Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding Education, Skills, and Certification in July ?
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-09-2014 12:42
Curious if anyone is going to the upcoming conference in July? Would love to meet any forum members face to face.

Thanks to this forum I was able to obtain a great full time job as a welding instructor. Had to move, but to a beautiful area. It looks like there will be a few perks not available with my previous jobs. Hopefully I can make FABTECH.

Gerald Austin
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-09-2014 15:05
Congrats !

Do say more about the new job :)
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 06-09-2014 15:11
Hello Gerald, glad to hear of your teaching position, there will be many a student who will benefit greatly in their future from the time spent in your tutelage, congratulations.

As to the conference, unfortunately our state has put a clamp on expenditures for out of state travel and such. The last big conference that I was able to attend was in LA quite a number of years ago and before it became associated and labelled as FABTECH, although we keep trying.

Like you, I would enjoy to meet with many of the members of the forum. If you feel so inclined, share your location and the name of the school that you are at now. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-09-2014 16:35
Thanks for the congratulations. The position is with Walters State Community College in Greeneville TN. I was actually informed about the opening by another forum member Tim Gary. Very thankful for the opportunity.

A "Program" has been in place for a few years but this is going to be a change. We now have a dedicated building which is being setup right now (or at least when I get off my rear end in front of this computer). We will be working closely with industries in the area and also hope to provide training to those individuals who may not yet be employed as a welder.

I'm extremely excited about it and there is a good bit of work to do and I need to get sharpened up a bit for the position myself.

Have a great day.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-09-2014 18:13
Hey,

We have a plant in Elizabethton which is about 40 miles away.

Let me know when you get settled in and we can talk about steel donations, advisory committees and getting some of your grads to work for us.

Also, I visit a couple of times a year so we can break bread one day soon I hope  :)
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-09-2014 21:53
That's Great Lawrence. Would love to get together. I'll be in touch. PM'd you my number.

Have a good one.
Gerald Austin
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-09-2014 23:27
Ah yes, networking is a wonderful thing! It's awesome that Lawrence is going to be in close proximity to you on occasion. Sounds like some great possibilities for sharing wisdom, challenges, and resources. Best regards, to you and Lawrence both, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-10-2014 11:37
Speaking of close proximity and networking...

Allan,  Where are you from Spokane????

I'll be up there installing some several dozen shiney Lincoln S500's in a week or so.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-10-2014 14:32
Hello Lawrence, I am in the SW corner of WA. and Spokane is roughly in the NE corner. However, I have been making a lot of trips over to my folks who are a little over a 100 miles to the south of Spokane. So are you going to be working with a manufacturer or school over there? I know that there has been some growth in Spokane in recent years as it is one of the major population areas in that part of our state. I'll have to see if I am around there when you are over there. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-10-2014 15:06
Allan,

We have a plant in Spokane... Nice to visit in the summer...  Really beautiful

Will be there on the week of the 23rd
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-11-2014 09:26
Allan,
I am definitely looking forward to meeting and networking with others interested in welding and especially those interested in helping others learn to weld. 
I have a great deal to learn.

Gerald
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 06-11-2014 14:42
Hello Gerald, I have said this before and others know this too. We never stop learning and in most cases we have to be reminded(often) to dust off the old brain cells and revisit much of our learning, both to bring it to the forefront of our minds and often to modify some of it.

I had looked at that particular conference, yet I believe that it mainly deals with the certified testing facilities and the associated set-up and administration of those. Sometimes, even with the testing that we do at our own facility, there is a level of interruption that causes glitches in our regular training regimen. I would expand on this statement but it would fill up quite a space here if I did.

Certainly glad to hear that you are now in a spot where you can teach full time as I know from your interactions on the forum here that your students are going to come away well-prepared to face their futures. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-13-2014 10:16
I think you are correct about the ATF info. I think we are going to work towards the ATF cert but hope there will be some other information spread around.

I'm looking forward to getting up and running.

Gerald
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 06-13-2014 11:33
I'll say only one thing about ATF's .... Ok.. I'll say more, but later :)

In your technical college program;... Do not allow (fight to the death for this) one thin dime of your program operating budget to be diverted into ATF compliance costs... (They are huge and annual).

Unless you can do a huge turnover in 3rd party certification and PQR business, an ATF his very hard to justify at a college...... And a government subsidized college doing 3rd party work for business has it's own moral implications in my opinion.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-13-2014 13:30
Anyone performing certification and qualification besides the entity with the ultimate responsibility for the functioning, safety,  and service life of their product has always raised some moral issues in my opinion.  But boy could I write some stuff on that. 

