Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / BEHOLD THUNDER DOME!
- - By Superflux (****) Date 04-05-2014 15:12
2 Men enter, 1 man leaves - 2 Men enter, 1 man leaves - 2 Men enter, 1 man leaves...

First tank job I've been on where they build the roof on the ground and then fly it up.
Ya gotta love this line of work. You see something different on every gig.
Attachment: ThunderDome.JPG (725k)
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-05-2014 16:02
SF-

Looks like a very cool project to be on if only for the location, but the construction sequencing also makes it unique.  How much of the project are you responsible for?  I understand you are there for inspection?

Below is a short list of questions I'm sure you don't have the time or interest to address and would rather taunt the rest of us poor bastards stuck doing the SOS in boring, snow/rain ridden locales with photographs of sun laden beachfront properties, all the while paying taxes on our hard earned pesos, but if you felt like letting us nosetothewheelosers have a vicarious moment of respite and wanted to make us really jealous:

How many welders building the tank
Are they local or foriegn expats
What codes are you working to
Are there different work gangs/contractors for the pipeline in the backround
Are those Lincoln machines
Is it American consumables
National source of steel
National source for roof beam fabrication
Is this DOD work or Petrol industry
Whats the inspection criteria on the tank/pipeline work
How much interaction do you have with the welders
Do you work with a translator
What differences working with non-US welders
Beyond CWI what special inspection certs. were you required to have
How much does a beer cost
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-06-2014 00:06 Edited 04-06-2014 01:13
yojimbo

FWIW, a job is a job is a job... Once you are in the groove it IS the SOS Different Day... I just like variety and am easily bored. Not like I'm James Bond or Jason Bourne and get to bop around the planet at will, kill the bad guys and have a hot supermodel sooth me every night.

How many welders building the tank? There are 3 tanks 66' in dia. X 40' tall and I have 6 stick welders, 1 sub arc operator and 1 tacker that I'm about pull off if he doesn't stop chicken scratching all over the tanks! Unfortunately, he now thinks he's a welder which is a step up in the local social ladder. There is an inflated sense of self worth, but I must be gentle with him.... There are 10 tanks total on my phase of this project. The other 7 (much smaller) though are 80% - 100% prefabbed and require minor assembly and anchoring as far as any welding is concerned.
Are they local or foriegn expats? All locals
What codes are you working to? API 650 and associated ASTM Standards for milled and rolled plate
Are there different work gangs/contractors for the pipeline in the background. Yes. The other contractor will tie in to the tanks... I think??? Thanks for reminding me. I gotta ask Mr. UFO photographer where his prints end. Sorry, I tend to be a bit myopic and often don't look at the Big Picture until necessary. The Jetty pipeline way off in the distance is Iraqi oil. This gig is recycling ballast water from the tanker ships.
Are those Lincoln machines? Nope
Is it American consumables. No. But look to the top right of your screen for the name brand of the parent company....
National source of steel? See myopia comment above.
National source for roof beam fabrication. See myopia problem comment above. There is a resident engineer on site that does all the receiving inspections and documentation.
Is this DOD work or Petrol industry? Petroleum.
Whats the inspection criteria on the tank/pipeline work? API 650, ASME sec. V and since it's "inside the fence", the pipe lines are to ASME B31.3
How much interaction do you have with the welders. Intense surveillance. Plus I have a good rapport with them.
Do you work with a translator? Nope. And there in lies the quandary. When dealing with locals that have minimum "text book" English, many things are lost or misconstrued in translation. Such as; "I have penetration tomorrow to make you smile"... STOP THINKING IT! He's trying to say "I will FINALLY get the Dye Penetrant test report to you in the morning that you've been hassling me for the past week"!!!
What differences working with non-US welders? Uhhh BOY! Somewhere in the big scheme of things, all welding hood manufacturers must smear some unknown pathogen into the sweat bands of every welding hood that has ever been manufactured. It gives the owner/bearer of said device an instant inflation of ego and blinds them of any and all flaws produced while this mask is strapped onto their face. Welders ARE the same Planet wide. Unless you have a mixture of Pipe and Structural. The aforementioned pathogen can detect the presence of round stuff view through the lenses and filters. This view somehow creates a rich and fertile environment/breeding ground in which the virus further enhances the ego and degrades the vision. Even in a Structural Steel shop, if you have welders working on the "O Beam", watch out. It will now metastasize throughout the whole body and all of the "O-beam" welders have now become immedicable and gained Super Powers.
Beyond CWI what special inspection certs. were you required to have? None/Nada. But 30 years as a welder (Chief Engr likes his QC to have a solid background in hands on welding) plus having a Level II PT, MT, UT, VT probably helped me make the final cut.
How much does a beer cost? Purdy much the same as every where except unless you are in a "Dry County" in the Bible Belt, USA and it's a Sunday and you've resorted to a boot legger. see foto. That's about $2.50 USD over the counter. One or 50 don't matter, the price is the same.

FWIW, I've never qualified for the 335 days out of country tax exempt status (up to $95K?) and I DO pay to the US IRS. I know some very well to do folks that lie about their time out of country and (supposedly) have Swiss, Bahama and/or Cayman Island bank accounts. When you listen carefully past the BS, they actually spend as much if not more time and money avoiding taxes. Then again, no one has offered nor have I requested to see full disclosure of their personal financial portfolio. So it's all here say.
All that glitters is not gold. At the end of the day, I've dealt with Super welders, minimally competent "in house" QC, over thinking engineers and zealous management.
Damn! I'm gonna have me one of them $2.50 beers now.
Attachment: BeerPrice.jpg (374k)
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-06-2014 02:55
I personally provide that unknown pathogen to several welding hood manufactures....My helper spends the day taking them out of the box, I burn one rod with it on, then he gives me another and puts the last one back in said box.   Since I am pretty damm fast, getting the semis in and out of the jobsite with the doped hoods is a logistical nightmare.  Everyone must have thier niche I guess.....lol.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 04-06-2014 16:50
Super Flux-

I'll be contacting Fodors Guide publications and telling them to hold the presses until further discussion with you.  Fun read, thanks.  As I expected regarding the work ethic of our trade, the universally applied adage, "You can always tell a welder...", well you know the rest, seems to be as firmly entrenched as ever.

