Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Solar Flux TypeB Welding Stainless instead of backpurging
- - By mtlmster (**) Date 02-26-2014 13:24 Edited 03-01-2014 11:59
For most job shop and maintenance welders who do a variety of welding on different types of materials on a daily basis and do not necessarily work on stainless steel all the time, I can tell you one thing from my experience that a one pound can will last for a very long time.  That is why I am offering you an opportunity to purchase on eBay this same great product in 2oz., 4oz., 6oz., and 8oz. packs and this will provide the opportunity for you to purchase only what you need and use the savings on other necessary welding paraphernalia.

We’re all looking for ways to save money in our welding businesses, and one of the best ways is to cut costs of consumables!  I have been in the welding business for 42 years and have welded many different types of metals and I discovered Solar Flux Type B back in 1983 and as a result began to take on stainless steel welding jobs that I otherwise could not have successfully repaired.  The Solar Flux more than pays for itself on each and every job that normally requires back purging, and protection for the backside of your weld.

Good Welding

Steve
Parent - - By Francisford (**) Date 02-26-2014 18:59
Hey Steve nice to see you posting again.
I don't think we ever got to meet for that cup of coffee at Big Chief.
How are things in your world?
Parent - By mtlmster (**) Date 02-27-2014 11:54
Things are going pretty good.  How about yourself?  Had a motorcycle crash Nov 2012 and been taking a while to get back in the game.  Let me know when and I'll meet you at the Big Chef or any other coffee shop.  I'll even buy.

Steve
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-26-2014 22:55
I consider this post as spam.

The link you have posted is for a can of solar flux and the price is much higher than available from distributors at least in the UK.

I believe it's cheaper in the US. Solar flux is not permitted on 99.9% of jobs without a WPQ supporting it. So it's not a simple case of using it instead of purging, in fact IMHO, it takes a greater welder skill to deposit a acceptable root using this Paste! I know this because I have been welding with solar flux for at least 30 years on S/S and Inconel material's even high chrome.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-27-2014 11:57
46, I had let this one go...the OP doesn't seem to spread tons of spam on a regular basis, so I was cutting some slack this time. He has over a hundred other threads and conversations with very little advertising in them. Thanks for helping me keep an eye on the spam though, it is very appreciated when I'm out in the field now more than I have in the past, at times it's tough keeping up with reading all of it. :cool:
Parent - - By mtlmster (**) Date 02-27-2014 12:19
Hey 46:  You must really be smart!  Where did you get the 99.9%.  I'd like to look it up.  The idea is to try and help welders, not tear them down anytime you see something you don't like.

I've got many post on the board, even before you got here and If you will look them up you will see that I'm trying to help with good suggestions.  It's not spam.  It's an opportunity to purchase Solar Flux at an affordable price and different amounts.  According to the manufacturer; 2oz. is good for 70 linear feet, so why waste your money on a 1lb. can when you can get what you need and use the savings for other welding stuff.

There are many, many welding projects around that do not allow back purging or it just may be too expensive.

Cool your heals a little, huh!

Steve
Parent - - By Francisford (**) Date 02-27-2014 17:09
Hey Steve, sorry to hear about your crash. How is your bike? I have a lightly crashed Fatboy and a couple of 1200 Sportsters in my shop right now
I am supposed to be down there on saturday for kinda a family lunch (Pittman) and may or may not have some free time.
Shoot me a text or a call at 405-274-6680.
Thanks,
Steven
Parent - By mtlmster (**) Date 02-28-2014 18:43
Steven:  Total Loss!  We were in Talahina headed for the Talamena Drive when a big German Shepard ran into the front tire and took us both down hard.  Almost killed us both.  They med-flighted us to St Anthony in Tulsa.  I didn't wake for two days.  Had several broken bones and my brain was bleeding.  Sherri was a little better than me but also serious.

This happened on November 1st, 2012.  I'm just know getting back on the new bike.  It's going to take some time to get used to riding much.

We are going to a funeral in OKC tomorrow so I'll be out of pocket, but I will put your number in my phone and try a little harder to stay in touch.  Here's my number so you know who's texting you; 580.695.6611.  Sorry we can't get together tomorrow but I'll take a rain check.

Later:
Steve K.
Parent - By 522029 (***) Date 02-28-2014 12:16
Well said.

Griff
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-01-2014 02:10
I'm sorry but a link to ebay is basically spam from my point of view! There are many people on here fighting to keep this site ad free and here we go with a direct link to a private ebay business account! I'm sorry but that's a no-no in my book!
Parent - - By mtlmster (**) Date 03-01-2014 11:57
In order to avoid conflict or contention I will remove the link to eBay.  I prefer to stay in good graces with all the good folks on this forum.  Thanks for pointing out the discrepancy.

Steve
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-01-2014 21:30
Thanks! You have proven to be an honorable person. Wish there were more on this internet thingy.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 03-01-2014 21:56
Steve,

It wasn't as big of a deal with me, but, if I had to lean one direction, I really appreciate you removing the link.

Giving a product a plug is something we all do, especially when someone asks an opinion on various products.  But providing an unsolicited link for a product wasn't my favorite method.

BTW, thanks for the plug, it allowed me to see about something I had not previously heard of. 

One more thing, praying for complete recovery for you and your wife.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By mtlmster (**) Date 03-02-2014 15:06
Thanks 46, and Brent:  I agree that unsolicited plugs do not need to be in here.  I don't know what I was thinking.  All I had to do was find a stainless steel topic on the board and give my two cents worth.

Also thanks for the prayers, I need em.  The worst part about the crash besides the 12 broken bones I got, is the concussion and sometimes my brain just doesn't seem to work to good.  It's the cognitive part that I have to work on.  Anyway I'm going to check out the "shop talk" part of the forum because that is my favorite part.

Later
Steve
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / Solar Flux TypeB Welding Stainless instead of backpurging