I think every company that has a responsibility for welding should observe their welders testing or verify through their own methods the suitability of a welders skill. That verification may be through some prior documentation but I would hope there is at least some actual verification of real welding.

And on the budget,  I'm still in the learning stages but am considering this as an option if it can provide a positive situation for the program. 

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 06-13-2014 19:46 Edited 06-13-2014 19:51
Gerald, if I recall you are a new instructor?  Please forgive me if I am incorrect.  With that in mind, if you become a test facility, I recommend not testing those who haven't completed all of your training.

The reputation of your credential is potentially at stake anytime a guy off the street comes in, gets "certified", and then goes out in industry and can't produce.  Same for the student, with or without prior experience, who comes in and "just wants to get certified".

If the guy can't read a basic print, do math accurately, do basic layout, run a torch and air arc in all positions, select consumables and set up powers sources, and the like, that cert may mean little.  Yet smaller job and production shops, maintenance shops, and the like frequently have an (unrealistic) expectation that a certification means the welder possesses general competence as a metal worker, not just competence making one particular type of relatively easy weld.

The reputation of your credential is vital to the success of your students, and some of those guys off the street can be quick to say "I got certified at ....(your school)"  while failing to add "but I never actually completed any training there". 

Bad enough are the guys who come in, fail out or drop out, and then apply for or get a job claiming "I took welding up at the college", failing to mention "but I failed out".  It happens.

In addition to the ethical issues with using a state funded facility to compete with private industry as an open-to-the-public test house, testing off the street or testing non-completing students puts credentialed competition out in the field that your students who put out the effort to complete a formal education will now have to compete with for jobs.  Glutting an area with "certified welders" can also have an effect of driving down wage potential for your graduates.

These are things I became more aware of since becoming educator.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-13-2014 22:18
Hey Blaster,

I am new to a full time position as an instructor but have been teaching a 8 to 16 hours a week at night for a few years now. Have tested a few welders though in construction, fabrication, and educational situations. I have mo\ixed emotions about the ATF and hope to learn more at the upcoming conference.

I have a ton of thoughts about the whole "certified" thing. Some are listed in no specific order below.

1) If someone thinks a "cert" means you need to be able to do things other than what you were tested for then someone somewhere is completely in the dark about what a welder performance qualification test is. It means exactly what is says where the individual signing the "cert" has signed.

2) Often times a company or other organization thinks that a welder who has met the requirement of a code has some secret knowledge of how to weld everything in the world and is supposed to be better than the "non certified welders".

3) The Cert means little in many cases and in some cases knowing how to lay out a perpendicular line using only a piece of string and soapstone is meaningless too. Each industry, Company, foreman, coworker has their own ideas of what they need. Its a shame very few of them have the knowledge, skill, or desire, to verify it for themselves.

4) Based on my experience the ability to pass a standard welder performance qualification test reflects little on real world ability to weld. Its an entry level kinda thing. I also think we shouldn't have to take them every time we change contractors or even stay with the same contractor at a different plant. Sometimes all of our QC stuff is making a big to do about nothing. I have tested some of the same welders 4 times in three months. What a waste of money and time just to make some engineer or project manager think we are all the greatest since we test our welders before each job. Surgeons don't have to test before each job and I know what we do pales in comparison.

5) Contractors and Employers should provide specific requirements for their needs as far as welder skills go. If an organization can thoroughly train for those needs and has a pair big enough to put in writing that the individual meets those needs then they should.

6) Companies are going wild listing requirements for "certificates" or "degrees" in welding while community colleges are placing ads for instructors with degrees and 2 years of experience. Kinda crazy. I think that's where many of the bad reputations are coming from.

Many other thoughts squirm around in my head too. I do think about some of your points. I have got alot to learn about the "Business End" of teaching people to weld. I think testing labs have been doing the same thing that ATF's are doing except with their own quality systems and procedures. Some of them have good reputations, and some have bad reputations.

Have a good one and thanks for the thought provoking statements.

Gerald
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 06-14-2014 23:20
Many good points there.  Personally, your point number1 I think is probably the stickiest of wickets.  As I am sure you have observed, it is unfortunately the way things are among a significant part of the metal working field and maintenance fields.

Student success and program reputation with the school educative board and the board of trustees of the college (who may know little if anything about trade work, much less welding specifically) are vital to maintaining adequate funding levels and reasonable class sizes. 

These administrators and directors of the college have their opinions formed in large part through interaction with local business owners / leaders who employ or who have employed folks who claimed affiliation with the training program.   Unfortunately some of these owners / leaders fit your description, first sentence of point 1, to a T.

