Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding lifting eye bolts
- - By BIGBOB (*) Date 04-16-2014 14:33
I have a customer that is looking to weld eye bolts to the top of some pipe plugs. What is the best material to get for the eye bolts and plugs? Are eye bolts weldable?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-16-2014 14:51
Is it feasible to drill and tap the pipe plug so that you could screw the eye bolts into the pipe plug vs welding?
Parent - - By BIGBOB (*) Date 04-16-2014 15:19
I have that question in front of them now. I even suggested doing a restrained connection with tie-wire to keep it from backing out.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-16-2014 22:39 Edited 04-16-2014 22:52
I guess it depends on what they are lifting, how much they are lifting. We did it when I worked at the Cat dealer. Get some eyebolts and cut the thread off and weld them to some pipe plugs or other odd things in order to pick up some of the light duty stuff that Caterpillar builds. Oddly enough none of us were anything near professional welders at the time and luckily nothing ever broke! Doing it for somebody to use then you are lucky enough to be responsible! I suppose the other thing is rating them, just things that popped into my head. As far as what we did, was it right? Were the eyebolts weldable? Don't know, we did it though and supervisors didn't care, we got the job done just never got underneath anything on our overhead cranes when we were using the homemade eyebolts.

All of the eyebolts we used we bought in house at the Caterpillar dealer. They kept them in stock so we would expense them out. They were all rated for the size of the threaded end, i.e., 3/8, 1/2 etc. I think they have them in the catalog at the parts department. Not sure if there is a Cat dealer near you that you could check though. The newer ones we got had a wider base on them. These worked good for welding on pipe plugs, different length bolts because of the wider base of the eyebolt.

Shawn
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 04-17-2014 13:08
Instead of Bolts. I am SURE you would be better off to cut Lifting Lugs from a High Grade Plate and Then weld them as needed. It sure would reduce any future liability WHEN (not if) one breaks, Our Engineer requires ALL Lifting Lugs to be made from AR Plate and Welded with 12018.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-17-2014 13:51
Keep in mind that AR grades of steel are not generally recommended for load bearing applications.
Also, once you step up to the 360/400 range these materials are quenched and tempered which require controlled weld procedures or you will lose strength in the HAZ.
Parent - - By BIGBOB (*) Date 04-17-2014 15:26
I have convinced the customer to screw the lift eyes in and then weld just to constrain. We are going to load test the  parts after welding. I think this is a good solution. I have seen eyebolts welded before but cannot find any good information about what the materials weldability is. Usually a high nickel rod or maybe even 7018 low hyd.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 04-17-2014 16:48 Edited 04-17-2014 16:58
I still would not weld it on the shoulder of the lifting eye with out proper authorization as in an approved procedure. Drill through, tap and then tack or weld the bottom of the screw eye to the threads in the hole for restraint.
"Magic Wire" maybe? 309 has a fairly high nickel content. Great for all kinds of creative fixes. AR plate, cast iron engine blocks, even makes a rather tasty dessert topping.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-18-2014 02:40
I disagree
it goes great over chicken:eek:smile:
NOT on dessert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:wink::twisted::evil:
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-18-2014 04:01
First problem is determine lift load:   for what you are doing you could just get some cast steel lifting lugs like commonly used in the tank and boiler industry and weld on with more then likely plain jane 7018 rod and be more then covered.   Very cheap and easily available ones are rated from 40-60ksi, about three to four inches of 1/4 inch fillet with 70s wire weld per side and its all good.  PROVIDED that lifting lug is from a supplier that is rated and your weld deposit is sound per D1.1.  Good luck.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-19-2014 17:41
"even makes a rather tasty dessert topping"

LMAO!! Where do you come up with this stuff!!! :lol::lol:

One day I'd like to hang out with you, must be non stop laughs!!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-20-2014 02:40 Edited 04-20-2014 02:45
I have a feeling that you me and superflux will be enjoying a Guinness someday around the kansas city area.  Screw it I will just by the tickets when denver is in KS and we can work around that.  Or even a denver game sense that is even more fair to John.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-30-2014 19:41
I personally would not like to be around lifting lugs made of AR plate. Engineered or otherwise. 

Gerald
Parent - By bert47 Date 04-30-2014 18:46
McMaster Carr, mcmaster.com, has forged steel, weld-on eyes of various capacities. They're not cheap, but are rated for lifting. We use them with good results.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 05-02-2014 16:27
Lifting eyes:

There is more to designing a lifting eye than simply considering the dead load in the suspended position.

The load must be determined while lifting the load to its final position. Due consideration must be given dynamic loads is the member is lifted in such a manner that it swings to and fro during the lifting operation.

Next, as is always the case, we need to know what we are welding and what electrode is appropriate to provide a chemical, metallurgical, and mechanical match to the base metal. It does no good to over match the electrode to the base metal. In other words using a high strength filler metal when the base metal is "weaker." The stronger weld may easily overload the base metal and simply tear out of the base metal.

There are times when ignorance is bliss, what we don't know might kill us, but 9 out of 10 times we survive. Those are pretty good odds as long as there is a good distance between the item being lifted and the people using it.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding lifting eye bolts