Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Thin disc, power brush, they can both be scary
- - By aevald (*****) Date 04-22-2014 14:43 Edited 04-24-2014 14:52
Hello folks, I know that many of you use thin discs on your grinders and knotted brushes too for any number of applications. If you're like me, I always get nervous when I get them into a tight spot and end up with that dreaded "kick-back" or other sort of binding catch that wants to send the disc or brush to places that I don't want it to go. For the longest time I would just simply grab onto the body of the grinder and hope my grip was enough or else I would orient the handle so that I could get a "somewhat controlled" grip on it. Although most of the time where I could grip the handle and still be able to see or feel that my wrist wasn't in the line of fire from the disc or brush was still questionable. Well the other day I took a bit of time to come up with something that appears to help with some of this. I have included a number of pictures of the "mod." I hope these make sense. Best regards, Allan

Edit: I have attached another rendition of one of the photos to explain a bit about how this works for use of the grinder when it has a thin disc cut-off wheel mounted on it, or a thin grinding disc for pipe groove grinding applications, or when you might have a wire wheel mounted on it for those pipe groove cleaning applications, especially 5G's. I do believe that this handle location allows for much better grinder control and less possibility of injury when a grinder is used in this manner. However, as Lawrence reminded me, this is a personal use choice and I would not allow my students to use this in our shop.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 04-23-2014 01:53
Interesting idea.  I took 9 stitches on the top of my left hand because a thin bladed, peanut grinder, kicked back on me.  I would definitely use something like that if I was still tooled up.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-23-2014 13:36
They make perfect sense..

However, if somebody still gets hurt and OSHA sees that *YOU* modified the safety guards, it will be your arse in the courtroom....

I wish Metabo would hire you as a designer to solve the problem :)
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-23-2014 14:32
Hello Lawrence, I certainly understand where you are coming from and this is "NOT" for my students use, personal only. It is often unfortunate that lawyers appear to be running the world, at least in the states. Yet, I also know that there are many things that are safer these days as a result of this situation too. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-24-2014 11:23
Nice handle Allan, my only request would be to also make it work 90° to that position as well, for those times when you need to grind flush to comply with the drawing. Looks like it has enough length to give a user some real leverage over that grinder. Good job.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-24-2014 14:44
Hello John, believe it or not, this will work 90 from this position if I remove one of the mounting bolts and screw in a regular handle. Didn't have a handle for this grinder to begin with so it doesn't have it on there. Although, if I was going to improve on this design some more, I would make the handle that is shown removable and able to mount 180 from it's position as well for those lefties out there. Thanks and best regards, Allan
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-24-2014 19:11
Can you drill and tap your adapter similar to what the factory did?...or maybe weld a nut onto the outside of the adapter. That way you could unscrew the handle and put it in whatever orientation you needed for the job at hand.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 04-23-2014 15:51
Hello aevald;
That sure looks like it would help to keep a good hand hold on the grinder. When those suckers bind up without a handle, you either have a good grip or its on the floor at best. I had a four inch by 1/4" bind up and come to pieces on me. It hit me in the leg so hard I thought it was broke. Maybe you could submit it for a patent of some kind and sell it to the grinder manufacturer.

Have a good day;
Matt
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-05-2014 19:06
Great idea Allen!

I wonder if you could have a 2 piece design whereby the handle can be adjusted so as to be capable of reversing the position & orientation of it to where ever you desire with some sort of locking mechanism @ both the elbow and where the handle's end is closest to the shaft in order to change the orientation of the entire handle as well...

Hmmmmm..... Reads like a revision to me.:grin::smile::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 05-05-2014 19:47
Thanks Henry, I agree.........PROTOTYPE. Seriously though Henry, we all have those particular challenges/needs and when one has the chance, experimentation(within reason) often leads to a better mouse trap so to speak. Hope your health is well. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 05-06-2014 08:47 Edited 05-06-2014 08:49
I apologize for misspelling your first name Allan... And I wholeheartedly agree because after all, this country thrives with innovators throughout it's relatively short history... 
And will continue to do so despite the challenges we are currently facing regarding our lack of native graduating Engineers & Scientists from our education system overall...

That problem will change eventually with the relatively new policies that are promoting and emphasizing math & science learning  starting with the elementary and secondary levels... The beauty about the USA is that one can become an inventor, entrepreneur and innovator in science and technology irrespective of their own level of education... More so and without so many restrictions than any other country... Once again Allan, a truly excellent idea/prototype you got there...

My health today is relatively stable so, I'm getting used to where I'm at these days which is way much better than where I was health wise last year by accepting, and being grateful that I'm still alive and living as opposed to just existing... Although, some days can be tougher than others to cope with the limitations I currently have... But I'm starting to see a very faint light at the far end of the present tunnel I'm in... And everyday it seems to get brighter despite the constant pain from my diabetic neuropathy as well as my current breathing restrictions that severely limit my ability to travel because of the higher than average amount of oxygen (6 lpm or liters per minute) I require 24/7 and continuously as opposed to pulse delivery...

I have been going through a pulmonary physical rehabilitation program at a nearby hospital and hyperbaric oxygen therapy treatments 3 times a week also which is one of the reasons why I'm being so cautiously optimistic as I look towards the future so I wouldn't count me out just yet.:eek::grin::smile::lol::wink::cool:
Btw, I will be praying for your recovery Robert.:wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 05-06-2014 14:38
Schucks Henry, there are a number of ways that my name is spelled, I never get too worked up about a small detail like that. You just keep fighting the good fight and enjoying your life. I "always" enjoy the information that you post up, brain sometimes turns to mush trying to read and digest all of it, but great stuff non the less. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 05-10-2014 03:32
Keep the fight up Henry! I need some one to bounce off now and again!
- - By qcrobert (***) Date 04-28-2014 19:47
Allen, I do like your modified handle for a firmer grip but still prefer a dual safety clutch to prevent pinching/binding when using a knotted wire wheel or cut off wheel.  Metabo and Dewalt have this safety feature.

QCRobert
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-28-2014 22:57
Hello Robert, I have used the Metabo unit and I do appreciate it's feature when things bind up. Not everyone has climbed onto that bandwagon yet though, so I figure I'll do what I can to keep me personally a little safer. I hope that you are recovering nicely from those medical challenges, you need to stick around for your family and yourself. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-05-2014 00:59
Nice!

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Thin disc, power brush, they can both be scary