It can be frustrating.  I tested guys off the street for quite a few years, only because my supervisor wanted me to do it.  I was later allowed to stop.  What a relief. It seemed 90% of the guys were no where close to being able to pass, and most had not a clue what test it was they wanted to take or what the standards would be.  I would thoroughly explain the instructions and expectations, let them warm up and get familiar with the equipment, and then almost every time have them walk out recognizing they weren't ready to test, or they would test and fail. What a huge waste of time and resources... Time many schools do not compensate the instructor for, inspire of the fact it can't be done during class time - at least not without robbing enrolled students of their instructor face time.

Best of luck whatever you decide to do... Just hoping to provide some useful food for thought.

Rod
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-16-2014 11:28
Thanks Rod. I appreciate any info and experiences you can share. I have a great deal to learn.

There is much more to education than education.

I have provided Welder Performance Qualification Testing for my students who have met the requirements for me to do so. A few of them have had the opportunity to witness some "off the street" welders who wanted to "get certified". In ALL cases (3-5 people I think) the street welders walked away probably not feeling as good about themselves as before they entered and the welders in class who had reached the point of being able to test were quite proud of their accomplishments.

Any though is welcome. I would love to see more discussion related to education. I have setup facebook and linkedin pages/groups but not many outside of this forum seem to want to discuss much. So your comments and any others are greatly appreciated.

Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 06-10-2014 20:21
I assume you are referring to the Lincoln training?  I would love to go but I teach summer school and the sessions offered clash with the dates we are in class.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-10-2014 22:38
The following is what I believe is referenced here:

Welding Education, Skills, and Certifications Conference
July 23–25, 2014
Indianapolis, IN

The American Welding Society has created a conference program that answers questions on the essential requirements to become an accredited testing facility. Conference topics include skill training, curriculum strategies, advanced e-learning strategies, and many other topics. Educational institutions, corporate trainers, and educators are all encouraged to attend.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 06-11-2014 19:27
Aha!  Ok, thanks.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-11-2014 09:24
Brent is correct.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-12-2014 16:29
Congrats Gerald!

Btw, do you have a "cloud" or, what's the limit your e-mail app has for size when receiving attachments? I ask this because I have some software to send you you might find useful for developing curriculum and e-learning courses... I could send you them in either RAR's or ISO's and you then just decompress them once you upload...

Here's a brief description of one: "Brand new iSpring Suite combines professional products that enable you to quickly create highly engaging, interactive e-Learning courses based on PowerPoint. iSpring Suite is a combination of iSpring Pro, iSpring QuizMaker and iSpring Kinetics, all tightly integrated to work effectively within PowerPoint. iSpring Pro provides the opportunity to create PowerPoint-based courses with synchronized audio and video narrations, content protection and customizable players. Adding graded quizzes and surveys to presentations is made possible by iSpring QuizMaker...." This is for "iSpring 7.0".  Let me know. Once again congrats brother!:grin::lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::twisted::yell::lol:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-13-2014 10:13
Thanks Henry,
I believe 25mb is my limit however I may have an FTP site I can open up.

But if its a product available online I could probably just download a trial. I have definitely been searching for something that works better with my brain.

Have a good one.

Gerald
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 06-14-2014 08:31
Gerald,

Here's their webpage:

http://www.ispringsolutions.com/ispring-suite

Here's a barebones freebie:

http://www.ispringsolutions.com/ispring-free

They have a quite a few packages and pricing schemes also that will fit any budget... So I suggest that you look them over closely to see if any one of them may be something that will be useful and beneficial for you... At the very least, try out that freebie.

Btw, have you gone any further with that bi-lingual course you wanted to develop? The reason I ask is because I have recently come across quite a bit of new content that would most definitely be useful for that course... In any event, let me know what's going on okay? Oncw again, Congrats on your new position Gerald!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-14-2014 11:00
Hey Henry,

Thanks for the info. I have not come across the Ispring packages before. I had been using a combination of products for developing quizzes and materials and became a bit overwhelmed with learning the programs and working/teaching/life. I am hoping with the new job I can spend a little more time developing materials.

One of the packages I was using for quizzes was Hot Potatoes ( http://hotpot.uvic.ca/ ) . It worked pretty well. The different packages for developing SCORM content are helpful but I never came to a decision on the most productive for me.

I will definitely check this one out.

On the Bi Lingual courses, I prepared a few materials and let the 3 hispanic students know I would be glad to teach anyone that may have been hesitant because of language barriers but really never had anyone respond.

Have a good day.

Gerald
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding Education, Skills, and Certification in July ?