Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tensile strength test of aluminium alloy filler metal
- - By kevin zhang (*) Date 03-31-2014 13:30
Hi, friends,

i got a problem, according to AWS A5.10, i don't know how to test the tensile strength of filler metal.

we know if we want to test the tensile strength of filler metal, we need all-weld metal specimens, but according to the figures, we can't get all weld metal specimens.

do you have any comments about it ?

Thanks,
Kevin
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 03-31-2014 14:15
Kevin, have you called your supplier of the filler rods and ask for a certified material report are call the company that made the wire they will send it to you. We have certs for our filler wire.

M.G.
Parent - - By kevin zhang (*) Date 04-01-2014 12:29
Yes,i got a certifiacte, but there is no information about mechanical property.

the filler metal is ER5183.

i tested it last week, the tensile strength is about 130 Mpa, i don't think it is acceptable.
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 04-01-2014 13:08
The supplier should get all that info. for you.Call the company and talk to them and explain what you need they may also help
Parent - By kevin zhang (*) Date 04-02-2014 15:25
Yes, Thanks, i'll take your advice.:razz:
Parent - - By kevin zhang (*) Date 04-02-2014 15:30
Hi, friend.

I want to ask you for advice, what will you do if you plan to test the tensile strength of filler metal(for example:ER5183)?

Thanks,
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 04-02-2014 15:57
AWS A5.10 does not have any requirement for mechanical testing.  Only tests required are chemical, RT, and Bead-on-Plate (weldability).  ALCOTEC has a bit of data for welds here

http://www.alcotec.com/us/en/support/upload/a5183tds.pdf

they show 40KSI for UTS (not sure of how they ran the coupon) which is ~275MPa.  This looks like a standard groove weld test, rather than an all-weld-metal
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tensile strength test of aluminium alloy filler metal