Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Coal Mine disaster in Turkey
- - By Superflux (****) Date 05-14-2014 17:15 Edited 05-14-2014 17:44
http://time.com/98560/turkey-coal-mine-explosion/
This disaster is ongoing about 200 miles from me. My sincerest heart felt sympathy goes out to them. God bless those thousands of survivors, friends and family that are directly impacted by this horrific event.
I spent 6 years of my life working the coal mines and those jobs provided for my family. In fact my oldest daughter is a Mining Engineer and we have worked in 2 of the same mines (independent of each other)
We who have been there in the black rock, are all brethren of the "Coal Hole" and I am deeply saddened by this.

I and many of you have all been guilty of whining about OSHA or MSHA regulations and the "Safety Man" being a "@#$%^&". But this is what can happen when big time industrialist like J.P. Morgan, Armand Hammer and Andrew Carnegie get to run the show unbridled. Life is cheap out there in the rest of the World.

Those of us that live in America or other well developed areas of the planet should be very grateful.
Like many of us military brats and "Road Whores", I've played, lived and worked in several corners of planet Earth during my life, stopped in on 2 wars and seen/done things that I'll not divulge in a public format (and a couple things I WILL take to my grave!). It is cruel ugly world out there.
Count your blessings if you come home alive and well after work.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 05-14-2014 17:34
This country does not have a good record for mine safety.
Quoted from Wikipedia:
Several mining disasters have occurred in the Zonguldak mines:
1992: A gas explosion killed 270 workers. This was Turkey’s worst mining disaster.

There is a powerplant across the way from my project. One of the engineers with me said that the construction of those twin 750MW boiler/turbines killed 17 workers.

Oh, for those that ask if this gig I'm on is hiring... One of the welder helpers told me his iPhone 4S cost him ONE MONTH's salary (1800 Turkish Lyra). But the local chicks think he's cool...
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / Coal Mine disaster in Turkey