Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminium alloy welding-Helium+AC
- - By kevin zhang (*) Date 03-25-2014 12:37
Hello, everyone.

We are using alternate Current + Helium to weld aluminium alloy, but i have little experiense in this welding process.

To be honest, this method is from parent company, but i don't know why we use AC+He instead of AC+Ar, He is much more expensive than Ar.by the way, our product is plate-fin heat exchanger.

Do you have any ideas, friends?

Thanks,
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-25-2014 13:46
Usually, but not always, Helium is used with DCEN when welg aluminum to increase the heat input and joint penetration when welding thick aluminum joints.

Using Helium with AC requires higher arc voltage and produces a welding arc that is not as stable as welding with DC, but it will work.

Hopefully there are PQRs to demonstrate the process produces the required results.

Al
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-25-2014 15:36
When using Helium with AC we use Argon to and use as a mixture. I have never used Helium on AC along. Like Al said are you using A PQR for this job and what code are you using.

M.G.
Parent - By kevin zhang (*) Date 03-26-2014 13:16
Thank you Al, we have PQRs for this process.

By the way, did you use ESAB TIG welding machine? we have some machines, but i have a problem, helium flow rate must below 8L/min when we use He+AC, or the arc can't continue work, i can't understand it.
the machine type is TIG 4300I AC/DC, it's a small torch(max. current: 250A)
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-26-2014 02:13
ok
old timer... know a thing or two
before gtaw or tig...there was heli-arc
we used helium and a/c to weld aluminum
many moons ago
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
btw you want the science just ask
Parent - - By Lewis87 (*) Date 03-26-2014 03:32
since you offered, I would like to know the science to it.  This would be usful to expand the ol knowledge bank.  Thank you.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-27-2014 12:15
Lewis,
Actually the AWS D10 document on shielding gases is a good resource.
Parent - By Lewis87 (*) Date 04-01-2014 01:03
Thanks! I'll look into that.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-26-2014 11:32 Edited 03-26-2014 22:15
I'll have to give it a try today and see for myself.I used Helium on DCEN current but I will give it a try on AC. Get back with you in a little while. How do you resize a picture to fit.

M.G.
Attachment: moto_0054.jpg (0B)
Parent - By kevin zhang (*) Date 03-26-2014 13:22
i can give you some pictures for Helium+AC:grin:
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-26-2014 12:12
ok
You young whipper-snapper you where wright you can AC with helium. I will post a picture this afternoon now I know why they called it Heli-arc welding. So I quess you can teach an old dog new tricks. LOL

M.G.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-27-2014 00:26
well we should pass on our knowledge
wish we knew some snot nosed kids so they could use this
roflmao:wink:
thanks Milt:smile:
sincerely,
Kent
btw your left handed?
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-27-2014 11:28
I showed a younger person yesterday how you can us Helium to weld but the cost of helium is out of this world now.

M.G.
Attachment: moto_0053.jpg (0B)
Attachment: moto_0054.jpg (0B)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-27-2014 03:42 Edited 03-27-2014 04:26
that's what Linde Union Carbide branded it after Russell Meredith came up with the refined process which had already been around for quite some time but needed more improvements to be a reliable process and to be used with Aluminum & Magnesium back in the forties and it was first used in building Dr. John K, Northrop's XP-56 airplane body for Lockheed Aircraft... Gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW) had its beginnings from an idea by C.L. Coffin to weld in a nonoxidizing gas atmosphere, which he patented in 1890. The concept was further refined in the late 1920s by H.M.Hobart, who used helium for shielding, and P.K. Devers, who used argon. This process was ideal for welding magnesium and also for welding stainless and aluminum. It was perfected in 1941, patented by Meredith, and named Heliarc® welding. It was later licensed to Linde Air Products which was a division of Union Carbide, where the water-cooled torch was developed also.

C. L. Coffin had the idea of welding in an inert gas atmosphere in 1890, but even in the early 20th century, welding non-ferrous materials such as aluminum and magnesium remained difficult because these metals react rapidly with the air and result in porous, dross-filled, welds.[2] Processes using flux-covered electrodes did not satisfactorily protect the weld area from contamination. To solve the problem, bottled inert gases were used in the beginning of the 1930s. A few years later, a direct current, gas-shielded welding process emerged in the aircraft industry for welding magnesium.[3]

Russel Meredith of Northrop Aircraft perfected the process in 1941.[4] Meredith named the process Heliarc because it used a tungsten electrode arc and helium as a shielding gas, but it is often referred to as tungsten inert gas welding (TIG); in parts of the world where tungsten is called wolfram, it is known as WIG. The official American Welding Society term is gas tungsten arc welding (GTAW). Linde Air Products, a Division of Union Carbide Corporation, purchased US patent 2,274,631 and name from Northrup and developed the process. Linde, along with others, developed a wide range of air-cooled and water-cooled torches, gas lenses to improve shielding and other accessories that increased the use of the process. Initially, the electrode overheated quickly and, despite tungsten's high melting temperature, particles of tungsten were transferred to the weld.[3] To address this problem, the polarity of the electrode was changed from positive to negative, but the change made it unsuitable for welding many non-ferrous materials. Finally, the development of alternating current units made it possible to stabilize the arc and produce high quality aluminum and magnesium welds.[3][5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_tungsten_arc_welding

Russell Meredith - Inventor of Gas Tungsten Arc Welding

Russell Meredith was born in 1901.  His interest in welding began while he was a pipeliner for the Southern California Gas Company. Later, while working for Warner Brothers Studios in Hollywood he repaired cars that were banged up from movie chase scenes... In 1934 Russell joined Lockheed where he worked for 35 years.  During that time he was assigned to figure out how to weld magnesium for Dr. John K. Northrup's XP-56 airplane body... In 1942, Meredith was issued US Patent 2274631 for the process originally named Heli-Arc welding and now known as Gas Tungsten Arc Welding.  

