Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Building bridges
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-20-2014 23:01
How COR-TENĀ® has been used to build memorable structures in the U.S.
WWW.THEFABRICATOR.COM JANUARY 2012
January 9, 2012

By: Professor R. Carlisle "Carl" Smith

Some fabricators and educators are fascinated by bridges. Bridges come in many different types, and diverse materials are used to build them...
An interesting history of COR-TEN steel and some of it's uses although it is primarily indicated in this article as a type of steel used to to build The New River Gorge Bridge in West Virginia which is world re-known from the many people who go there to parachute or bungee jump off this bridge over the years since it's initial construction and going over the pro's and cons regarding the use of CORE-TEN for this application back in the days when realistically not much was known how this type of steel would interact with the other materials being used such as concrete, etc.

And he goes on describing some methods they learned from what they have observed through time about how this metal corrodes in certain conditions faster than in other environments as well as how it interacts with other materials to design methods and techniques in order to mitigate some of the cons that they weren't aware back in the early years of it's widespread use...

Carl also describes how this steel was initially developed by US Steel and how it has changed hands over the years with respect to the various companies that have, and are currently producing CORE-TEN Steel... I enjoy reading these articles especially the historical aspects found in them which to me at least are educational and fun to imagine being there when they were building this bridge and other major projects also... Enjoy the read folks!:eek::twisted::roll::grin::smile::lol::wink::cool:

http://www.thefabricator.com/article/metalsmaterials/building-bridges

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 03-23-2014 06:49
a lot of architects are spec'ing cor-ten now for decorative reasons but not really cluing their clients in on the price difference between that and mild steel.   I have ran into several jobs that i quoted and the clients got really big eyes when they found out the price.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Building bridges