Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Booths available for Rental in Greenville, SC
- - By Josephp (**) Date 06-14-2014 17:27
Welding Booths are available for Rental at Greenville Technical Collage for $100.00 per day from 7:30am to 5:30pm Monday through Thursday. You do not have to be a student of the school. You can practice TIG, MIG or SMAW. My opinion this is a first rate facility.

Regards

Joseph

Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-14-2014 18:15
Is this an advert? Are you paying for this?
Parent - - By Josephp (**) Date 06-14-2014 18:27
No, I am a person who is currently in the Fluor Pipe Welding Program at this facility. I am not paid or being paid by anyone. Speaking to the faculty about using this facility as a non-student I was told it is available for public use.

You have an issue with this?

Regards

Joseph
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-14-2014 18:45
Yes I do!
Parent - - By Josephp (**) Date 06-14-2014 18:48
You will get over it!
Joseph
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-14-2014 18:51
I hope so! Meanwhile I will be reporting you to the management!
Parent - - By Josephp (**) Date 06-14-2014 18:53
You can report me to whom ever you like, Glyn.

Come see me in person.

Joseph
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-14-2014 18:55
Is that a threat?
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-15-2014 00:53
where?
and what fore?
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 06-14-2014 19:56
Good grief, the kid's going thru a program, learned of availability of booths to the general public and made it known.

I can guaranteeeee you there are people who would like to take advantage of that.

And what do you do?.....Go running to the teacher yellin' "I'm tellin', I'm tellin'". Bet you had lot's of friends as a kid.

Then since that's evidently not enough whining, you conjure up the dreaded "interwebs threat".

A bit of growin up is in order, you're not a 3rd grade hall moniter anymore. All directed at 46.00. Grow up.

JT

Not every welder looking to improve, or brush up on, their skills have instant access to a machine/tools/etc. So for somebody, it's just a chance to further their ability to feed the rugrats and live a life.
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-15-2014 00:51
Are you serious JT?
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 06-15-2014 07:38
Glyn,
on your side on this
might be bad for you:eek::surprised::lol:
but never see Allan, Al, Dr. Crisi, Lawrence
advertise there schools or former schools
just my thoughts and poor spelling and grammar:eek::lol:
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-15-2014 10:17
LoL cheers Kent, I thought it was a joke, but certain people seem to have taken it seriously. Anyhow,what is is!
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-16-2014 11:39
I feel threatened and harassed!I think I'm gonna report you as well!
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-16-2014 11:42
LOL
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 06-16-2014 11:55
...and you wonder why you have no diamonds....
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-16-2014 17:04
Yeah, I'll live, might be diamondless though!
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 06-16-2014 17:52
Hi 46.00,
Not very often, no.

In the beggining, and at the end......... yes somewhat serious.

In the middle......... jacking' with ya a bit, trying to get some coveted stars, diamonds, or whatever they hand out around here.

J
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 06-14-2014 19:12
Looks like a GREAT Place for Guys to brush up or learn new Skills !!
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-14-2014 22:34
Thats pretty dam cool where is this place at?? I know the pipe fitters union near me has a program anyone can pay and go use there welding facility which is a great idea.
Parent - - By Josephp (**) Date 06-14-2014 23:12
Chris,

This is at Greenville Technical Collage, 506 S Pleasantburg Drive, Greenville, SC 29607. The Barton Campus.

Which pipe fitters union has a facility available to anyone who can pay?

Joseph
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-15-2014 02:59 Edited 06-15-2014 03:02
Local 60 Plumbers and pipe fitters union Metairie,  Louisiana. I know they had this going on as of maybe 5 months ago and i'm sure it is still going on. they call the program something I can't remember exactly what they had called it something like tradesman training or something like that. You maybe looked down on by some of the other union members because there gonna be like what the h*ll you're non union and you pay to train here and you don't want to be union but screw them is how I feel. I'm in that union and if I knew about that hell i may have not even freaking gone union hahaha.
Parent - - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-15-2014 13:24
Joseph,

I went through the Fluor Daniels program in the early 90s in Deer Park TX.  I'd heard about it on a job I was working in Sacramento CA at Proctor & Gamble.  The 3 months of free training and opportunity to learn open root/large gap tig welding was exactly what I needed and was looking for and I drug that job up to get in and learn what I needed to.  At some point a visiting instructor from SC did some teaching at the TX facility.  I was extremley fortunate to have found that program and I learned a lot, enough at least to take the skills learned and develop them to a point of professional reliability.  Many times over the years I have recommended these programs to young welders looking to learn pipe welding.  I'd heard they shut down the TX facility but that the SC program as still operational.  I was always impressed by Fluors willingness to put their money where their mouth is by maintaining a high level training program, I don't know of any other large industrial Construction company that does that.  It's good to learn they are still at it.