http://weldinghistory.org/whfolder/biography/bio-meredith.html

Developments continued during the following decades. Linde Air Products developed water-cooled torches that helped to prevent overheating when welding with high currents.[6] Additionally, during the 1950s, as the process continued to gain popularity, some users turned to carbon dioxide as an alternative to the more expensive welding atmospheres consisting of argon and helium. However, this proved unacceptable for welding aluminum and magnesium because it reduced weld quality, so it is rarely used with GTAW today.[7] The use of any shielding gas containing an oxygen compound, such as carbon dioxide, will quickly contaminate the tungsten electrode and should not be used with the TIG process.

In 1953, a new process based on GTAW was developed, called plasma arc welding. It affords greater control and improves weld quality by using a nozzle to focus the electric arc, but is largely limited to automated systems, whereas GTAW remains primarily a manual, hand-held method.[7] Development within the GTAW process has continued as well, and today a number of variations exist. Among the most popular are the pulsed-current, manual programmed, hot-wire, dabber, and increased penetration GTAW methods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_tungsten_arc_welding

Here's another cool site for the novice who's interested in learning some interesting history and facts surrounding TIG or GTA Welding:

http://www.netwelding.com/history_tig_welding.htm

Finally, here's an article to read in an older version of Adobe .pdf reader (Don't worry, your up to date version will give you the option to use an older version) written by
Grant Ken Hicken, Sandia National Laboratory... It's not a direct link so you need to first copy & paste into your url bar up on top of the page to get to it:

ftp://63.174.97.22/pub/MARC_Records/V06/asmhba0001356.pdf

I want this system for jewelry making & repairs and silver & any other precious metal repairs:

Review & Usage of Lampert's Pulse Arc Welders © Jeffrey Herman  Society of American Silversmiths

Check this version of micro TIG  or GTA welding:

Overview

As any silversmith knows, silver solder is the ideal material to use when joining sterling pieces by the traditional method of brazing. Sometimes I will receive an object which has been lead-soldered in the area in need of repair (or re-repair). Sometimes the joined area is not visually accessible, and I don't know if lead has been used.

In either case, I cannot use silver solder because the high temperature required will melt any lead in the joint and allow it to form its own alloy with the silver. Not pretty! And, using a low temperature tin/silver solder won't give me a sound joint or good silver color. For this reason, I had been exploring newer technologies for joining metals. I tested laser welders from a few manufacturers, but found that their compartments are too small for working on holloware. In addition, they are expensive to buy and notoriously expensive to repair, and the down-time for repairs can be substantial. I also tested the Mini Pulse III (an arc welder) from Aelectronic Bonding, which had too few welding power options and didn't allow me to get into tight spaces.

I tested a friend's Lampert PUK 2 pulse arc welder for a few months, and refined my technique to the point where I felt confident to purchase Lampert's PUK 3s Professional, which was developed to weld silver more successfully. I was so impressed that I soon purchased the PUK 3s Professional Plus which had a broader power range, additional impulse settings, and five programmable settings.

Since I use the PUK on a daily basis, it was only natural to upgrade again to Lampert's latest model: the PUK04, which has the following advances over the previous models I've owned. Features in bold were the most important to me:

• Touch-screen programming.
• Smaller footprint;
• Exclusive "soft start" pulse for even cleaner welds and less electrode tip embedment;
• Substantially less cracking when welding and using filler wire for an even stronger weld;
• Minimum impulse setting: .5 milliseconds – critical for ultra-thin metal (the PUK 3s Plus: 3ms);
• 33 programmable settings (the PUK 3s Plus: 5);
• Three LED intensity settings.

Advice on welding larger objects
Whether it be pulse arc or laser, welding isn't meant to substitute for brazing large objects. Welding long seams (e.g., on coffeepots or candlesticks) is more time-consuming than simply using the welder to tack a seam in preparation for brazing.

If attaching parts to large bearing surfaces (e.g., a large finial to a coffeepot cover), it's best to tack the part in place, then use the capillary action of torch-brazing to fill the void. Always consider the time it will take to weld or braze and the subsequent clean-up... I want one but I don't have $5-1/2 K dollars to purchase!:eek::roll::sad::sad:
There's a whole bunch more in the link below.

http://www.silversmithing.com/puk.htm#Overview

I still want one!!! Well that's it for now... I gotta rest for pulmonary rehab tomorrow and tolerate a so-called respiratory therapist coming from my so-called oxygen supplier which ought to be so much fun! Enjoy the reading!:eek::twisted::grin::smile::lol::wink::cool::roll:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 03-27-2014 04:31
Henry
you know too much
make the us look bad:wink:
I thought I got one here
and you got way over me:wink::lol:
sincerely
Kent
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-27-2014 11:24
I agree Kent. Thanks Henry.
      M.G.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 03-27-2014 20:31
What thickness is the aluminum? Just a mix of 75% Ar & 25% He produces fantastic results. Use a truncated pointed tungsten end. Can the GTAW machine's AC weld output be unbalanced? if so. Set it for 65% or higher for time at negative. AC output Frequency 120 - 180 Hz minimum.
He takes about 5 volts more to ionize than Ar. Therefore, an arc at 150 amps would produce about 750 additional watts for the heat input. That is using the formula for Joules (watts per unit length). Joules equals volts X Amps X 60 divided by travel speed.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2014 12:23
Nice work Henry.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Aluminium alloy welding-Helium+AC