Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / strange but true
- - By Bill Tulk (*) Date 06-12-2014 18:30
I can already feel the fruit being thrown but I have to forge ahead because I need your help.  Going for CWI. I am new to the welding industry as far as inspection goes.  Also, (wait for it)...I am NOT a welder.  I do however have extensive experience as a boilermaker and have worked with a few welders.  This is where you come in.  I have spent most of my life in some sort of managerial position or sales all unrelated to refinery/pipline, I was a beverage consultant for 6 years (what a waste).  I have been blessed over the past 7 years to be introduced to work that I love and I feel the good Lord has put me on this earth to be of service in this way. I have worked my way into some project management on a couple piping projects.
Now that you have read all of that BS your probably rolling your eyes and muttering "Here we go again. Some A-hole that thinks he's just going to waltz right into inspection".  I will have you understand first and foremost that I have the nothing but RESPECT for welders!!  I think it is a skilled trade and people need to start treating it that way again.  It's ridiculous that there has been a stigma around the work of boilermakers, fitters, and welders that "these guys are a bunch or rednecks" or "people that do that kind of work are a bunch of grunts".  Sure the quality of individuals can vary.  Yes there has been a lack of focused recruiting by companies.  I personally blame the 1980's (I'll tell you later if you really want to know).  But one thing remains,  YOU MAKE THINGS HAPPEN!  I am willing to bet that most of you that have consistent work probably make $100k plus.  That's just as much, if not more, than some doctors or lawyers or whatever other profession that the general population seems to think is repectable.  Do you think someone would treat you different if you said you were a doctor instead of a welder?  I bet so.  And to me that just plain ignorant!  I have a college degree.  Does that help me in life? maybe.  Am I proud to be able to tell my kids that I graduated college? sure.  But it doesn't give me satisfaction in a career.  Only finding a labor of love will do that and guess what?  I LIKE WORKING WITH MY HANDS.  I like building things, creating, and seeing something arise out of my dirty hands, sweat, and aching muscles. Oh and I have an uncanny amount of mechanical aptitude that I wasn't taping into.  This stuff just comes natural.
I say all of this so that you will not judge me.  I want to be in the welding industry as an inspector and a welder.  I am learning as much as I can everyday.  You want to know why? because I love it.  I can't get enough. I have questions on top of questions.  I can listen to the old timey engineers talk about how to do this and that.  I love hearing the "tricks of the trade".  Everyday is interesting.
Therefore, I am asking for some help in regards to my road to CWI. ( By the way, I am welding in my spare time for practice and for fun.  You want to challenge me? Go ahead.  I will be the best when this is all done.)
Where would you start moving towards CWI if you were me?  One piece of info I forgot to tell you. My company wants to send me to CWI class in three weeks!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-12-2014 19:08
OUCH!!

Oh,  WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!  Hopefully we can help you in this decision. 

You probably have many experiences, skills, and educational backgrounds that qualify you for the exam.  The question you have to ask yourself is 'Am I really qualified to do the work?' 

That will depend upon employer requirements and needs.  There are many that I don't feel are qualified to do 'my job' but can be good for their company with the requirements that they need covered.  And the CWI seminar and exam will educate you even though that is not it's actual job or purpose.  You can't help but learn many things with even a mediocre attitude when going into it. 

Your main block is the time period.  You don't have enough time to order materials and do some self study before the exam.  Get into the code you have chosen to take the exam to and get familiar with the layout of the book.  If possible, get a WIT book and study for the fundamentals exam before you get to the seminar.  There are other books but that is probably one of the best and cheapest and as most info on the exam comes out of it I suggest starting there.

Are you, or someone you know, already an AWS member?  If so you can save 25% on book purchases.  Though I normally prefer hard copies, if you do the digital downloads you can have it instant and start study immediately. 

That's a start.  I'll see if I can think of anything else.  Others will prompt my memory.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-12-2014 19:10
OH, I see you said, 'they WANT' to send you in three weeks.  Try to talk them into waiting.

Another possibility, go to the seminar, even take the exam to get used to the procedure, but knowing that you may have to do it again.  Then, go home with all the books you will get at the seminar and notes taken during the seminar and study till you drop.  Then, reschedule and take the exam again. 

Brent
Parent - By Bill Tulk (*) Date 06-13-2014 13:21
Yes.  That's what I'm talking about!  Thanks for the info.  Your right in saying "what your employer requires".  We already have a "welding inspector" who is qualified through our customer to be an inspector.  However,  he has a basic knowledge of the craft.  His job is to gather information an and report it.  That's it!  He doesn't currently have to know everything there is to know.  He just has to do what is "required by our employer".  You might say "Well he isn't really a welding inspector then".  You know what? He is listed as one for our client and he is making good money gathering information, checking equipment, looking at electrodes, MTR's, tracking heat numbers etc.  That's inspection in my book even without having the stinger time.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / strange but true