Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where is Brent???
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-09-2014 08:25
Has anyone heard or seen him post here or anywhere lately?

This is unusual for him to not participate for as long as he has lately... I hope he's okay! Where are you Brent?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-09-2014 09:27
Henry
I think he is joining Al in the protest over ads here
I hope that is the case
miss them both
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 04-09-2014 11:22
Brent are you out there.

M.G.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-10-2014 14:36
I think everybody is correct. I believe when the little yellow tab showed up in the top corner Brent was one of the ones who bailed out feet first! :lol:

Have not seen him since then, sad since I believed he had great input on many occasions, one I have learned a thing or two from!

Shawn
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-24-2014 15:23
Henry,  Friend, 

How are you?  Appears things are still holding together. 

Thank you for asking.  After the confrontation with Ross I decided I needed some self evaluation time as well as time to redirect some of my current work load. 

Self evaluation is a good thing.  At least for me.  Helps me realize how replaceable and expendable I am.  Attitude adjustment is vital to keeping us where we need to be...on our knees before a Holy God who is the only being who is not expendable and is the source of all knowledge and wisdom.

If I might take a minute, for the few who really care, I will fill in some details so there is no misunderstanding.

1)  About the time of the confrontation I had taken and passed the ICC Welding and Bolting Special Inspector Exams.  Then, City of LA Deputy Inspector Exam.  With those I started a job immediately on the new Wilshire Grand Hotel going up in LA.  Now, I am not in LA (Praise The Lord).  I am doing TPI inspections at the shops in AZ fabricating components for LA.  You can check it out by either Googling 'Wilshire Grand' or '900 Wilshire Blvd'.  Tallest building this side of the Mississippi River.  76 floors.  Great project to be part of and good people to work with.

Well, because of how few people have the proper credentials and want to work in AZ for a prolonged period we are manning the job at two different shops with very limited personnel.  As the shops are working between 20-24 hours per day, we have been working 10-12 hours per day and 3 out of 4 Saturdays as well as all week.  Not to mention, I drive back and forth, 1.5-2 hrs each way.  Not much time left in the day, BUT...

2) We have been doing inspections in Prescott, welding at our shop on jobs, and inspections in other parts of AZ.  I also sent Darrell on a job in MO and then one in IN.  Both of us have been going like crazy and don't have much free time.  THEN:

3) I started taking classes as Martin mentioned for my MT and UT as well as an earned and tested ASNT VT.  Darrell and youngest son Luke are also taking the classes and Darrell already has PT through a company we are doing most of our work with currently.  THEN:

4) Besides teaching a Sunday School class every Sunday morning at Church, I started teaching a men's class once a month.  Also, as church treasurer I had all the year end items to take care of for everyone's tax purposes.  THEN:

5) I have been very busy lately with meetings for our AZ Section of the AWS.  I prepared and presented a 55 slide power point on Preparing For The CWI Exams.  It took 2.5 hours to present at a meeting.  Went through the life changing decision making process, finding out if you are actually qualified, getting good facts about the full cost involved, knowing how much it may cost to actually go into business if not working for someone else, getting the info together and properly submitted to AWS for the exam and seminar, finding out how to self study even if taking the seminar, what to expect when getting to the seminar and exam, and seeing what is involved with the Part B part of the exam. 

Had pics of tool kits, weld molds, reference materials, and so much more.  Had 30 in attendance and got great responses.  (Really enjoyed teaching people who wanted to learn)

6) Had hit a plateau in my exercise and attempted weight loss so increased my workout times.  Finally lost the last 5 lbs to my goal but have decided to go slightly farther and hit a little lower of a mark.  I work out 45-90 minutes in the morning and walk 6-11 miles every night on my shift.  Mon, Wed, and Fri are cardio, Tue, Thur, Sat are weights.  Mon, Tue are moderate at 75-85% of peak; Wed, Thur are light at 60-70% of peak; and Fri, Sat are the all out see if I can do more than last time days.  Last Friday I made 3 miles in 23 min, 50 seconds doing wind sprints; one minute sprint with a one minute jog to slow the heart back down.  By the time I had finished the 30 min cycle for that part of my morning routine I had covered 3.7 miles. 

7) Part of this is possible because I can't sleep when the sun is up and we have been working from 4:30PM to 3:00 AM,  that put me on the road and gone from 2:30PM to about 5:00 AM.  Get up about 9-10, if not earlier. 

8) Part of the self evaluation has been to be calm.  Breathe, relax, get back to listening more to Classical music instead of Glen, Rush, Hannity, etc. 

9) Should have another article about to be printed in IT with two more in the works.  One about done except for some pics. 

So, I have had to prioritize my time.  But, one thing has stood out, I am a teacher.  I don't know everything.  That is not a requirement.  I know where to find answers.  I need to watch my personal stress levels and just present the facts regardless of what others may say or think.  I have missed my time here but think it was a worthwhile break.  If anything, I will be back because of those who seem to be my biggest critics.  If they think I am going to let this site go down to the depths of the mire with lack of proper information they are wrong.  I know Al, John, Lawrence, Henry, Martin, Allan, and so many more are fully capable people.  But, there is wisdom in a multitude of counselors.  Added perspective can help clarify an issue.  I hope I can offer a worthy perspective. 

Kent, Glyn, Stan, electrode, and others, thanks for your friendship here as well.  We have not and will not always agree.  Neither do Al and I.  But, we can be friends, co-labourers in the battle to help others with truth.  This goes for you too JT.  You and I have our moments but when I asked for some help with an electrode cracking issue a while back, you offered good sound advice from your experience and no negative comments.  I know you are knowledgeable.  Let's work together.

