Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / the question of weld joint matching
- - By edisonwang (*) Date 02-13-2014 15:34
there are there situation of the weld joint matching ,they are undermatching 、 equalmatching and overmatching.i see they defined by yield strength of base material and weld consumables.because standards code require the lowest yield strength of base materials,and the lowest tensile strength of weld
consumables .but actually the base materials and consumables are higher strength than code requires.
now does the weld joint matching depond on code requires the lowest strength (theoretical strength)or actual strength
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-13-2014 17:35
Generally speaking, limiting the discussion to ferrous metals, codes expect the welded joint to be at least as strong as the adjoining base metal. When the strength of the weld and the base metal are similar, i.e., within 10ksi, it is said to be "matching." When the filler metal is not as strong as the base metal, it is said to be undermatching. Again, 10 ksi is the figure often used to determine whether the filler metal is matching or undermatching.

Undermatching the filler metal tensile strength to the ultimate tensile strength of the base metal is preferable when improved ductility is desirable. This is often the case when the welds are loaded in compression. It is common for the weld metal to "gain" strength when subjected to loads that exceed the yield strength of the weld through a strain hardening mechanism. 10ksi can be the expected gain in the weld deposit properties. As such, undermatched filler metal often gains enough strength to match the properties of the base metal.

Overmatching the filler metal simply means the filler metal is stronger than the adjoining base metal. The concern is that the weld, in an over load condition, will force the failure into the adjacent base metal. As a preventive measure, the structural code limits the calculated stress on the adjacent base metal to 0.4 times the yield strength of the base metal.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By edisonwang (*) Date 02-14-2014 13:13
thanks for your answer.i have other questions according to your reply,first where does this passage "within 10ksi, it is said to be "matching" come from? second i want to distinguish the matching which according to theoretical least value or actual value from test? third can you tell the books or learning materials about the matching between weld consumables and base materials?
Parent - By edisonwang (*) Date 02-14-2014 13:47
according to the classification of base materials and weld consumables .and dont pre-test the materials?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / the question of weld joint matching