- - By WeldingChat.com (**) Date 04-24-2014 12:49
Welding Instructor
Kern Community College District, California
http://www.weldingjobs.com/welder217.html

Welding Instructor
Laurus Technical Insitute, Atlanta, Georgia
http://www.weldingjobs.com/welder218.html
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-27-2014 18:11
Interesting that a bachelor's degree in ANYTHING along with 2 years of experience is sufficient to teach welding. I have students that meet those qualifications. And though they may be done welders I would question their ability to teach after just 2 years of welding.

Not giving anyone a hard time but I have seen quite a few of these ads.  Kinda scary.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-27-2014 19:31
Hello Gerald, unfortunately most of the ones that are in "charge" of finding instructors for their programs are likely not the folks who have any sort of real world trade experience or understanding of this side of the fence.

I don't believe that the majority of them have a true appreciation for what years of experience brings to a welding training program or any other sort of hands-on trade/craft. A number of years ago our school started a pulp and paper program, they were looking for someone to teach it, they listed x,y, and z requirements. They were also offering 30 to 40k as the starting salary or something pretty close to that. Most all of the instructors in the various programs at our school just shook our heads as most of the "qualified" folks who qualified were likely currently making 100k+. The program made it through the grant-funded portion of it and then folded.

I could go on and on with examples and opinions but I would be singing to the choir here. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-28-2014 07:06 Edited 04-28-2014 07:13
Excellent observation Gerald! And your opinion is identical to my own regarding these types of job postings...:yell::twisted::roll::grin::lol::wink::cool:
Amen to that Allan!:sad: Then they wonder why there's so much of a turnover rate with welding instructors... Clueless anybody?:roll::sad::eek::twisted:

Btw, I was accepted to teach @ Laurus a few years ago just as they were about to start their welding program from the ground up but unfortunately for both of us, I fell gravely ill and had to pass up that opportunity...:sad: And they were going to start me @ a considerably higher salary than what is listed currently as the average these days..:roll::surprised::smile::grin::lol::wink::cool:

Imagine if it were just the opposite?:surprised::eek::twisted::grin::smile::lol::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-30-2014 18:13
I taught my last class last night and the replacement instructor came by to check things out.  This guy did not have a degree and had plenty of talk about experience.  Said he was gonna have to brush up because he hasn't strick an arc in like 9 years.

Whole thing kinda bummed me out.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding Instructors