Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / co-op student at placemenmt .... need some guidance
- - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 05-09-2014 17:51
I'm at my first job in the welding industry after finishing my first year at northern college. The company I am working for asked me to do SMAW prequalified packages for a couple of companies and I don't really know what needs to be on the WPDS before I send them out.... I don't know what the company will fill out or what I should fill out. Example the one company said they need WPDS for positions flat, horizontal, vertical up, Overhead. for e7018 and e11018 electrodes ... all thicknesses are 1/8" and up....... where do I begin.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 05-09-2014 18:03
We usually call it a WPS.  WPDS is not a term I'm familiar with.  I don't mean to be blunt but it comes natural to me, so here goes. . . . the company QA/QC Department should be handling this and if they don't have one then they need to consider getting one ASAP.  I'm not sure what you spent a year in college doing and I'm not trying to offend anyone here, but typically these things are done by someone who has more experience. 

That being said where you begin is getting familiar with the code of construction which I am assuming in this case is D1.1.  And find people to ask questions that know.  This forum is a great place to start.  Track your experience, once you have enough then look at getting some certification to back up the knowledge.  Most people are pretty helpful and it's a great career.  Welcome to the forum.  Dutch :cool:
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-09-2014 18:06 Edited 05-09-2014 18:10
Welcome to the forum.

Questions:

What is your position/role?

The term WPDS is used by the Canadian Welding Burearu so I'm going to assume you are trying to comply with them.  Correct if wrong.

Take a look here and refine your questions if this doesn't help....

http://eng.cwbgroup.org/Certification/Documents/WeldingProcedurePreparation.pdf

Edit:
Note:  CSA W59-03 was superseeded last year to W59-13 and there are substantial revisions to be aware of that the above link does not speak to.

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-09-2014 18:25
That link in Lawrence's post should clear up your questions, it covered each portion of the form in detail.
Once you dig your heels in and get started you may run into some things that you will have further questions about. Post em' up and we'll take a shot at answering them. Lots of cumulative years of inspection and welding procedure experience in the forum here.
Parent - - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 05-13-2014 18:40
NEW ISSUE.....  I now know what the companies need but I don't know where to find some of the info I'm looking for where to find the volt amps and wire feed speed based on material thickness for prequalified processes. I didn't find it in CSA W59. so I'm wondering if its possibly in a different standard.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-13-2014 18:55
Go to your filler metal manufacturer's website and look for the data sheets for the particular filler material that your customer is using. many welding codes want your parameters to be within the manufacturer's recommendations shown on their data sheets to remain "pre-qualified".
Parent - - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 05-13-2014 19:16
thanks yeah I actually found what I'm looking for in the Lincoln electric hand book
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-13-2014 22:42
CSA W59-13  ( Annex N ) also has some GMAW data and some graphics that are supposed to help with determining transitions between transfer modes......

Put on your thinking cap before taking on Fig N-3
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 05-14-2014 11:24
Are they going to be check by an outside source if so they might be able to give you some in put.

M.G.
Parent - - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 05-14-2014 21:03
it is going to be checked by the companies engineer first and then again by CWB so I will get feed back, for sure.
Parent - - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 05-15-2014 19:47
Now looking for good site to find MCAW data. I couldn't find anything on Lincoln electric or other sites I looked at.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 05-16-2014 10:23
I'm suprised that, as a first year co-op student, you aren't provided with a mentor to guide you on writing WPS'. 
Kirkland Lake student?
Tyrone
Parent - - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 05-22-2014 13:57
YES KL STUDENT. I have written WPDS before, but yes I was kind of expecting there would be someone in my office who knew something about this, but unfortunately there is not.
Parent - - By Tyrone (***) Date 05-23-2014 10:36
Hey Goldy,
There are lots of KL grads here where I work (me included).

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.  Sounds like you are handling the lack of guidance admirably. 
Keep on reading, learning and asking questions.  This forum contains a wealth of information.  Hint...use the search feature.

If you are the only one doing WPS', what are they going to do when you go back to school for second year? 

Tyrone
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 05-23-2014 11:22

>Out of the frying pan, into the fire.  Sounds like you are handling the lack of guidance admirably. 
>Keep on reading, learning and asking questions.

I agree with Tyrone, great job jumping in and trying to gather the info any way that you can so that you turn out the best work possible with what you know.
When I first became a CWI, I was thrust into a QC mgr. position way before I was ready because the guy who was to mentor me along and give me some guidance went on to be with the Lord before he had a chance to share any of that knowledge. I relied heavily on the members here in the forum and was appreciative of the answers to my many questions. I'm sure my questions seemed silly to some, but they took the time to help me along anyway.
Parent - - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 05-23-2014 13:36
Well I have to say I'm glad to be here and that you guys are a wealth of info. Also I will keep looking thanks for the support and advice.
Parent - - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 05-26-2014 21:05
one more question about the WPDS, can I have more than one welding position labelled in a single data sheet, for example in stead of just FLAT as the position, put in F/H , IF THE JOINT IS QUALIFIED FOR BOTH POSITIONS?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 05-26-2014 21:19
You said:

"If the joint is qualified for both positions"

Yes... Assuming you can keep within the essential variables for both PQR's.

Both PQR's must be listed on the WPDS
Parent - By goldybowen21 (**) Date 05-26-2014 21:25
okay perfect thanks!
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / co-op student at placemenmt .... need some guidance