I still don't think AWS is about the money.  And I have never "crucified" anyone.  And I sure have not made a personal attack and called anyone, even in the middle of a disagreement here, an "idiot".  I have only brought out the FACTS about what one gets from money spent when taking seminars, exams and other opportunities.

I feel the current issue is about coaxing more money out of advertisers by offering them something added for their bucks in order to assist with scholarships.  BUT, if it were about pure scholarships and truly about the students, they wouldn't need to offer more.  The tax break given and other advertising in enough.  And the little bit of added exposure on this forum is of absolutely no significance.  To low of volume with the wrong type of clientele to best utilize advertising dollars.  If I were spending money for anything and this was offered as a benefit, I would have to laugh in their face.  Poorly spent money if that is the reason and purpose.  

Well, I better get going.  Al, I'll call.  I did get your message.  With the time diff and all the activities, well... no excuse.  Thanks for checking on me.  You to Henry.  Oh, Kent, hope you are doing okay.  Sounds like you are facing some issues?  Praying for you. 

Have a Great Day,  Remember, He Is In Control,  Brent
Parent - By electrode (***) Date 05-24-2014 16:04
Hats off to you, Sir!
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-24-2014 17:15
Hello Brent, good to hear of your current situation, you have amazing fortitude to take on and flourish in all of your current endeavors. Those who are your pupils are indeed fortunate. The best to you and your family, Regards, Allan
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-24-2014 18:13
Still holding everything together with EB Green (Al knows what that stuff is.:wink:) my friend!

Well it's about time Brent! I for one am glad you even have the time to check in with all the things you got going on currently in your life... It sure does read that you have been someone who has been and will continue to focus on multitasking and despite the ever increasing stress (It's killer Bud!), you're achieving your goals...

And I admire your method of channeling the negative situations by turning them into positive achievements, and you're a teacher by golly!:surprised::smile::grin::lol::cool:

In other words, I'm glad to see you back and I hope that you continue to keep coming back because this place isn't the same without you Brent!:cool:
Oh and you won't get any critiquing from me regarding your post... So there you have it friend... Glad to have you back pal!:grin::smile::lol::roll::twisted::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-24-2014 21:13
Glade to hear from you Brent sounds like you have had your hands full.

M.G.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 05-25-2014 00:36 Edited 05-25-2014 00:45
Brent,
good your doing well:grin:
got new meds and seem to be calmer the past couple days
thank you for your prayers:smile:
the wilshire grand?:eek::wink:done a job or two in that area on grand:wink::eek::cool:
to coin a baseball phrase you made the major leagues
hope you get more than a cup of coffee
but see a hall of famer in you:grin:
from our family to your family thank you and best wishes
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-25-2014 13:01
Hey Brent good to see you! Sounds like you are a very busy man these days, be careful and don't get burned out...you are only human.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-25-2014 22:38
And that list did not include any of the work we have been doing to the house;  LOL.  Ever strip a log home and re-seal it?  Remove all the junk wood on the gable ends and replace them with good 5/8" T1-11 siding?  Then we hired the roof re-done, gutters installed, and insulation upgraded.  We have been replacing decks, trim, doors, and more.  General maintenance to electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.  Driveway and landscaping changes.  Kennels redone for two new dogs; my wife got an Akita and got me a new Rotti. 

So, just busy trying to keep up with both work and home.  Somehow, just not enough hours in the day.  But, if the good Lord gave me more hours, I would just fill them up too. 

Thanks for the replies and concerns guys.  Mostly, just had to take some personal time for self examination.  Still trying to figure out how I fit in here.  I said I know I am a teacher.  I have always enjoyed sharing with others and helping them.  That would be part of why I enjoy my time here, even with certain attack artists.  Anyway, I'll just have to decide what questions I want to contribute to. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-26-2014 04:58
glad to see you back!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-26-2014 17:44
Brent,

I love you Man !
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-26-2014 19:51
Brent, Just to let you know, any time you see fit to use on this forum is time well spent! We have missed your input here! I'm not sure why you stopped but am really glad you have started again!  I really see you as a friend and appreciate your input and knowledge in to this site!

Regards
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-09-2014 12:34
The money earned from the advertiser is clearly worth more to AWS than our participation.

My E-mail address is listed in my profile and below. I can continue my protest and help my friends solve their problems via E-mail. Not that I can help solve every problem, but I help where I can.

Knowing Bent as I do, I'm sure he is of a similar mindset.

I hope I'm not out of line Brent, but I haven't heard from you either. I hope the reason we haven't heard from you isn't due to a problem on your end.

Best regards - Al

amoore999@comcast.net
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 04-11-2014 09:24
I think Brent is busy with NDT school.
- - By cddolan74 (**) Date 04-11-2014 12:31
understand the protest, But definetly missing out on professional advice.  what about organizing a petition against AWS instead of hurting the members your trying to help
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 05-05-2014 17:36
Refer to my post about aws being about money.
I was crucified by both of these idiots that are claimed to be missing because of ads.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-05-2014 17:52
I'm sorry but who are you addressing your suggestion to cddolan74?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 05-06-2014 01:53
Brent and Al are knowledgeable to a fault and their beef is valid to a point, but it is also true that the world will be welded by young morloks without them so a safe and equitable solution would be OK with me.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 05-26-2014 01:41
I been gone a while now just notice the little yellow sign up there.
- By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-31-2014 22:25
Just thought a few might be interested in part of my day.  This is my quiet time place.  LOL!!
Attachment: DSCF5386-Copy.JPG - Brent's weight room (108k)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Where is Brent???