Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / South African looking for opportunities
- - By MrJuls (*) Date 05-28-2014 09:01
I'm a qualified level 2 welding inspector+ UT 1+ PT 1,CSWIP and have 12 years experience in the field. EPCM projects, and manufacturing, fabrication etc. My wife is American and I will be returning to the US with her next year. The problem is my qualifications are South African. Do I need to do the AWS CWI Course and NDT Courses in order to qualify for employment?

In SA we do two welding inspector courses, level 1 and 2. And the certification is SAQCC ( South African qualification and certification committee).
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-28-2014 13:20
To the best of my knowledge you will have to take the CWI examination in order to obtain the AWS  credential. However, your training is useful, but the terminology is likely to be different. The AWS CWI seminar will prove to be very useful to get you prepared for the examination. I suggest taking the seminar and then take the examination the following month to give you time to become more familiar with the terminology.

Your NDT training is transferable, but not the NDT certifications. Your new employer wil have to administer certification tests to you to  certify you in accordance with their written practice. The NDT qualification standards used by American employers are SNT-TC1A, CP-189, MIL-ST-410, or NAVSEA TP271. Certifications are not transferable from one employer to another.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By mechan (**) Date 05-29-2014 02:56
Aren't ASNT's ACCP NDT certifications "transferable"?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-29-2014 12:56
True, if the employer's written practice incorporates ACCP.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 05-30-2014 01:31
To my understanding, yes.  But I am just getting in to this particular arena at the moment.

Note, the OP did not state that his was through ASNT (though it is noted your comment may have been general and not pointed to directly answer his query).

Note also, even with that cert through ASNT on one's NDT processes, an employer is always wise to administer their own qualification testing to determine an individual's skills in regards to their exact needs.  CWI's, welders, NDT techs, any such should be qualified per the fabricators QC plan and based upon their job requirements.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By MrJuls (*) Date 05-30-2014 05:19 Edited 05-30-2014 06:19
Thanks guys. I will do the CWI course then,I will have to. At least the subjects are not unfamiliar,I did similar stuff in my courses. That will be the most important one to do. Here in SA inspectors don't have to have NDT qualifications,depending on who you work for. I have worked for managing contractors most of my life and we made use of sub-contractors' NDT personnel,but at least my UT-1 is ASNT...and PT,UT,MT and radiographic interpretation was part of my welding inspector courses in level 1 and 2.
- - By MrJuls (*) Date 06-03-2014 06:30
Would I be allowed AWS Membership before actually emigrating to the US?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-03-2014 07:01 Edited 06-03-2014 07:05
Absolutely,

Just go here for more info: http://www.aws.org/membership/ind.html 

And here for the application (NOTE THE SECTION FOR INTERNATIONAL MEMBERSHIP): http://www.aws.org/w/a/membership/form/index.html

Parent - By MrJuls (*) Date 06-03-2014 09:09
Thanks for the reply.
- - By MrJuls (*) Date 06-04-2014 06:15
It looks like Texas has a lot of fabrication/ construction job opportunities. Am I correct?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-04-2014 09:03
Texas and North Dakota are probably among the best of opportunities.  There are many others as well.  It depends upon your area of expertise and fortitude.

Parent - - By MrJuls (*) Date 06-04-2014 10:30
Thanks Brent.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 06-04-2014 12:43
check out
www.rigzone.com
www.jobsinwelding.com
www.inspectionjobs.com

Tim
Parent - By MrJuls (*) Date 06-05-2014 06:00
Thanks for the help guys.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / South African looking for opportunities