Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / api repair procedure
- - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-01-2014 18:56
company had a welder qualify PQR for 1104 12'' .375 WALL  6 g   SINGLE QUALIFICATION  NO BRANCH TEST
Rest of the welders tested to wps written from PQR.

does the company have to Qualify a repair procedure in order for a welder certified as described above to do an xray repair
I interpet it that the company does not have to requalify a procedure simply write  another wps for weld repair based on the
original PQR outlineing repair parameters  and another welding test is not required by anyone   is this correct
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-01-2014 19:51
Can't they use the WPS for a welding repair.
M.G.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-01-2014 19:58
API 1104 Section 10.3 is pretty clear.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-01-2014 20:23
You need to take a look at all of section 10 and make a decision on your on.

M.G.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 05-01-2014 20:57
A repair procedure is just that, "a Repair Procedure".  A repair procedure is something designed and written by and engineer.  The repair procedure will address the root cause of the problem and dictate how the repair should be applied.  I'm pretty sure if you look at any welding code, it will say that a repair procedure has to be engineer approved.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-01-2014 21:10
No. Not many of them do.
And that isn't the repair procedure intended by API 1104.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-01-2014 21:57
Can you show me that in API1104?

JT
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 05-01-2014 23:14
Ah,I'm 12 hours into a 14 hour shift and I worded my post incorrectly.  I should of said 'most real welding codes', LOL.  Let the flames begin.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-02-2014 12:31
Not to beat up on it too much but I can't think of a single Code that requires engineer approval for a repair procedure.
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 05-02-2014 17:11
Well, at the moment I'm involved with D1.4/2005.  If you have it available, go to 4-4.4.9, Repairs.  Summary - Repairs to welds ~ shall be made in accordance with a qualified WPS approved by the ENGINEER applicable to these processes.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-02-2014 17:29
However, if I read your quote correctly they are not talking about the 'repair' procedure, but the WPS. This is common.
Parent - By 99205 (***) Date 05-02-2014 17:42
Ok
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 05-02-2014 13:23
What Edition of API 1104 are you working to? This will determine the applicable criteria. Also, are you refering to a single repair (initial repair) or multiple repairs (refered to in latest edition as double repair, tripple repair, multiple thermal cycles ect..)?
Parent - - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-02-2014 18:33
ap1 1104 2013  customer allows onl.y one repair attempt without eor approval
single repair
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-02-2014 18:37
Getting back to the original question, under API 1104 you not only have to qualify a 'repair' procedure, you have to qualify the welders that perform to the procedure.
The repair procedure has its own set of essential variables.
Under AWS or ASME you do not.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 05-02-2014 19:52
If the company is requiring API 1104 21st Edition (which appears to be the case since you referenced 2013), the orginal WPS used in construction is appropriate for the 'single repair' - see below - unless item c) is relevant. In which case welders are not required to be qualified to any repair procedures specifically - unless item c) is relevant again. Essential variables from section 6 apply. The rest of section 10 addresses multiple repair attempts.

10.2.3 Repairs of Defects Other Than Cracks
Defects other than cracks in the root, filler, and finish beads may be repaired with prior company authorization. A
qualified repair procedure shall be required whenever a repair is made by welding when:
a) using a welding process, combination of welding processes, or method of application or filler metals different from
that used to make the original weld; or
b) repairs are made in a previously welded repaired area; or
c) required by the company.

10.4 Repair Welder Qualification
10.4.1 General
The repair weld shall be made by a qualified welder experienced in methods used for repair of a defective weld. The
welder shall be qualified according to the requirements of 6.2 or 6.3 in addition to the requirements of this section.
When a repair procedure is required by 10.2, a welder shall be qualified using the applicable qualified repair
procedure.
Parent - - By WELDICCAWSCWI (**) Date 05-03-2014 21:49
ive worked on numerous pipelines as a welder and inspector  cant remember ever taking  or witnessing a special
weld test for repairs.thats why I think just a wps is necessary we have a new inspector on job who wants to call
every repair a cutout unless we qualify a procedure  for every type of repair . thank you all for the help
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-06-2014 13:47
API 1104 is a Standard not a Code.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-07-2014 12:32
For AWS documents, I think all Codes are standards, but not all Standards are codes (Standard defined as having the ANSI logo/wording/statement)

ASME seems to put the word Standard on their Code, but sometimes it is the ANSI wording on the cover, and sometimes it is just in the title, (looks like it is always in the title sheet, the page with all the copyright info)

API does not seem to put the word Code anywhere on their Standard
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 05-07-2014 13:19
Fred,
From a terminological standpoint that may be true. But the ultimate point is with API 1104 the owner has the authority to take exception to the requirements. In ASME you cannot. If you put a stamp on it you are stating you have complied with ALL requirements of the Code.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 05-07-2014 13:37
I know in section VIII Div. 1 they tell you that you can't override the mandatory must and must nots, but I dont see that strong language in 31.3 or 31.12.  Must be the difference between BPVC and the piping guys
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-07-2014 13:46
Fred,
No, the language is not as strong in the pressure piping codes as BPVC. But, except for a few explicitly stated locations it is still all or nothing.
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 05-07-2014 13:42
True. Unless other things such as contract specifications or regulation which tie you into certain sections are applicable. In such instances, deviation from API standards would be a hard sell. Which I know you are well aware.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 05-07-2014 13:45
jarsanb,
Oh yeah. It s hard sell. Nobody wants to stick their neck out and take exception. But the option is there.
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-08-2014 22:48
I've seen repair procedures for several years now. With accompanying repair tests.

But, that's on X70+ pipe grades where they make repairs with LoHi on line pipe welded in production with an 8010 (repairs usually made with a form of 8018 or 9018). Those tests are usually a full pen repair on an existing weld, from 4o'clock on one side to 4 o'clock on the other side so the repair welders have to grind a bevel and cut thru a land with some amount of accuracy, then make an RT weld out on it with the pipe fixed. I consider that a very, to me, "real world" repair test.

That probably doesn't apply to your situation, but a green inspector (and there are a lot of them right now in mainline construction world due to the large amount of ongoing work) who only has been on that type of job and may not have any personal experience with <X60 grade pipe being repaired with cellulosics according to (or a slightly modified form) the original WPS like it's been done for decades.

I feel your pain with the "every repair is a cut out" form of inspection. With cut outs running WAY north of 10k each, and run of the mill solid RT repairs running maybe around $100-$300 each, it's a hard battle to fight but well worth it. The Prime contractor and the owner are your friends in that battle.

JT
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-08-2014 23:00
Some gas companies even use(d) a split sleeve test for repair welders, I've took that one several times and never made a LoHi sleeve weld for the duration. OK, go figure. Maybe they are just trying to weed out.
The bottom line is that RT tells the tale on your repair welders. Good RT = good repair welders, not good RT, better make a change.
Repairs with the production consumables/preheat are very easy to judge. There's an Xray truck right there for crying out loud. And probably an NDT auditor driving up everybody's butt as well looking at film.

JT
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / api repair procedure