Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is it time for change?
- - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 03-10-2014 14:33
I am not sure where I should put this so move it where you see fit.

Shawn stated something in the advertiser post that rang true for at least me and maybe I am sure some others here.  I have been here at this site solely for almost ten years under this handle or one other.  It seems back in the day this place was really hoppin with new and interesting people to talk to that all had a common ground.  An interest in welding.  Is it just me and Shawn or has the place really lost it's member count.  I feel like I can count the regular members here that post regularly to a sum number of about twenty these days which some are very good friends of mine.  Almost like a bunch of old folks that gather regularly for coffee at the local diner and the group is slowly dwindeling.   I see new threads that sit atop of the page that haven't moved for days and that used to not be the case and this new advertisement deal might be the one that kicks the bucket.  I used to sit on this forum for hours everyday and now it's usually a check up for a minute or two every few days.  The hard truth is I just recently started looking for a new place to hang out and found one.  (A lot of previous AWS forum members there) I would like to see them back here.  This ain't the cool hangout spot it once was.  Maybe it's time for a complete revamp? 

I by all means don't have an answer to the problem but I see the trend.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 03-12-2014 03:12
Do I smell coffee?? Who brought the donuts? :lol:

Yeah, I used to be here every night, now....hmmm, I was here, ahhh, I don't remember. I know when my threads stay at the top for a week or better with no movement or replies I start to wonder.

I don't know what it is but I remember when I first came here back around 2008 and this place was jumpin'! I don't know if it's the ad's or what. I have usernames at some other welding sites but never really felt like it did over here, plus, again, I can't remember my usernames! :lol::lol:

I guess I like it here because I know the people, Superflux answers my question and I can pretty much take it to the bank, same with Al, Henry, and so many others(obvious-I can't remember all).
I recognize their username, know their real name and respect their opinions and time to educate me.

Your right though Stan, just seems to be lacking the last few months. Maybe it's not advertising we need but more advertising of this site, what it has to offer, promoting it in some way. I don't know if or how that is done, maybe the old wise owls are moving on as there are no young owls to pass their knowledge onto, or perhaps they have found new outlets.

Ok, I'm just rambling now, time to go...no, not drinking, saving myself for March 17th lads!!

Shawn
Parent - - By weaver (***) Date 03-12-2014 09:30
YUP :)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-12-2014 11:48
All participation websites go through phases.
Parent - - By TRC (***) Date 03-12-2014 23:16
I hear the younger folks talk about facebook a lot. I don't do it but I think a lot of forum stuff is there now.

By the way. I have a SAE 300 HE for sale. Asking $50,000 but will take $ 35,000. SA200 Kiss My AAAA. Miller- you got to be kidding.   LMAO- Ted
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 03-14-2014 19:15
Yeah I'm on facebook stuff but not participating much on the AWS page or others.  It's just a page they use to cater to younger ones in USA and many other countries now seems too.  Those post pics of welds for everyone to vote on or news on ways to get certified or schools.  There are all kinds of ad selling and welder help pages on facebook but none are even close to having REAL professionals in the welding industry like on here.  If you want REAL help & advice this is still the place to go.  On facebook the posts on a page start slow with members then when it grows more the page goes to crap or if administrators allow members to start posting stuff for everything and selling on same page it turns to a big mess.  There are not sections for each thing like on here it's still not really like a forum.  Nothing is organized in archives to be found with a search like on here making that the worst part about facebook pages. 

What you need here is just a upgrade maybe to make pics easier to post but I'm not sure what else.  Too many young ones today are half retards and won't listen anyway or want it handed to them for free right now darn it and expect on short sentence to give them years of experience they are never going to get by real learning & education.  Education of the younger generation has failed in some vocational industries mostly because of the dwindling pay scale.  That is no fault of a educator or school but failed business structure nation & world wide.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Is it time for change?