Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / For those who want an alternative to XP OS
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-26-2014 08:03 Edited 03-26-2014 08:32
Hi everybody!

Some of us use the soon to be unsupported Windows XP operating system (OS) on their probably obsolete/older computers also and are faced with the dilemma of what to do after XP is no longer supported with updates from Microsoft after roughly 21 and a 1/2 days from today... I just happened to find a solution to your upcoming situation...

I present to you a Linux based OS that works with your existing software and is probably one of the most secure OS's out in the industry today and that says a lot! Without getting into details and instead of trying to explain how it works, here's a direct link to the homepage and one that gives you a tour of this incredible operating system which has 7 different versions available to use and some of them you have to pay to use them depending on how you most likely use your computer for, and yet the general purpose version is absolutely free and enables you to continue to use your existing applications that were written for Window XP also in this version of a linux based yet very user friendly operating system!!!

Here's the link and I hope this can help anyone that really cannot afford to purchase a new upgraded computer and buy a newer OS & application just so you can run them on your soon to be obsolete computer that you haven't even bought yet!!! Remember this is a FREE Operating System that's an excellent and secure alternative to XP!:yell:

The last day for Microsoft support for Windows XP is rapidly approaching so I urge you all to check it out unless of course you have already upgraded although one could still use this on their older computer in order to securely use it  without the fear of getting hacked or infected with malware used as a set up for identity theft.

http://zorin-os.com/tour.html

http://zorin-os.com/faq.html

http://zorin-os.com/index.html

http://zorin-os.com/installguide.html

Below are some screenshots (XP, Mac OSX and Windows 7) of how the various Operating System layouts one can choose from when using this OS called Zorin.:smile::grin::lol:
This is too important to post exclusively here in the OTB&G so, I'm going to post this topic in the "Shop Talk" section also and I hope I don't ruffle any feathers for doing so.:grin:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 04-02-2014 17:45
Hello Henry
  I wouldn't be to concerned about running Windows XP after the deadline , All the XP computers I had, when I got them up and running good I turned off automatic updates anyway  they kept running good that way.
  Tom
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-02-2014 18:09 Edited 04-02-2014 23:30
Thanks a million Henry!

I am one of those lucky people that has one of the latest souped-up i7 quad core laptops.  However, my old 2004 vintage system still runs XP, and I use it for a lot of off line stuff as well as a backup system.  I avoid connecting it to the Internet though due to poor anti-virus support.

Now, it looks like the anti-virus support for older systems will only get worse.  I don't know about anyone else, but the last time I took down my protections I was attacked by a virus within less than 15 minutes.

Norton, which is the Gold Standard, started having serious issues running properly on XP before this deadline even came upon us.  I started using Microsoft Windows Defender in place of Norton on my old system, and the scans take about 12 to 16 hours - compared to about 75 minutes for my quad core system.

Do you have any suggestions regarding where we might get our anti-virus updates after support after XP ends?  I fear that users that continue without getting the latest virus updates might expose themselves to an undesirable level of risk.  Maybe AVG or one of the freeware options will support us, but I still have my fears.

Update:  I just read the Fox News story on this subject, and it looks like anti virus support might be available for 1 to 3 years after XP ends.  The really bad news is that when the anti virus support for XP ends, dangerous hackers might use the updates to Windows 7 and 8 as a road map back into the XP systems that will then be unsupported...

Although a Linux based system like this one claims to be more secure, the only reason is that fewer hackers have tried to attack these systems.  If more people are using them then more viruses will begin to pop up.  No system is secure from attack.  Unfortunately, the defense is all tied to probabilities.  Is there more risk with a well defended system that is attacked more frequently, or with a poorly defended system that is seldom attacked?  I'm sorry I still don't have an answer.  But, I hate to see all these obsolete electronics headed for the proverbial "poisoned" toxic scrap dump somewhere in China.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-03-2014 00:53
I think I am going to try this OP Sys out!  I just learned that I will have the option to keep both operating systems and to choose which one to run at boot time.  If I can speed up my old dog that will be a big plus.  If I like it and run into trouble, I might get the premium version to get their tech support. I might donate anyway since this is a worthy cause.

