Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lift Day Fotos
- - By Superflux (****) Date 04-03-2014 17:39 Edited 04-03-2014 17:53
Got to see the largest hydraulic crane I've ever been around in action today.
It's Liehberr 880 ton dressed up with 180 tons of counterweights. Car body, revolving frame and outriggers are all self contained on the mobile unit. The boom was transported on a separate truck and weighs 70 tons. Pretty amazing to watch them set the rig, stack counter weights, attach the boom, set remaining counterweights and reave the block and load test in one day (yesterday), then make the lift this morning.
The tank roof weighs in at about 40 tons and the (6th) top ring is 33 feet tall/ 66' in dimeter.

Just thought I'd share this.
I thought it was a kinda cool day at the ol' grind.
Attachment: FlyingRoof.JPG (412k)
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-03-2014 18:47
Superflux-

Yeah, that is pretty cool.  Operators and riggers that know their stuff are always a good show to watch.  Man, your work enviroments seem just a lttle too cush for a hard working guy.  They hiring?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 04-03-2014 19:07
Forgot to put this one in.
Here it is yesterday hoisting it's boom off the flatbed.
Attachment: 800TCraneassy2.JPG (189k)
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-03-2014 19:43
yojimbo,

Everyone is always asking me to "get them on". The truth is that the welders in some of the places I work probably make less than your local WongMart Greeter.
As for me, I'll most likely have to go up to NoDak for my next gig (YUK!!!!) if there's nothing over here or yonder in a couple months when we finish.

Concerning the "Cushy Factor". Well, just like Fred Astaire or Jackie Chan. I rely on a LOT of retakes (as in major Foul-ups) and just manage to make the final shot look easy and that makes everyone think they could do it. It's grueling to have to endure this stuff. Absolutely abysmal...  ;)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-04-2014 05:37
Cool pictures! Seen some pretty big one rolling down the highway a few months ago but doubt it was anything like this monster! Great pictures! Fred Astaire, one of my favorites!
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 04-04-2014 16:41
I am fascinated with cranes and their lifting capability...   Thanks for sharing John.

Btw where are you located now?

QCRobert
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-05-2014 03:00
I will have to say that is the most beastly OTR crane I have ever seen with a hydro boom.  Pretty cool they can set the boom off its own jib.  LOL how many hydro booms ya ever seen that needed a jib!
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 04-29-2014 18:38
I was lucky enough to do inspections while this crane was operating.  It's just crazy huge and was lifting incredible weights with ease.

http://www.intelfreepress.com/news/giant-crane-finishes-job-at-high-tech-factory/153

http://www.lampson.com.au/LTL2600.html
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-29-2014 19:37 Edited 04-29-2014 20:52
Hello Doug, that's a little larger version of the one that was their biggest when I toured their fabrication facilities a number of years ago. We also have a number of past students working on that site with a couple of different crafts, quite a job, indeed and quite a crane. Thanks for sharing, best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-29-2014 21:05
I saw a t.v. show many moons ago that showed the big cranes that set oil rig platforms and all other crazy things on the high seas. Just the amount of weight the land based and ocean going cranes can pick up is amazing, just fascinating to watch.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-29-2014 23:37
I believe that I watched some similar shows, Modern Marvels or something like that, truly incredible to say the least. Haven't been around those types of lifts but would sure like to be a time or two just to see how it's done. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-30-2014 01:17
WOW....1/2million lb load and it can crawl with it!  Pretty awesome.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-30-2014 02:39
Tommy, that's 5 million, 200 thousand pounds. Yeah, youch that's a load of weight. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-30-2014 03:14
OH!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lift Day Fotos