Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advertisers
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 03-07-2014 14:29
OK, I'll post call-in info. What day is good for everyone? Or evening?

Ross
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-07-2014 15:29 Edited 03-07-2014 15:40
anytime
ok the 17th is out blood work
other than that I will make my stuff fit
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-08-2014 08:28
Count me in Ross... PM me to let me know the date and time okay? Discussing this is a good start and hopefully we can come up with something good out of it.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-07-2014 15:44
that code nonsense was such a waste of bandwidth.........roflmao
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-07-2014 17:08
Henry,
my friend,
the Miller forum, or Hobart forum, or Lincoln ask the experts?
I am going to be mean and honest here
nothing but a bunch of hack rod burners
this forum had or has the best of the best
the most knowledge of any welding site on the internet
just imho
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-07-2014 17:24
Kent,
I agree....this forum was a blessing when I was a new CWI.

I could not have kept my head above water as a new CWI, if it wasn't for this forum and several of the members here who helped guide me along when I was thrown in over my head years ago. I was to train under a fellow SCWI for a few years before taking on the responsibility of a QC manager at a structural fab shop, but the Lord had other ideas for him and took him on home early. I was left with no one to bounce questions off of until I found this forum and the willingness of the membership here. Chet Guildford and many others here sure did help me get my feet grounded in the AWS codes and helped encourage me when quality and attitudes weren't top priority at times. My stubbornness along with Chet's advice kept me working and chipping away at the problem until the old ship was finally starting to turn and head in the right direction.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-08-2014 08:32
Why do you think I have been hanging around here for so long now? Been there done that and then some Kent so, you're not telling me anything new friend... Enough said.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 03-24-2014 18:49
I think that it would be a great idea to have advertisers in their own section.  In fact they can make it like Reddit (if you dont know what that is, its a very large information website)  They do this thing called an AMA (Ask me anything) and they have important or high society people on there and they answer the publics questions. They get people from celebrities to doctors, to steven hawking, to whoever.  Would be quite awesome to see that here with say, Miller, Lincoln, ESAB, maybe important people who do major jobs all over.  just my 2 cents

Jordan
- - By Superflux (****) Date 03-06-2014 17:04
I noticed the ESAB banner the other day, kept quiet and tried my best to ignore it. It does not make buy their products any more than I am going to on an as needed basis. It is not offensive... YET.
But this is how it begins. Soon another entity will appear, and they will be in competition with ESABs mundane little banner. Eventually, there will be flashing ads all over the page taking up massive space and suck the life from my meager bandwidth.
How about this?
Create a new forum where advertisers can have at it and AWS's Sales and Marketing people can do what they love.
I have been on this site for well over a decade and as long as I can discuss, give and receive technical advice and direction, I'm sure I'll stay. I hope all my old friends in here hang in there as well. It's gonna be a lonely tree house if everyone sacks up their marbles and goes plays somewheres else.

In closing, I want to reiterate the fact that this site has evolved, and new sections have been added so that the forum topics and discussions could stay somewhat stratified.
Create a new section where you can be bombarded with all the glitz and glamour of Madison Ave. A place where I can shop for all my welding related supplies. When I want to replace my worn out pipe stretcher or looking for a new can of Arc Start to keep the "Stick Rods" from sticking, I'll know right where to go.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-07-2014 08:06
A BIG FAT DITTO John!!!

Thanks for posting this friend.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-07-2014 10:22
I agree, if we loose the great influencers like Henry. Al, Brent-and others, my visits will become rare. Years ago I stated that this forum was like family (the comment even made it to a WJ article)- I would hate to see this change.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-08-2014 08:41
Don't forget Allen and the comments he made regarding this forum that were published in one of the journals many moons ago also... He and a few of us that are still here did set the tone for this forum back then and we still do today... Wow!!! Has it been that long since I joined this forum? What a remarkable journey indeed!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-08-2014 13:29
"Wow!!! Has it been that long since I joined this forum? What a remarkable journey indeed!"
Amen Henry, a little piece of the virtual world that we have all learned and shared so much in.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-07-2014 19:13
for crying out loud Henry
I want free pizza:evil:
roflmao
sincerely,
Kent
btw free beer is better:wink:
- By ross (***) Date 03-07-2014 17:58
All,

I am setting up a conference call about this for next week and we can discuss this on the phone. Anybody have time and day preferences?

Thanks,

Ross
- - By ross (***) Date 03-07-2014 18:00
I am merging this topic with the one in the other section about the same issue, so everyone is included.

