Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what are these?
- - By malikiotaku Date 06-19-2014 15:22 Edited 06-19-2014 15:34

Hello, my dad did a lot of work welding and inspecting and he left a lot of stuff we just don't recognize when he passed away a few years back. Can anyone identify what these are? Apologies if I posted in the wrong area.
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 06-20-2014 15:38
I think you came to the right place. Someone on this forum will know. The short ones look like some type of expansion anchors or vent plugs. Not sure what the long ones are unless they are some type of vents. They may be some type of thermocouple or temperature indicator
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-20-2014 18:37
So I assume you looked at this and it is safe?  No viruses.  I don't go to unknown people's unknown links until someone with computer savvy, Henry, Glyn, etc has been there and I know we can check it out without problems.  I am the ultimate computer challenged person on the forum. 

So, with that I will welcome our newcomer as well.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By CWI7611 (**) Date 06-20-2014 21:26
I know about being computer challenged. I didn't see any links. The small ones just looked like some needle valve bleeds or expansion plugs. The big ones are just a guess.

Any links scare the heck out of me. Especially when they are posted first time with a moniker like the one here.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-20-2014 22:31
After opening, I see what you mean, not actually a 'link' but a different way of attaching a photo I guess.

Thanks for the response.  Careful of forming a wrong impression of 'our moderator'.  He is a very busy man and it is a totally volunteer position that puts him at odds with people here on the forum at times.  Not an easy spot to be in when AWS doesn't seem to really have hard and fast rules and guidelines for the forum.

Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-23-2014 11:01
I didn't see ay links either, just pictures.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-20-2014 18:39
I do not know what they are, but to me they appear to be some sort of metering jets.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-20-2014 22:28
Interesting, I seem to remember seeing something similar to that on the farm in OR.  Just need to remember what Dad may have had that it would have been from.  He was also a Firefighter and always bringing something home that the department didn't want or need anymore. 

Don't think it has any inspection value what ever it is.

Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 06-24-2014 02:04
Metering jets for an "old style" paint gun? By "old style", I mean the all steel kind with the canister on the bottom from the '70's and '80's era.

Chris
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 06-24-2014 03:58
I used them to charge my rocket propelled tanks for the oh **** apocalypse ....because they have been exposed I naturally had to encapsulate them.   Excuse me but how exactly did you acquire theses and what is your address please?  BTW do you have a funny looking hexagon rash on your limbs>?
Parent - By CWI7611 (**) Date 06-27-2014 18:07
Maybe that's they are in the little plastic vials. I'd look for a skull and crossbones on them, but then I would probably have to take them out of the plastic vials. Could be nucular, George 43 pronounced it that way, why shouldn't I. I know it's nuclear,
Parent - - By Darrell_B (*) Date 06-27-2014 22:20
yeah- the long one's look like the center needle out of an old style Binks paint gun.

Early 70's? That's when I first was introduced to spraying red lead. After about 6 months of that, I pointed to the guy making sparks and asked "how do I get his job?" The rest, as they say, is history.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-02-2014 05:23
BWHAHAHAHHAHAHA  that was dang funny right der!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / what are these?