All joking aside, thanks for the insights, enjoy the gig and stay safe.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 04-07-2014 10:46
Good stuff Superflux,
Very interesting.  Thanks for the insights on your gig in the Mediterranean.
Looooong way to go for a Beck's!
Tyrone
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-07-2014 12:24
Tyrone,

They do sell Beck's in the USA. The local brew here is Effe's and is the first and only beer I've ever had that just might taste better at ambient temperature than cold. Yes, even better than warm Corona.
I brought back some Jaegermeister from Frankfurt Germany last month.
FWIW, I could tell no difference from the regular cough syrup that they sell back home. Still gave me the "Heebie-Jeebies" after every shot, and after downing a few too many with friends whilst doing the "Pepsi Challenge" comparing to the domestic stuff... I can honestly say there was no opiate induced euphoria (don't ask how I know know this) and still felt the necessity to do the "Porcelain Dinosaur Calls". I think it may have given me a temporary brain tumor judging from the pain the next day... and I do mean ALL day!

The welding machines are Fronious and all wire, flux and rods are from; well that ongoing advertising issue we are having.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 04-08-2014 01:01
Fronius I heard is a good machine. i have a friend who has a few of them
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 04-07-2014 19:22
Cool stuff, through my company I have a chance to occasionally travel the world usually I'm there for a specific reason and not as a welder or welding engineer. I did assist on welding in Sochi, I believe I posted some pics too.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 04-07-2014 20:15 Edited 04-07-2014 20:19
My first welding job was new construction of the SHNPP (nuke) near Raleigh, NC where CB&I built the RCB Reactor Containment Building. Basically a huge tank. They built the dome on the ground quite aways from the RCB. Had a sub contractor design and erect a HUGE crane to set the dome. Well, the crane didn't come close to reaching the fab location so I asked the obvious (I'm still green at this time so...) They said, They were going to fly it to where the crane could pick it.

I already knew there was no "real" sky hook so I didn't buy it, nor the left handed Crescent wrench. When the time came to make the mega lift, myself and many other qualified welders for CP&L were sent to BNP (Wilmington) because they burned all the outage welders out already so I missed the lift.

It was said that they lifted the dome with air bags onto large motorized flat beds and moved to to "The Carolina Giant" The name of the crane.

Didn't get to see that impressive mostrosity of a crane but did get my first experience as a radiation sponge. Would have rather seen the lift...

I can't imagine the anxiety that the designers and construction manager goes through while it's on the way up and until they (hopefully) see that it fits.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 04-08-2014 00:55
CB&I do have sky hooks, you ever see them float a roof up? Amazing engineering!

Whoops did I just type that?
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-10-2014 22:13
heh heh heh heh on CB&I.....:razz:
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-10-2014 14:42
Hey John, "back in the day", when Hanford was in pretty heavy swing there was an individual by the name of Lampson. He apparently noted that when they were building/assembling the dome for the containment buildings that work would need to cease inside until everything for the dome had been completed. After some contemplation, etc. he came up with a method for building the dome alongside the containment unit on a pad and then using a crane that he designed and built(the "Transi-Lift", 2000 ton mobile) to pick-up and place it in one piece atop the containment shell, thus cutting down the assembly/completion time by a bunch. At least that's the story that I got when I visited their fabrication facilities in Pasco, WA. many years ago. Looks like some fun as well as some good work you've got going on there. Enjoy and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-10-2014 17:29
Allan,

The story I've heard was that Lampson was an engineer for Manitowoc and designed a large mobile unit on tracks. After all the hard work, the chief of design R&D discredited his efforts.  He quit, found investors and the rest is history.
Who knows what the real or whole story might be (non disclosure and intellectual R&D property would seem to prevail over my tale). But Lampson DOES make some awesome rigs. I love being on a job when you see one of the big blue rigs!
We set a 240 ton Crude Column in '78 in Denver with a mediocre sized Manitowoc 4000W Ringer one time.
Same job, we broke the boom on an American brand crane trying to pull a 1600' well casing. Fortunately my weld was not what failed, but it ripped the casing in two, flung the main block back and took out a couple of the pieces of lattice. Our operator had a near death experience over that one.
When the heavy lifts take place, anything can go wrong.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-10-2014 18:22
That would certainly fit the track to current situations. I also heard that at one of the trade shows shortly after the Transi-lift units were built that they had a poster showing Lampson's crane lifting one of Manitowoc's largest units and holding it suspended. This might have been a rub that would certainly support what you said. All in all, heavy lifting has always fascinated me and I am sure many others too. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-10-2014 22:24
John on the Brew I could introduce you to many domestics as well as some very very fine German, and pretty good English products that absolutely MUST be consumed at chill certainly not iced down.  AT proper temps finer brews are there to be enjoyed at a moderate pace....and ya better cause most of them start at 8.5%.  One of my very favorites Augustiner Brau Maximator you may be able to locate over there....it is pricey here in the states at 2.50 a 12 oz bottle...but my goodness it is most wonderbar.  Been brewing since the 13th century...plenty of time to perfect it.  Be safe over there and DEFINITELy holler at me before you rotate back, I got some plans.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / BEHOLD THUNDER DOME!