overmatching686.pdf

And here are some more articles:

http://www.specialmetals.com/documents/Inconel%20alloy%20686,%20a%20new%20alloy.pdf

http://www.specialmetals.com/documents/Inconel%20alloy%20686.pdf

I strongly suggest that you should reconsider those parameters you posted previously, and refer to the first .pdf titled "Joining" from PCC Energy Group/Special Metals...:roll::lol:
And work with those until you find the sweet spot that will work for you because the samples welded together with your welding parameters have way too much heat input to be sound, and are probably brittle or are way too hardened for the application... Oh and FWIW, PCCEnergy Group now owns Special Metals Corporation yet I think their headquarters is still located in West Virginia.:smile::grin::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 02-12-2014 19:17
on a
Miller 350 xmt?
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Only goes to 38 v and 425 amps
max on the machine
what are you really doing?
Kent
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-12-2014 13:12
Not sure why you are running 14 instead of 10. The chemistries are very close. 10 does not have Al nor Co. It has plenty of Mo and is stabilized with W as well. Its pitting resistance certainly exceeds 2205 or the C22(NiCrMo-4). And its cheaper.
You do not need pulsing. That wont help. And you do not need one of those fancy azz tri mixes. The problem is the viscosity of the chemistry itself. It is not going to look like what you are used to with other alloys. I would follow the manufacturers recommendation as close as possible. Don't try and force wetting with pumping up the parameters. It won't work.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 02-12-2014 03:45
Did you have a chance to read this guide?

http://www.specialmetalswelding.com/publica/welding1.pdf

Best regards - Al
- - By cddolan74 (**) Date 02-12-2014 15:51
Marchahn,
if the suggested parameters dont work, you may be having feeding issues with the wire. I looked over the parameters henry posted for you and they should be very close to running that alloy and size wire.
Chris
Parent - - By marchahn Date 02-12-2014 17:40
thank you guys for the help!  the parameters were go high cause we were just trying to get it to run on some scrap steel.  im goinh to try these out tonight after we get our pulse machine
thanks again everyone
marc
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-12-2014 18:36 Edited 02-12-2014 18:39
Lincoln has some nifty custom pulse programs for exotics on the PowerWave platform.  They have more than they advertize and a squeaky wheel can get it for the asking usually.

If you are expecting a typical stainless GMAW pulsation program out of the box to do the trick you may be dissapointed.

Edit:
Thermal conductivity of the electrode wire has a lot to do with how GMAWP programs are constructed...  The problems you have now are related to exactly that or you would be running 98/2 like easier nickel alloys eh ?
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 02-12-2014 19:26
what are you really doing?
I know what your doing
and what you want to know:twisted::evil::eek:
try somewhere else
call fluor or bechtel
they will call someone and fix this problem
unless you can not? and are hiding it from the world:eek:  oooooopppppssssss
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-12-2014 20:24
Kent,

First a comment, you are right about the parameters of the machine, but it is possible that the digital readout shows a slightly higher value than it's rated output.  But I agree, something sounds totally off with those numbers and that electrode.

Now, a question.  Not that I care about what they are doing so that's not where I'm coming from.  Is it possible, if you are even close to correct about what the OP is trying to obtain, that they need some pre-heat prior to welding with this electrode?

I know when we used to do a lot of hardfacing on log stacker components so they would last longer they were real ropey and looked terrible if you just set the machine to what was specified and did not pre-heat the parts first.  But, it actually deposited the hardfacing with more reinforcement height which was a good thing for where it was used. 

It seems when cladding in whatever form, many try to achieve a perfect looking weld when that is not necessarily the best results. 

Just curious as to your thoughts about their application compared to the process parameters and end weld profiles.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-12-2014 20:37 Edited 02-12-2014 20:40
Wow!

Conspiracy theories are usually in the "Bar and Grill"

I wish I knew what Kent was talking about.  Most of my welding stories at the dinner table are pretty boring.

I was just thinking that the 430 amp number was a mistake, meaning 430 IPM wire feed speed....  Which might be typical for Spray GMAW of 0.035 electrode wire and Stainless/Nickle alloys.

Not much experience with this alloy and GMAW...  But mixes with zero active gas can tend to transfer in a funky fashion.

I hear Jason Bourne posts on the welding forum under a nom de plume.   Careful what you say.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 02-13-2014 10:54
to Brent yes pre and post heat
to Larry
it is a nuclear reactor with bad piping
not made to spec
someone is hiding something
I want to know who
sincerely
Kent
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 02-13-2014 11:42
:eek: (speechless - if true)
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 02-14-2014 02:05
Tyrone
it is true
watch and see the OP never says a thing after this
btw marc prove me wrong
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-13-2014 12:57
Pulsing wont help it look better. That's not what its for.
Parent - By cddolan74 (**) Date 02-13-2014 14:05
yes , was wondering why we were talking of pulse?
I have welded with Ni alloys close to these chemistries, using 1% CO2 for stabilizing the arc. I did not have the ropy profile the OP is describing. "BUT" sometimes a particular heat welds different from others ( residuals , deoxidizers) definetly contribute to the wetting of Ni alloys.
on another note this looks to be a good thread with Conspiracy, alloy and application.
- By kcd616 (***) Date 02-18-2014 20:49
to Mr. jon wright
I know spammers are the bane of your life on this forum.
but to me this is the worst
these ones sign up ask complex questions, that always are about nuclear stuff.
then the nice people here give answers and they run off.
for at least 3 years been watching this
and it is my curse I did that stuff and know right off what they want
I love to share, but it has to be out in the open
please watch for my comments about what people want to know
thank you for your time and consideration
sincerely,
Kent
btw Brent same wps you said
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / help with ERNiCrMo-14 gmaw wire