Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cracking in 6061-T6 after Heat Treat
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 02-13-2014 22:10
A customer of ours has very massive weldments covered in stitch welds, they passed florescent PT and were sent to heat treat, they came back with 28+ cracks, mostly at the stops.  What could be the problem if they were fine when they left and 6061 is heat treatable.  Prevention? ideas?

Thanks all

Jordan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-14-2014 12:52 Edited 02-14-2014 12:54
Need the data man!

Throw us a bone.  :)

Yes, 6061 is heat treatable.

Tell us about process maybe ?

Tell us about filler maybe ?

Tell us about pre-heat maybe?

Tell us about weld termination profiles maybe?

Groove?

Fillet?

Multi-pass?

Single Pass?

Tell us about weld termination technique ?  As an example, crater fill programming for GMAW etc.

Is the work restrained during post weld heat treatment?

You know the drill man.
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 02-14-2014 17:47
I do know the drill, shame on me! haha.

GTAW AC 120 Hertz Argon helium blend
6061 base material, 3-6 stitching
1/4 to 3/8 fillet welds all around
they are using a 4643 filler metal
NO PREHEAT
single pass

waiting on the info for the heat treatment.

this is all they have given me,  they were originally getting crater cracks at the starts and stops.

Jordan
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-15-2014 19:52 Edited 02-15-2014 20:02
The typical post weld heat treatment to restore the properties of 6061 aluminum alloy is to heat it hot enough to force the alloying constituents into solution and then quench the weldment in glycol. Then it is aged to trigger precipitation that causes the alloys to come out of solution and "clump" together within the atomic lattice. The clumping action strains the atomic lattice thereby strengthening the overall structure.

Welding causes the alloying constituents to precipitate to the grain boundaries (over age), which weakens the structure.

6061 is a heat treatable alloy and the 4643 is suppose to be heat treatable alloy, but did you qualify the WPS using the 4643 filler metal to verify it will produce acceptable results with the specific PWHT?

You should also check the cross section of the weld craters. If the weld craters are not filled, i.e., there are concave craters, cracking can be expected.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 02-17-2014 23:38
Al-

The company is having so many issues now, that they are sending us a test plate with every test imaginable on it. Ill let you know the results.

Jordan
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 02-19-2014 21:14
In my experience cracking in the stops result from improper termination; not filling or (with thicker sections) back-stepping.  Cracks in the starts could result from inadequate cleaning, lower heat input, and the fact that the base metal is not being warmed by continual welding, as you are placing intermittent welds, and probably staggering them at that.  Aluminum dissipates heat pretty rapidly, and when the "almost a metal" (love that) is cold, starts tend to be cold, resulting in all sorts of discontinuities; especially where the joint was not cleaned adequately.

Not only that, but what about the cross sectional thickness of the joint, and was soak time sufficient to get the entire joint and HAZ into solution?  Did the PWHT process use a stress relief cycle prior to the artificial age?  The shape of the weldment could be playing a role, also, as heat inputs can cause stresses to work on differing thicknesses and geometric attributes.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cracking in 6061-T6 after Heat Treat