Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / What would are my chances of becoming an enlisted welder?
- - By btmcgrath Date 03-05-2014 22:33
My name is Brian McGrath. I am 27 y.o., a student welder at Pasadena City College, a licensed SSW in the manual process through the AWS and Los Angeles City, and currently contemplating enlisting in the Navy after obtaining my A/S degree in Electronics Technology. My question is this: What are my chances of becoming a welder in the U.S. Navy? I aim at becoming the best welder possible and I feel that the Navy might give me the best chance at obtaining my goal.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-06-2014 16:21
Chances are good.
The "Welder" rate in the navy is called "Hull Technician".
Just be careful with the Recruiter, make sure you have the HT rate and "A" school guaranteed immediately following boot camp, before you sign the dotted line.

Tim
Parent - - By Len Andersen (***) Date 03-07-2014 19:03 Edited 11-21-2015 17:09
Brian and All Welding Yong People,
     I got my Associates degree and was drafted into the US Army. My guess is chances are good to get welding training. Give it thought in that it seems you more interest than welding. No recruiter in my entry into service.I hope this is helpful.
  Sincerely
         Len Andersen     len@lenandersen.com
           914-536-7101
         www.lenandersen.com
Parent - By Francisford (**) Date 03-14-2014 15:30 Edited 03-14-2014 15:32
If you do the Navy thing you can always become a Seabee. We are always looking for welders and the work is different then the HT work.
It is more of the construction type. It is a SW or steel worker and there is a "A" school in Ventura county.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-14-2014 21:46
You will 1st have to take an ASVAB. Your test scores will give youb your options. Hull Maintenance Technicians and Steelworkers weld more than most other rates. Or that's how it was many years ago.

There are also Navy Aviation Structural Mechanics that weld.

Before you talk to a recruiter understand that they ago have a little car salesman in them.

If you have a degree in electronics then there are also other jobs that may be of interest. Even though welding is THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD! :)
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-27-2014 21:08
As said make sure you get the stuff in writing. When I joined, not the Navy :razz: They gave me three choices of jobs I was fit for according to my ASVAB. I went with a mechanic and got it. A recruiter has a little bit of car salesman in them? I'd venture a guess that they could sell ice to an Eskimo at an over inflated price with free ice at the Eskimo's feet. All branches have welders but I'd say the Navy with the Seabees and the ships would have a bit more cool factor than the guy I worked with in the Marines that just repaired broken stuff our aimers tore up.
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 03-27-2014 22:02
When I went to sign up I wanted some thing in civil engineering, bridges ,road building, equipment operator. But my new buddy the recruiter said I could get all that and more as a combat Eng. Its not quite the same, we destroyed roads, blew up bridges and made the operators basket cases. But it was all in good fun and I learned to never sign anything without reading it first.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / What would are my chances of becoming an enlisted welder?