Chris, funny you mention Metarie, LA.  Soon after the FD program I busted a few tests for offshore work.  In frustration I contacted the Voc. Tech school in Metarie and was put in touch with the welding instructor, Ronnie Davis who listened to my yankee accent and tale of woe and told me to come on over [Ronnie was a born and bred self declared Slidell coonass and I suspect he anticipated having some fun at my northern expense].  Not only did we hit it off but that man taught me more about pipe welding in 1 month than I'd learned from any other instructor in my 1st 5 years of study and work.  Maybe it was a case of the old adage "when the student is ready the Master appears".  In any case, he honed my skills to the proper edge and helped me put together the confidence and ability to make the shots necessary for the work I was wanting to do.  A truly gifted and generous man and absolutely the finest instructor I ever trained under as well as being a remarkable, well read, interesting and engaging individual. I'd heard his son had taken over after Rons retirement.  Funny, back then I think I was charged 100 bucks for the whole 3-4 weeks I hung out and learned there.  Wouldn't surprise me to find some of the union guys in Metarie might know Ron.  He trained a lot of welders in those days.  Hell of a guy.
Parent - - By Josephp (**) Date 06-15-2014 14:07
yojimbo,

Posting "the old adage "when the student is ready the Master appears", bring to thought Stanton Kirkham Davis;

"You may be keeping accounts, and presently you shall walk out of the door that for so long has seemed to you the barrier of your ideals, and shall find yourself before an audience—the pen still behind your ear, the ink stains on your fingers and then and there shall pour out the torrent of your inspiration. You may be driving sheep, and you shall wander to the city-bucolic and open-mouthed; shall wander under the intrepid guidance of the spirit into the studio of the master, and after a time he shall say, 'I have nothing more to teach you.' And now you have become the master, who did so recently dream of great things while driving sheep. You shall lay down the saw and the plane to take upon yourself the regeneration of the world."

What part of the globe are you located?

Regards

Joseph
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 06-16-2014 16:26
Josephp,

I live in WA State, bit north of Tacoma.

Re: S.K.D., there's something vaguely familiar about his syntax in the quote but I'm sure I've never encountered his writing [apparently prolific], it's probably just his adjacent historical time frame to 19th Century writers I'm more familiar with.  Some of the titles I saw on Wiki look like they'll have to be investigated.

What is your career plan when you finish the FD training?  Do they still require a post training 3 month commitment of work?  If so, it's really not a bad way to get your feet wet in the NDT pipe welding field.  For the most part the field supervision worked pretty closely with the training instructors to get the new guys put in positions that were challenging but still within their abilities.  They won't cut you any slack and expect a journeyman's days work, but if you produce and make x ray at least you don't get stuck on socket welds for the entire time.

BTW. If the work commitment is still in place, don't be surprised when they round up a bunch of the guys in training and tell them, "You're testing on Monday.  2 month shutdown starts Friday".  There's a certain kind of psychology involved in the work, call it grace under pressure, it's what separates the wheat from the chaff.  It's something you learn to deal with and adapt to. As you overcome it, the only real danger is complacency. 

Depending on your goals FD can be a good outfit to stay with.  I was never sufficiently "corporate" enough to want to do my entire time of service with one company and was always more interested in finding the best paying/most challenging jobs, plus I wanted to travel so I boomed around for a good 15 years.  Picked up a few contacts along the way and a decent understanding of how/where to find the kind of jobs I was looking for.  If I can offer any leads in that direction let me know and I'll PM some ideas.  In any case, your training will serve you well when you get out there. I'ts always apparent on a job who's gone through a rigorous training regime and who didn't.
Parent - - By Josephp (**) Date 06-15-2014 13:29 Edited 06-15-2014 13:32
Chris,

Review the "Welder Training with Fluor" you can apply, if you are accepted there is no cost for the training. See URL:

http://www.fluor.com/careers/craft/craft_training/pages/welder_training.aspx

I am currently in this program at Greenville, South Carolina been here since April 14 and I am from New York. The facility is EXCELLENT, the instructors are there to help you ever step of the way. It is like being awarded a 20K scholarship. If you qualify for the program and can take the time (12 weeks) it is WELL WORTH IT.

Am a certified structural welder for years, never did any pressure pipe work. Working on getting certified in pipe (ASME IX) with the Fluor program.

Yes, I would want to become a UA Member, am Union Member, UBC in the Heavy Construction (Dockbuilder, Marine Construction).

The Fairbanks Pipeline Training Center and Plumbers and Pipefitters Local 375 is having an eighteen (18) week advanced pipeline welding program, tuition free!

I posted information under "Training":

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=33590

Regards

Joseph
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 06-15-2014 18:02
Thats to far away for me I'm in the Local 60 union did a 18 week course there to brush up on stick and learned a ton from that instructor there. Went out as a Journeyman welder although most members hate me because they think i should have done there 5 year apprenticeship program but hell if thats the case i wouldn't have gone union. Thats to much time put in besides I like everything there is about welding and fitting i don't want to be a plumber, nothing wrong with it, it's not my thing. As many have said UNION has the best training around but there is to much brown nosing for me in this union.
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 06-16-2014 12:52
Thats Great. Thanks for posting! A great use for a training facility with a little unused space.

Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding Booths available for Rental in Greenville, SC