Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / miter-saw
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 04-23-2014 14:36
Has anybody ever used a miter-saw to cut aluminum tubing and angle and do anyone think it is dangerous as I do.To me that saw is for cutting wood not  aluminum every time I pull the saw down my ahole draws up.

M.G.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 04-23-2014 21:38 Edited 04-24-2014 08:07
Milt
have one just for aluminum
used for years
it is a skil saw, so I trust it
just wish they were all metal
not plastic casing
would have 4, 1 for wood, 1 for cs, 1 for ss, and one for Aluminum
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - - By Darrell_B (*) Date 04-23-2014 21:42
I was lucky enough to have a cold saw style miter saw. The blades were not abrasive and it was very stable.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 04-23-2014 23:21
Carbide tips on metal at high speed always has me wearing full riot gear. Glasses plus full face shield plus heavy gloves and of course the non-skid flip flops
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 04-24-2014 00:36
Amen and draw up in a knot wondering if this part has your name on it.

M.G.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 04-24-2014 20:39
I use a Skil brand for aluminum when needed, same one for wood as needed. Only thing about them that I hate is the same thing I hate about sawzalls. They beat the heck out of you. Used the miter saw the other day tinkering about the shop and it hung up a few times and beat me like a rented mule. Stop, take a breath, "don't throw it across the field Shawn, don't throw it across the field". It survived the work, was called every name under the sun and was stashed in that "I'll forget I even have it place" right next to the two sawzall's I think I own.
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 04-24-2014 23:38
May I suggest installing the blade backward? Worked for me on a radial arm saw for 2" tube and 2" square tube. Just a trick I learned several year ago while doing aluminum siding jobs for a contractor.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 04-25-2014 00:01
We  took the dewalt saw apart the other day and cut an 8"piece of aluminum on one side and turn the aluminum plate over and cut the other side then took a big rubber hammer and finally got it apart. We tried to cut it with a circular saw but that didn't go over to good. They say live and learn at my age I just want to live.

M.G.
Parent - By Darrell_B (*) Date 04-25-2014 21:37
could be why it wasn't at high speed. It worked very well, and I never feared for my appendages!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / miter-saw