Ross
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 03-07-2014 18:58
Ross,

Anytime is fine for me.
I'm stateside on R&R so no conflicts as I see. Not working, I'm usually up by the "Crack of Noon", so anytime after that is fine with me.
Look forward to it.
Let the games begin!
- - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-07-2014 22:03
I am also opposed to advertising, as an outsider who has learned much here.
FWIW, my question to those who are threatening to leave, is, where do you intend to go to find a resource with the advantages we have here?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-08-2014 02:59
As for anyone complaining about the advertising here and are wanting to leave,
............ for goodness sake don't go over to Linkedin if you are opposed to "in your face advertising".
I have never seen anything like that before, every link that you click on generates a page of ads to close before you can load the link you clicked on. Good grief that is frustrating!

Ross, PLEASE never let the ads get to that level of being in your face around here.
- - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-07-2014 23:11
Well it seems that Al, Brent and a couple of other regular and mainstream posters have decided enough is enough! It is a sad day when revenue considerations are ruining a great knowledge base like we had here! I often complained about lack of relevant subjects and was told it was a cycle and all was well, maybe it was, but the management managed to screw it up in one click of a mouse!
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-08-2014 04:26
agreed
sincerely,
Kent
- - By ross (***) Date 03-10-2014 20:44
I have private messaged everyone who posted on this topic about a teleconference on Wednesday at 3 EDT.

We'd like to discuss this "in person."

If anyone else wants to participate, just message me.

Thanks,

Ross
AWS Marketing
rhancock@aws.org

AGENDA
A.  History of Forum
1.    Great industry resource for peer support
2.    Mentoring of aspiring welders and other professionals
3.    Sounding board for people's opinions
4.    A popular feature of the AWS website
B.  Advertising on Forum
1.    Ads first introduced on forum in 2010
2.    2010 forum survey showed acceptance of ads
3.    Ads have come and gone since 2010
4.    We are under contract with an advertiser now (again)
C.  Opinions of Forum Users
1.    Open discussion and brainstorming
D.  Next Steps Following Teleconference
1.    Discuss user input with AWS staff
2.    Report to forum users about our teleconference and outcomes
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-11-2014 12:03
Ross,
Let me ask point blank.
What is the purpose of the teleconference?
I've read the agenda. Its vague.
Is the possibility of discontinuing the ads a real possibility or is it simply a opportunity to try and sell it to us?
I understand the necessity of fulfilling a contract.
But then what?
It seems to me that if you were of a mind to discontinue the ads you would have already indicated such.
There has been no such expression of flexibility.
Personally I think the purpose is to sway.
You have a majority of contributors in opposition and you are going to try and influence their reconsideration, i.e., salvage the situation.
What you, as the AWS rep needs for this teleconference to mean something is skin in the game.
So, to put in bluntly if a majority still oppose after the teleconference will the ads discontinue?
If not, what's the point?
Parent - By ross (***) Date 03-11-2014 12:22
I think we can make some progress if we can all talk privately and not have to be concerned that we are on a public forum.

Ross
- - By Paladin (***) Date 03-16-2014 14:25
What Happened? By the complete silence I take it no one is happy.

Well, maybe one.

Floyd
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-16-2014 16:25
We did have the phone conference and much was discussed, ideas, thoughts and what would be considered acceptable IF they were to advertise on here, guidelines if you will. Sit tight as the last word was they were going to look into what everybody talked about. I cannot say anymore than that but seems some are wondering what happened since the phone call.

Shawn
- - By Bob G Date 03-16-2014 14:52
Why does this suddenly feel like Putin and the Ukraine.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-21-2014 21:00
Well I have given it a lot of thought, guess I am gunna hang out on Eng-Tips for a while, they do 'write' (not talk on a forum apparently) a bit technical like but I have had a while to adjust and it's got plenty of educated people who I can learn from on a multitude of subjects! Bit like having your very own Henry!
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-22-2014 00:37
Take a look at AWS' homepage.

Does anyone want this site to even resemble that circus?

Al
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-22-2014 00:58
Al,
we want your knowledge
your one of the best
stay with us
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-22-2014 02:56
Kent, people on here made this site what it was, Other people decided to cash in on what it was, now those people have made a decision and have refained from input=site dead, simples!

I hope they make plenty of money from there ESAB logo, it's cost them a lot!
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 03-22-2014 20:44
I never bought any ESAB stuff anyway.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-14-2014 12:49
Like the welding journal.

I don't mind the occasional ad but if I were gonna take a stand against the corporate money leanings of the aws I would look at their $ taken in by certification and education. What exactly makes them THE organization for these issues. .

Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Advertisers
1 2 Previous Next