Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Eye Protection
- - By kgilligan Date 03-20-2014 14:44
I have a welder/fabricator that has had numerous foreign body in his eyes. He has been wearing goggles and a face shield for grinding operations and still continues to get steel dust particles in his eyes.  He is a heavier person and the goggles tend to fog up. I don't believe he is getting the particles in his eyes during grinding operations but when he stops to wipe his brow with his welding gloves or when he removes his goggles, or when he takes off his sweatshirt at the end of the day etc. I'm concerned for his eye safety and we have tried various goggles. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Kelly
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-20-2014 15:34
If you are a medium/large Company, I would bet your insurance carrier has access to an industrial hygenest that might have some input. Probably at no cost for a consult.

I'm sure your insurance carrier would like to see fewer lost time claims and near misses in the log.

Sometimes welding supply outlets have experts who can make good recommendations when they get a look at the specific work environment your person is in... Sometimes they are just sales folk... But worth a try.

Without knowing exactly the details of the work environment its hard to make a recommendation.

There are a HUGE number of safety glasses and goggles that are available... And it's very true that different shaped faces will cause glasses to fog up when others can use them without trouble...  It may take some time to find what is best for your man... But its impressive that you are making the effort.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-20-2014 22:33
Is he wearing a full faceshield? This will greatly reduce the dusty forhead and reduce the likelihood of injuries.

If he is a welder then a hood with the ability to grind with would help.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-24-2014 11:35
Gerald,
At my previous employer, we reduced our eye injuries from several a month down to less than one per year when we added full face shields to our grinding operations (in addition to the safety glasses). Good suggestion.
Parent - By lo-hi (**) Date 03-21-2014 10:55
How about a sweat band and fog proof safety glasses? There are products to fog proof goggles also, we use them on ski goggles. Just remember in your quest to idiot proof any type of equipment, you run the risk of making smarter idiots.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-23-2014 13:45
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-23-2014 17:33
I'm wondering why these systems are still so expensive.  The technology is nothing out of the ordinary and the hardware is not unusual. 

I have often though about cutting a hole in a helmet,  attaching a pancake fan, wiring up a microcontroller to sense light and load on the fan and seeing if I can get it working for under a grand.

Have a great day.

Gerald Austin.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-27-2014 14:46
Here's a Miller "Cool Band" that is basically a battery operated fan under the hood.
It's good for circulating air under the hood and keeping safety glasses from fogging up, but it does not filter air or prevent fume from getting in.
$120 bucks for the cool band, or $240 for a belt moounted unit.

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/articles/welding-heat-stress-relief-coolband-safety-Miller-helmet-cooling-system-PPE/

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Eye Protection