Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / MT Training
- - By 68Stank (*) Date 05-14-2014 14:58
I am a self-employed CWI but I can only offer VT to my customers. However, I would like to widen my scope by becoming a level II and ultimately a level III MT tech. What I am having trouble with is figuring out how to achieve the level I status being self employed. I don't work for a company who has a level III who can train me, I don't have the equipment, and I am not sure how to go about getting the necessary experience (and documenting this experience) required for the certification. Does anyone have any insight?

Thank you
Parent - - By IowaCWI (*) Date 05-14-2014 16:22
While working for a local company I acquired lvl II in four methods. They did not have a lvl III employed so we ended up taking classes and certification exams with a company based out of St. Louis. While you are working towards hours in the particular method you only have to be supervised by a lvl II. One other thing is that your hours in say "VT" also count towards MT, UT, PT etc. There is also a timeline for those who don't have enough work available to achieve hours in a certain time period. Don't quote me on the timeline but, I believe the hours/time for lvl II UT is 1100hrs/9 months.  It would be less for MT. You might be able to contact a testing lab that offers training services to get the details on current requirements. Hopefully this helps.
- By 803056 (*****) Date 05-15-2014 01:27
I hired a NDE contractor to "witness/perform" NDE as needed once I completed the classroom training from Hellier ( in Connecticut). I performed the NDT and paid the contractor to witness my work. It was expensive, but the required hours (CP-189) were accrued under the direct supervision of a Level II or Level III. All the training, relevant work experience (witnessed/supervised by a Level II or Level III), examinations, etc. are fully documented and meet CP-189. Several years ago I passed several Level III exams under the auspices of ASNT’s ACCP.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / MT Training