Amazon is selling ready to go versions on USB flash drives.  They want more than the download shareware suggested donation, but one of the Amazon choices includes several useful software packages like a Microsoft Office Suite emulator...This has me thinking...I would like to get a full version of Word and PowerPoint that is more current and I don't want to invest in a new full office suite yet.  I don't know if I am cheating or not if I buy one of the "compatible" Office Suite emulators.  There is nothing I hate more than investing hundreds of dollars in new software every few years - especially when I already own the same programs and they are working fine for me.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 04-03-2014 01:40
OBEWAN do not pay for Linux based software ever, unless you wish to contribute of course. It is FREE! including the excellent OFFICE software LibreOffice which can open, edit and save most MS files such as WORD,POWERPOINT EXCEL even ACCESS!
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-03-2014 03:13
It can only open the back end data of Access Files. As far as I know after quite a bit of searching there is no Linux application that will open the forms, reports etc. But other than that Linux does most everything else office does.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 04-03-2014 04:45
A database management program, similar to Microsoft Access. LibreOffice Base allows the creation and management of databases, preparation of forms and reports that provide end users easy access to data. Like Access, it can be used to create small embedded databases that are stored with the document files (using Java-based HSQLDB as its storage engine), and for more demanding tasks it can also be used as a front-end for various database systems, including Access databases (JET),ODBC/JDBC data sources, and MySQL, MariaDB, PostgreSQL or Microsoft Access.[9][22]
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-03-2014 07:06
may as well kill this thread
best o/s is openbsd
@openbsd.org
and Glyn
2 strikes on database
but hit a home run with Postgresql
@postgresql.org
both free, and open source
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-03-2014 10:57
I have used it.  What I was speaking of was the ability to use already developed Access mdb files.  The bulk of my work that has gone into an access application is contained in the forms and code.

I do like Libre Office though.

Have a good one. 

Gerald
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-03-2014 14:33 Edited 04-03-2014 15:16
I am looking at the Libre Office Suite options at their website.  They do not make it 100% clear what the differences are between Libre Fresh and Libre Stable - I presume they are related to code updates - which they do describe in the version release notes.  I am thinking about the download options now.

I found out that some of this code runs in Java which means that this application might open doors to an increased security risk for people who choose to run it in Windows.  For what its worth, I do not feel comfortable running this in Windows and would suggest that it is best to restrict this code to Linux if you are worried about virus attacks.

For anyone else that is interested in this software, my suggestion would be to use the official Libre website to avoid the malware that is often attached at some of the other free download websites.  Thank's to all for the suggestions and good advice!

https://www.libreoffice.org/discover/libreoffice/
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-03-2014 15:15
Here is a good source of information regarding the portions of Libre that were written in Java:

https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Development/Java
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-04-2014 06:29 Edited 04-04-2014 06:34
You can always dual boot the OS's to avoid that possible loophole...

AVG, AVAST, AVIRA and a few other AV's are available for free via Cnet, Major Geeks and a few other websites that offer sooo many different types of software that are either free without any time restrictions or free trial periods as well as software to purchase...
These also offer reviews and some even offer reviews on hardware and other electronics too...

I currently use AVG free version and it's better than Norton any day of the week... Good luck and please do consider dual booting so you can run both OS's independent of each other and if you're going to update, then update to Windows 7 and avoid 8 because it really SUCKS!:mad::sad::evil:

7 is basically a fixed version of vista with some cool features Windows Vista lacked so, if you were frustrated with Vista, you'll breathe in a sigh of relief with Windows 7...
I have Windows 7 Ultimate version and it's really stable and very secure if you configure your computer properly so go for it or finally, you could switch to Apple's OS X and spend a whole lot more money for everything because you're forced to use only apple software and hardware and everything they sell is comparably more expensive also--->
(The Windows Emulator in Apple is so-so at best)...

Gotta run and hit the rack because of another medical appointment which seem to never end and are burning holes in my pockets!:eek::fat::razz::mad::sad::slim::roll::twisted::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By tazmannusa (**) Date 04-24-2014 03:07
You are right Henry Zorin is a pretty good system, heck of a lot easier than when I first started playing with linux 'that was back when we ran the ol 486's.
I downloaded the 64 bit version this morning and installed it on about a two year old machine running an I5 processor ,Nvidia video card,SATA III and 8 gigs DDR3.
Runs just as fast as XP or windows 7 on the same machine and seems to be stable. took me a bit to get some goodies going on it but they are up and running good
Netflix, Amazon prime video , Spotify , and Pandora . 55" tv as monitor via HDMI and it looks clear and the sound is good, only thing I can't get going so far is 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound
via the HDMI only stereo .
Not bad at all considering it is free heck the one I just built running windows 8.1 I've got a couple hundred just in the OS and DVD software and there is no office stuff at all
Tom
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 04-24-2014 14:16 Edited 04-24-2014 16:15
All this talk about OS upgrades has me thinking again, and I am by nature a worrier.  What is the most robust approach to records retention?

At one nuke project we used 100% paper records, and they filled a giant warehouse.  The audit process was a real challenge.

However, electronic media requires backups and must be in a format that is somewhat universal and subject to few format changes.

I am moving towards USB Flash drives myself, but that invites some worrisome security issues.

And, what about for the shop?  One shop I supported used laminated plastic cards for their weld procedures.

I am hopeful that someday high memory tablets with solid state drives might become commonplace, but that will mean more junk headed to the landfill unless we have the proper hand-me-down systems in place to make use of the older technology.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / For those who want an alternative to XP OS