Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What Types of Welding Machine is This?
- - By valeria Date 06-27-2014 05:22
I found this in our storage room. I think this is the first welding machine of my dad.

Attachment: IMG_20140627_130133.jpg (968k)
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-27-2014 09:20
It would help if we could see the actual machine and not just a bundle of cables?
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 06-27-2014 20:01
The "stinger " looks like something off a battery charger.
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 06-28-2014 05:52
Looks like hand crank on top to change amperage with ?  Reckon it had a cover on it at one time ?  I don't have any idea right now what it is but another pic with cables off might help.
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 06-28-2014 10:30
Victoria,

I seem to agree with the other gentlemen's responses.
However, I dare to guess that your Dad's first machine might be a so-called 'Moveable Coil Transformer' (for Shielded Metal Arc Welding - SMAW), which btw would also confirm "FixaLinc's" recognition of a hand crank.
Differently to 'ctacker' however, I would suppose the "stinger" (which I suppose to be the electrode holder?) to be the 'work-' or 'workpiece clamp'.
The fact that there's (apparently) a certain amount of weld metal deposited on this part might indicate that your Dad was igniting his coated electrode before he was starting his actual welding operation.
That is. A "warm" electrode tip was often found to improve the arc ignition vs. a "cold" one.
That's especially easing the welder's life as far as 'Alternating Weld Current' is used as supplied by this/your piece of equipment (weld transformer).

I will attach both a modified image of your photograph + another image/sketch which, hopefully, makes clearer to you what I have tried to very basically describe above.
An excerpt from the AWS Welding Handbook "Welding Processes - Part 1", Vol. 2, 9th Ed., (2004); I very much hope though that the American Welding Society will not be sueing me now for using this sketch without asking the copyright holder for his written permission.
As a matter of fact, however, the Handbook named is a very helpful source of information in respect of answering questions to especially welding machines and peripheral equipment.
Hence, I just can recommend reading it. It's definitely worth its price.*

By all means. Have fun with testing your Dad's Shielded Metal Arc Welding machine.

*) @ 46.00: No, this is not a hidden advertisement. :)
Attachment: IMG_20140627_130133.jpg (98k)
Attachment: 001.jpg (244k)
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 06-28-2014 11:16
:lol:
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 06-29-2014 23:19
I would agree with you, I took one quick look and did not make out the stinger until you pointed it out. another instance of me spouting off before my brain reacts. :)
Parent - - By electrode (***) Date 06-30-2014 07:32
Thank you.

"...I took one quick look...".

Yes. I do very well understand.
On my first look at this piece of equipment I felt reminded of an "open can of worms".

Apart from that and with all due respect.
Reading other posts from this lady, e.g. 'https://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=257857#pid257857'; I'm in doubt a little whether she even has a welding 'Dad'.
Because, if she would have such a 'Dad', (hopefully) still alive, since obviously going to "love this hood", why didn't she ask him then what type of machine that is?
Strange...
Parent - By steelman7018 (*) Date 07-01-2014 13:29
Of course he is a welder. Can't you see the rod oven/refrigerator beside the welder? :smile:
Parent - - By Plasma56 (**) Date 07-01-2014 02:25
I'm agreeing with 46.00.
Like.
Parent - By valeria Date 07-08-2014 06:20
My dad was not a welder but he know how to welding. In fact, he loves DIY works as his past time. That welding was first welding machine brought in 80's. It have two coils. Now, he rarely use that. He always use mig welding machine. Anyway, I asked him about what types of welding machine was that. Unfortunately, he forgot.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What Types of Welding Machine is This?