Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / What ASME codes to study?
- - By supermoto (***) Date 06-01-2014 19:45
I have access to every ASME section available and would like to know what is the most common to be familiar with.  I am familiar with most AWS codes and would like to move into the ASME industry and apply for contracts/positions that require ASME experience.  I have performed many MT, PT, UT, and some VT examinations in the past two years to ASME procedures.  Following a few pages of procedures is a lot different than being familiar with codes and standards.  I would like to be knowledgeable in navigating and being able to reference ASME acceptance criteria, welder qualifications, NDE applications, fabrication limitations, etc...

I see a lot of jobs and contracts that require multiple years or experience or working knowledge of ASME in specific sections. I don't feel confident in exaggerating the truth of my experience even though I am confident that I can learn it and learn it quickly.  I realize that just studying some books isn't the same of having the hands on experience but if no one will give me the chance to learn on the job than hopefully I can convince an interviewer that I can perform as expected.  Interpreting code should be the same as all code, you just have to find the answers in a different organized manner. 

I see many positions require specific ASME sections.  Is the list below an accurate compilation of ASME sections that might be the most common to study:

Section III
Section V
Section IX
Section XIII
B31.1
B31.3
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-01-2014 21:34
Section IX is applicable to any ASME construction code with regards to qualifying the WPS or the welder as well as brazing. Section V for NDT. Then, for the construction codes, the ones used most frequently I would have to guess Section VIII for unfired pressure vessels and then Section I for power boilers. For piping systems, it has to be B31.1 and B31.3.

If you are interested in validating your working knowledge and ability to navigate the code section, consider taking the endorsement exams offed by AWS.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 06-02-2014 16:28
Besides taking the endorsement exams would you suggest reading and familiarizing myself with the listed sections be enough if I don't have the ability to get actual on the job experience?

Is there any type of online courses or study material available?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-03-2014 17:02
Check the ASME website: asme.org

ASME offers several on-line courses for their different code sections. Most are intended for an engineer, not for the inspector.

They also offer short course to the public such as the one I'm teaching in Houston this week. Again, most of the "code" courses are intended for the design engineer. Still, there is some limited value to someone that will be inspecting. Read the course descriptions carefully.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 06-04-2014 02:36
Thanks, I'll check it out.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-04-2014 14:55
Houston is one of my favorite places to visit. I lived there awhile so I know my way around. It almost feels like going home.
I'll be there myself in a month, on the north side.
Whenever I am there I usually make a point of visiting my favorite restaurants.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-04-2014 16:48
Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) ASME keeps us on a short leash. We're limited to watering holes that are close to the hotels.

Best regards - Al :grin:
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-04-2014 17:59
Fortunately for me one of my favorite restaurants is Babin's. I always make a point of going there. And I will be on the north side where there are two, Willowbrook and the Woodlands.
I highly recommend this one. Willowbrook, Woodlands, Katy (west), and Kemah(south).
They're owned by the same folks that give us Saltgrass, The Aquarium, Rainforest Cafe', Landry's, Willie G's, and a few others.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-06-2014 16:44
We went to "A Taste of Texas." The food was excellent.

Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-06-2014 17:05
Never been there.
I planning on hittin Babin's, Saltgrass steak house, Zio's Italian, and Hacienda Mexican (best enchiladas on the planet).
Wish I had more time.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-07-2014 02:22
It is next to Papadoux in Greenspoint.

Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-09-2014 12:04
Al,
I will be staying in Greenspoint. Perhaps I'll give it a try.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-09-2014 22:29
Not a bad area. Several eateries in the area.

Al
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 06-20-2014 11:00
You want pretty damn good Mexican food, go to original Ninfas on Navigation
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-20-2014 11:56
Agreed.
And the one on Navigation is better the one on 1960. Those are the two I have gone to.
Still. IMO Hacienda on Telge is the best.
The enchilada's will make your eyes roll back in your head.
And what was the name of the place you and I went to once not far from your office?
I thought they were pretty good.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 06-20-2014 12:02
Tecate is the one by my old office
Im a little burnt on Hacienda, its only a couple of miles from the house, so I have gone a lot
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 06-20-2014 13:19
Ah, Tecate. That one was decent.
Not one of my favorites but still way better than what we have here.
I always mixed it up too when I lived there. The variety is one of the things I love about the big city. Hacienda, Pappasito's, Ninfa's, Los Cucos, etc.
Now of course I only get back maybe twice a year, I'll make a point of going there.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 06-19-2014 07:20
Check Walt Sperko's website: www.sperkoengineering.com

You can't get much better than Walt. 

Not sure if they're still doing it but Hartford Steam Boiler used to offer home study courses.

Good luck!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-19-2014 13:31
jon,
I would agree with that.
I also think Section IX will probably be the most needed. It connects to all the others.
And if you really want to have a firm foundation on IX take Walt's course with ASME.
Well worth the expense.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 06-19-2014 22:58
Ok, thanks
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-20-2014 12:24
Walter's course is excellent. I try to sit in on his class every few years to keep abreast of the changes.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 06-20-2014 12:35
And there has been a lot of them lately. Though mostly in new stuff like the re-organization, or hybrids, or wave form variables, or non-metallics, or temper bead welding. Takes ones breath away.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-22-2014 04:59
I would agree with most posts on here! ASME IX is a must and leads onto nearly all ASME standards regarding welding, and Walt Sperko is pretty much at the top of the tree in his field!
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / What ASME codes to study?