Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Unassigned Material Procedure Qalification
- - By fbrieden (***) Date 03-11-2014 23:10
Astute Professionals:

Shall the PQR/WPS material be in the same condition as the fabricated/in-service component?

Thank you for your time and efforts with this matter.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-12-2014 12:05
That is an engineering decision. But think about what this means. A PQR for SA-36 will not allow welding on SA-516 plate or SA-333 pipe (and many others). Or the other way around as well. Are you now going to be willing to order your SA-36 normalized?
What about forged materials? Wrought materials? Castings? Are you going to generate a PQR for each product form so that you can match the 'condition'?
What exactly is it you mean by 'condition'?
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 03-19-2014 16:04
He means supply condition of the material that is heat treatment condition.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-19-2014 18:27
nantong,
That's the way I understood it.
If it is post fabrication welded then section IX dictates.
If it is material as received prior to fabrication and welding then it becomes cost prohibitive and an engineering decision.
I mean, if you qualify a WPS with hot rolled SA-36 and you insist on like heat treat conditions then you can't weld on carbon steel materials such as SA-516 or SA-333 Gr 6 which often, or normally, come in other heat treat conditions such as normalized.
The Codes purposely stay away from this type of requirement for non CVN regimes.
I'm not saying this is not a good idea but one needs to understand what is going to be the result before making such a decision.
Plus, there is a logic to it. If you weld hot rolled SA-36 what essentially do you end up with in the HAZ. Unless you really run it hot it will be a normalized, or quenched, microstructure, of little concern since SA-36 is not air hardening. If you weld SA-516 what do you end up with in the HAZ? Pretty much the same. Since all heat treat conditions will meet or exceed the SMTS, and the PQR will judge the HAZ,  it makes little difference. However, for CVN's the rules change, as do most of the Codes.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-20-2014 00:39
post fabrication? that is after the fact? section IX? are you sure? Sounds like gobbledygook to me! But I'm British!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-20-2014 04:10 Edited 03-20-2014 04:13
No Chit Cherlock!:yell::smile::grin::lol::twisted::cool: Although it doesn't "sound" like anything to me since I'm only reading it.:eek::roll::grin::smile::lol::twisted::wink::cool:
Oh and I almost forgot, it reads pretty good to me.:lol::cool:

Respectfully (For the most part:twisted::wink:),
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-20-2014 11:59
Sure. Post fabrication, i.e. post weld, stress relief, i.e. heat treatment. Section IX determines requirements for post weld heat treatment. What is done subsequent to welding is determined by the WPS which is determined by Section IX, or whatever the Code of qualification may be. I hope the i.e.'s didn't present too much gobbledygook for you, i.e pip pip cheery'o.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 03-20-2014 13:41
aye aye, I see!
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 04-03-2014 13:09
JS55 I agree technically with what you say in general but you must abide within the specifications you are contracted to work to even if you disagree with them (I realize this is under the ASME section but) for example it is an essential variable to EEMUA 158 and BS 4515 in the UK for example.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-03-2014 16:08
nantong,
No disagreement.
Parent - By muziyu Date 03-24-2014 05:42
could you offer more information.
may be i can help you!
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Unassigned Material Procedure Qalification