Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Friction Stir Welding Process (FSW) - Welding Position
- - By badage1988 Date 04-06-2014 05:29
Based on ISO standard 25239-3 Qualification of Welding Operators for friction stir welding

Hey guys,

Does anyone knows whether friction stir welding has any ISO standard for its welding position. (Eg. FSW welding position PA is also suitable for position PB)  is there any ISO standard i can refer to for the range of qualification) .

From what i know from fusion welding process (ISO 9606) has its own welding position requirement such as butt weld position:PA is only suitable for only butt weld position :PA.

Thanks for the help.!!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-06-2014 06:58
Have you attempted to do an internet search yet?
Parent - - By badage1988 Date 04-06-2014 09:48
there is no clear indication on the internet search ... therefore seeking help in this forum.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-07-2014 21:25
I would suggest approaching TWI directly...  This is not a top secret type of question in any way.

They are the process pioneers

It's a solid state process so I am curious also if position is a requirement..

My guess would be that it very much depends on the applications.... Since FSW is so new and mostly limited to players who often write their own standards or write standards in consert with goverments/ISO, my guess is that position is going to be essential on a case by case basis.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-14-2014 10:52
I have noticed your posts about welding positions. Are you working on a homework assignment ?

Just curious because of the urgency and the fact that you have posted in multiple areas and multiple forums.

Put us into the context of why you need this info.

Gerald Austin
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Friction Stir Welding Process (FSW) - Welding Position