Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Good TIG Torch & Lead Plug Adapters?
- - By Furious_WJ Date 04-08-2014 19:34
Ok so I'm currently going to school and have my 3G D1.1 cert. (working on my 4G) I plan on returning to school in the fall to work on getting some GTAW certs. This summer I plan on getting a Thermal Arc/Tweco 181i multi process. Pretty much the instructor recommended that I get a personal TIG torch and I was looking at getting a really HTP flex head or something like that. Problem is at school we use Lincoln Precision TIG 225s and I plan on getting a Thermal Arc 181i. I cant find anywhere that tells me what the lead plug type is for the 181i. If I'm going to drop some descent change on a torch I want to be able to use it on my 181i and the Precision TIG at school. Do these 2 machines have the same plug type? If not is there an adapter I can use that would let me use the same torch on both? I have really only dealt with SMAW, GMAW, and FCAW so I'm new to the GTAW world. What type of torch would you all recommend? I'm not really concerned about the money so much I just want a reliable, high quality, air cooled torch that will last me awhile and say under $1,000. I have talked to a few guys and they seem to really like their HTP's. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Evan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-08-2014 21:48
An old instructors advice for beginners...

Do not drop coin on a machine until you have at least 180 hours under the hood using each process.

Accept all gifts welding machines.

The 3 in 1 is a good power supply
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-09-2014 00:43 Edited 04-09-2014 07:01
look at the power input aka amps you have
then work from there
weldcraft torches are the best and work on every machine
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Good TIG Torch & Lead Plug Adapters?