Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Playing with the green pipe again!
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-16-2014 23:27
Well, fresh off my Midwest Misery Tour jumped right back into my other exciting job of welding on hot taps, service connections and other fun stuff. Seems I need to have that little bit of danger in my life!!

First pictures are from a new asphalt plant going in near me. I ran 400 feet of 4" last fall across the yard to the location where they wanted to set the regulator. Then out by the road we had to cut the 6" feed line off the mainline at the road to make some adjustments. These pictures are of the new plant being built and where we had to put the riser up with the ball valve. I think they will have be back out there once they get the equipment set and know where they need to the ell and flange situated.

The next picture is the hot tap we participated in about a week and a half ago. They had no way to shut this station down and the valves were sticking pretty bad, very hard to turn off so they called me out to weld on the hot tap fittings. When the guy came out to tap the lines he killed the feed and I welded in the ball valves. I've been building a new station for them but waiting on this large outfit to put the valve sets together. Once they get them done I'll finish off the station then we'll go out and cut the gas and remove the old station and weld in and assemble the new one.

Last pictures, one of my town gas utility departments said, "you want to build this station?" Of course I do!! I like doing these, not overly complicated but building them off jacks and not in a shop on a jig table is interesting and fun. When you get them all put together and they look darn good and you know it's out on the road for all to see your work. Got the bypass in before leaving out today. Tomorrow going out to weld what we tacked up today and install a dozen or so weld-o-lets. Then we'll head out to the site and set the station, test it and get the hot tapper out to do his thing.

Got to love it!
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-17-2014 01:36
Shawn
great work, and great job
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-17-2014 12:17
Nice work...

That old grey Lincoln makes me happy :)

Is that grinder missing a guard ?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-17-2014 12:30
We had several of those old grey machines at my previous employer. They just keep on running, only maintenance issues I can ever remember with them were having to replace the fan motors from time to time. Mostly due to the harsh environment they were used in.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-18-2014 05:26
Yep Lawrence, it's missing a guard and so are the other three I have on the truck, haha! Since I'm the owner I can do this. I have some guards on the truck just in case in end up working in an area where I am a subcontractor so they don't get a ticket from OSHA. I should show you the picture of my "grinding mask", paintball anyone???? :lol::lol:
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-18-2014 05:37
this is why I love this forum
you people are the best friends I could ever have
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-19-2014 04:01
All those short runs, reducers, flanges and such are a good time. I miss those projects.
Parent - - By Smooth Operator (***) Date 04-19-2014 00:09
Shawn, Nice work there......Glad to see you back at it for yourself......For some of us it's just better that way!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-19-2014 17:36
"For some of us it's just better that way"

That's the truth. I got back and was home a week and was offered a job doing their welding and when there was no welding work I would do normal everyday gas work kind of stuff. It was a decent paying job, mid 30's so nothing special, full bennies, paid 40, work 37.5. Really like the guy and told him that I appreciated the offer and was tempting due to the security of it but, "I just don't think I make a good employee." He laughed and said, "well, think it over".
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-20-2014 03:04
LOL.....it is a profitable little meter set/station.   Enjoy it whilst you got it.  Dammit shawn that irish luck!!!!Now let em know you can do those for 15k in stead of the 20k they are paying now.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-20-2014 13:13 Edited 04-20-2014 13:33
That's what I'm working on actually. I am going to get with the boss and find out what it cost for the meter and valves that way I can put a price on it. I know what one this size goes for around here from the very few places that build them. Actually only two that I know of and one is 8 weeks or more behind, good for them and due to people having projects that they don't want to wait 2 or more months to get started on, might be good for me....

Here you go Tommy!

Wishing you a rainbow
For sunlight after showers—
Miles and miles of Irish smiles
For golden happy hours—
Shamrocks at your doorway
For luck and laughter too,
And a host of friends that never ends
Each day your whole life through!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Playing with the green pipe again!