Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Deposition
- - By Duke (***) Date 06-17-2014 12:16
Going for my first deposition in a couple of hours. I've spent several hours in the last 2 weeks talking to attorneys... not looking forward to being in a room with several who are probably billing at 500 an hour, and have no reason to hurry.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-17-2014 12:24
It will be a learning experience.

Good luck.  Be honest, listen to the question before answering, and before answering; make sure you understand the question. Only answer the question asked. Do not answer the question that should have been asked.

Al
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 07-16-2014 05:47
any good tips?   I Think I'm heading down that road right now.  

The only lesson i need to learn is when to walk away when a general contractor is completely incompetent and the owner is a overzealous trust fund baby but here i am
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 07-17-2014 14:45
Have your daily journal. Only answer a question you can document from your journal. Any other question will be "I cannot recall"
If you have failed to have a daily journal, and decent notes, do not answer ANY question except with "I cannot recall"
If they ask for an opinion, decline. If they ask a question pertaining to a code or standard, and you do not have that in front of you, say " I will have to refer to the standard or code before I can answer"
NEVER SPIN THE TRUTH or worse, LIE!
Parent - - By E S Thompson Date 07-17-2014 23:49
Great advice. Something I learned long ago and had beat into my stubborn head by my dad, keep a journal. It will pay dividends if you are ever called upon to testify. This was something that has saved my azz on several occassions (mostly in a previous life working offshore). Again, very sound advice Kahunna.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-18-2014 03:08
Amen.

Al
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 07-18-2014 04:05
Not a tip for enduring a deposition, but a small tip for avoiding them, is to clarify all all questionable instruction/demands twice verbally and then once in writing.
Ethically challenged individuals will ask you to do many, many things verbally that they will never put in writing. Verification from 2 or more levels in an organization is mo better.
Sounds pretty drastic, but there are very cheap audio recording devices that are cheap. Those can save you untold heartache if you regularly swim with predatory fish.
Documentation rules, otherwise it's your word against theirs and many people are very good liars.

J
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-18-2014 21:29
Or have selective amnesia.

Al
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-18-2014 21:51
In cases like that it is called "Industrial Amnesia".

jrw159
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-18-2014 22:36
Combine that with my selective hearing and I can make do.

:lol:

Hi John, hope all is well with you and yours.  Did you make that move we talked about?

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 07-19-2014 20:44
No Brent, we've been busy moving into a couple of different areas as opportunity has deposited itself in our lap. Hopefully it'll all shake out nice.
All is well with my clan. That last big storm broke a few things around here but I fixed 'em. Several power poles were blown over in the big K town. My 1/3rd mile driveway is a mass of washed out small canyons but with more storms coming I'll wait to fix those. We need that rain.

The mule deer are starting to make a comeback around here, hopefully it'll continue. This drought didn't phase the elk population but the deer& antelope took a pounding since the early 90's.

The snakes seem to be having a banner year tho. And we have a small batch of Javelina running around, never seen them this far north. The mountain lion population will likely feast on them : )

J
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 07-20-2014 22:08
LOL, selective hearing can be a good thing at times.

All is well and we are hunting a rental place at the moment. We are not getting in a hurry, I don't want to rush in only to regret it 4 months into a year lease. I am in an extended stay motel right now (2 1/2 hour drive home on the weekend). It is not bad for the price and has kitchenette with full size fridge. Best part is I am less than 5 minutes from work even on a bad traffic day.

Give everyone our best.

jrw159
- By Dualie (***) Date 08-12-2014 03:24
I will agree that in the haste to Get the job done my record keeping wasn't what it should have been at the end of the day.   Thankfully i cannot recall, is going to be a mantra from here on out.   Well actually its come to, you can ask my council as all further communication will be through them.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Deposition