Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what are some good welders that arent too expensive?
- - By bclark1 Date 06-11-2014 02:34 Edited 06-11-2014 03:53
Ive been wanting to purchase a welder for a while but im unsure of what to get. I have been welding for about a year now but dont have a welder of my own. Ill use this welder mostly to weld square tubing and pipe for projects like a rear bumper for my jeep and other similar projects. I wont do much outdoor welding and most of my metal will be fairly clean. Id prefer a mig welder because they are a bit easier to create nice looking beads however i dont really want to spend $800 and up to get a nice one. As of right now i dont have 220 power in my garage but i think that i will probobly need the power of a 220 volt welder to weld the heavier tubing needed for my projects. I doubt a 110 volt would be good but i dont know. There is a spot for 220 in my house it would just need to be re routed into my garage and wired in. I would like to have a welder that will handle what i need for under $300 if possible mig or smaw it doesnt matter that much too me. Ive looked at the cheap stick welders from harbor freight for around $100 and they have good reviews however im not sure if i should trust it. I dont want to buy a welder and it be extremely hard to run a nice strong bead. I understand that $300 is probobly pretty low but thats what i can afford right now. Ill gladly take suggestions for higher priced welders that i may would purchase in the future as for now thoughthe less expensive the better.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-11-2014 04:15
WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

You have sure started out with a bang.  There are many cheap welders available.  Many would do a job standard for what they cost... zero in...zero out.

It is at least as true in welders as in almost everything available for public purchase, you get what you pay for.

Even most of the cheapest welders that will even come close to doing what you would want are going to run over $500. 

Just my two tin pennies worth.  Maybe some here with more experience with the cheaper units will chime in with more encouraging words.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Plasma56 (**) Date 06-11-2014 06:46
I'll chime in. You can buy something of quality for $300 and it will do everything you mention. You just have to buy used. Hey, it's like buying a used car, buyer beware.  Look for the deal, and remember to test drive before you buy.
Downsizers, divorce and rent money.  That and everyone thinks they can weld but most give up long before they get educated and reasonably good in the skills department, they get frustrated then after it collects some dust...they sell.
He's your deal.
You won't likely get a gas cylinder and flow meter, but $300 should buy you 130 amps minimum, 20amp/120volt supply for portability, likely 20% Duty cycle, and while running a gasless wire should have a built in gas package.   That will weld 1/4" which is with in the rating of most machines and what you want to do. It won't be nose down ass up but it will weld some serious material given the time.
Millermatic 130, Hobart Handler 130, Lincoln 130. Hobart has a bit of lesser rep so they are the best deal.
I'm not saying off shore manufactured "NEW" should be ruled out however. What you need to do is learn enough about welding to understand some basic welding knowledge, compare consumable costs and availability for those consumables. Compare the materials used in construction and you'll notice plastic where aluminum might be, a bushing where a bearing might be used, cheap switches plugs and don't forget service issues.
Red White and Blue.
As far as cheap SMAW equipment, an AC transformer is the bomb. But unless it's a 220v machine, you will be buying a 120V inverter power source for that money. Or 120v ac transformer welding with a 5/64" electrode lol. Buy new. Pay with Visa and double your warrenty. Remember when your VCR crapped out you didn't get it fixed if it was off warrenty.
As for your future spending... Don't buy what you won't use.
My 2 cents worth.
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 06-11-2014 12:12
Not having 220 is a problem. Personally, at the house, I struggle because I don't have three phase and can't upgrade my air compressor. There are cheap 220 used stick machines galore on ebay. Also a lot of millermatics that could be refurbished easily with a new torch cable, etc. I wouldn't attempt to buy a new welding machine for cheap and I wouldn't waste a minute on Harbor Freight for any reason.
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-11-2014 14:33
Depending on your location just keep checking Craigs List.  Rarely a day goes by when there aren't a half dozen or more machines that will do what you require.  You'll need to deal with the 230 voltage supply issue.  Anything much longer than a 50' extension from your source will tend to limit your machine.  As far as pricing, bring cash, a big sweaty, greasy handfull of crumpled up 20s you drag out of your pocket and waive it in their face screaming "It's all I can afford"!  Make sure you test the machine before buying and plan to make finding the deal you're looking for a full time hobby until you find the exchange that fits your budget.  That's the problem with not being able to afford what you need: you replace the cash investment with a time investment.  Best of luck.
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 06-16-2014 02:26
I'll just put it simply. Cheap equals junk.

I was in your same situation 17 years ago. I had a 220 outlet in my carport after I unplugged my dryer. I bought a Miller Thunderbolt stick welder for right around $400. It would weld projects similar to yours no problem. The thing about my Miller is this. Your $100 Harbor Freight welder vs my Miller after 17 years, I can go to the shop, turn it on right now and weld all day long with it. I doubt the $100 joloppy will make it that long.

The hobarts from Tractor Supply are nice. I've got a 110 that has welded 100's of feet of handrail and aluminum(light with my special trick). A larger 220 machine is not outrageous in cost. The harbor freight welders and things like that I'd stay the heck away from them unless you just like throwing away money. Honestly, save your $300 and add to it. They're not going to stop making welding machines next week so you still have time to put away another couple hundred bucks to get what you want and not settle for something less than what you want now.
- - By bclark1 Date 06-12-2014 00:47 Edited 06-12-2014 00:58
Thanks for the help everyone. I recently started working as a shop assistant for our local school districts maintenence department. One of the welders we have been using is a thermal arc 95s stick/tig welder. It runs pretty well however it cant run 6010
rods. I welded some 1/4 in with the 6013 and it held very well i just dont know if it would have a long enough duty cycle to do a big project running that hot. It is a 110 machine and i like that i can also tig with it. My plan is to purchase one of these for around $350ish new then buy a cheap 220 machine from harbor freight for bigger projects when i get 220 wired in.
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 06-12-2014 12:27
Esab has a 160 amp, 110 - 220 voltage machine that will run 6010, and and can be on sale for about that price (without the tig accessories). About 10 kilograms, and made in China, like the Thermal.
- By Paladin (***) Date 06-12-2014 12:01
Buy once. Buying quality hurts only once.
I would not waste my time on a 110 machine.
Floyd
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what are some good welders that arent too expensive?