Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / An interesting .pdf on Weld Sizing Criteria and Over Welding
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-17-2014 07:06
"Weld Sizing Design Criteria and Overwelding in Naval Surface Combatants"

in this .pdf. I read some interesting data and a whole lot of validation from the results of testing regarding some of the aspects with Weld sizing criteria besides the shocking to some but, realistic comparisons of costs related to fillet welds just from a change of 1/16" size difference... In short, a very good read IMHO... Check it out here:

http://www.nsrp.org/6-Presentations/Weld/101612_Weld_Sizing_Design_Criteria_and_Overwelding.pdf

Enjoy!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-17-2014 10:39
Thanks. Some of it was a bit over my head but useful.

I am wondering if there were any changes in weld size due to increased penetration of smaller fillet welds. There is a tendency based upon my observations of fillet weld test results when qualifying welders for the penetration to increase with a smaller size weld provided the only parameter change is travel speed.

My theory has always been the shielding of the base metal from the arc that is provided by a larger molten pool. But that is based upon theory and I have never researched in any farther. I just know it happens.

Have a great day Henry.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By Tyrone (***) Date 03-17-2014 12:14
Good study.
Quite the range in the fatigue data.  I would be hesitant to reduce the safety factor because of the scattered data plots.   Interesting read. Thanks Henry.

Tyrone
Parent - By jayceexiao Date 04-10-2014 13:16
Nice to meet you. I am a Chinese and  I am a welding Engineer, I want find a foreigner at this place,which communication tools do you use? Thank you
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / An interesting .pdf on Weld Sizing Criteria and Over Welding